Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Ok, so I have been pining for a new video card for the mac pro since I bought it (Sept. 2006). I felt at the time that $400 for a X1900XT was just a little too steep, and since a year has passed I'm definitely not willing to buy one for what they are asking.

I had been waiting for the 7th to see if they would refresh it then, but of course my dreams were dashed.

However I was looking on the store today and found a 7-10 week delay for new X1900XT kits.

Does anyone have any guesses as to if this means an update is coming or that ATI is just dragging its feet?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
the X1900 XT has been discontinued by ATI because it's a POS

Apple probably doesn't have the supply.

I'm still guessing there will be a new mac pro revision this month, including new video cards.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
The 7-10 week delay is because ATI no longer manufactures the card, as it has reached EOL some time ago. None of the third-party ATI manufacturers make it either.

Apple contracts Foxconn (maker of many things, including motherboards) to make the cards for Apple. The lead time is presumably to accrue enough orders so they can place one or more large orders at a time.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html

^ Mac Pro online feedback submission to Apple. :D

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
Q4 ends in September. Harpertown should be shipping by then. I expect an update to hit before years end. Which means 4 months. I doubt it will be held off til Macworld.

Paris Expo is the 25th(?) of next month. Which could bring a Mac Pro update. With Harpertown so close, it would seem Apple is holding off for that to being the 45nm transition for all their Macs. The PowerMac/Mac Pro has always been the benchmark for what is to come in the rest of their Macs. I imagine that will continue (CPU-wise).

With that in mind, it would seem logical for new GPUs to hit when new CPUs hit. Thus avoiding two updates.

peterg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Thank you, all this info is great and I'm definitely going ot fill out the Mac Pro form.

Thanks again.

vicious7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2007
Jacked into the net...
I am definitely one of many who are disappointed that the MP was not updated today. I told my guys to suffer through another couple of months while we wait for the new tech to be released. I need 4 of these buggers...:(

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I am definitely one of many who are disappointed that the MP was not updated today. I told my guys to suffer through another couple of months while we wait for the new tech to be released. I need 4 of these buggers...:(

It may not be that long. Heck it could be next week for all we know. It's just impossible to know with Apple whether they will do an update before moving to Penryn based systems.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Apple hasn't ever done a video card (only) refresh in the Mac Pro. A refresh of the whole computer itself is still a bit early. Look for something in September or October.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apple hasn't ever done a video card (only) refresh in the Mac Pro. A refresh of the whole computer itself is still a bit early. Look for something in September or October.
And the last thing that you could even call a refresh was the new processor option.

It's a year old machine.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006

Apple hasn't ever done a video card refresh... yeah, in it's long history the Mac Pro has never done this :rolleyes:

peterg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Apple hasn't ever done a video card refresh... yeah, in it's long history the Mac Pro has never done this :rolleyes:

Yea, but its basically the spiritual successor to the PowerMac GX with a new badge, so I see where he is coming from.

I mean even on Mac Rumors buyers guuide the Mac Pro has just taken over all the refresh data for the powermacs.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Yea, but its basically the spiritual successor to the PowerMac GX with a new badge, so I see where he is coming from.

I mean even on Mac Rumors buyers guuide the Mac Pro has just taken over all the refresh data for the powermacs.

Fair point. Ever get the feeling apple wish they didn't have to "do" video cards.

peterg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2006
Fair point. Ever get the feeling apple wish they didn't have to "do" video cards.

Yea, definitely, probably because they can't control what the hardware is going to be, but its output makes or breaks how their software looks and feels. Its probably annoying. Oh well, hope they update and gimme something.

damado

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
The 7-10 week delay is because ATI no longer manufactures the card, as it has reached EOL some time ago. None of the third-party ATI manufacturers make it either.

Apple contracts Foxconn (maker of many things, including motherboards) to make the cards for Apple. The lead time is presumably to accrue enough orders so they can place one or more large orders at a time.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html

^ Mac Pro online feedback submission to Apple. :D

Thanks, I sent my desperate plea for a new video card in :D

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Sent feedback as well to help the cause. Lets just get everyone on Mac Rumours to send feedback and hopefully the flood of e-mails will give Apple the kick up the back side they require to actually implement the change.

Firebar

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
Bah! I need a computer now and I dont like the iMac's. Not to mention their appauling HD2600 Pro's. Looks like I'll have to buy a Mac Pro now and then just update the video card later on.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Bah! I need a computer now and I dont like the iMac's. Not to mention their appauling HD2600 Pro's. Looks like I'll have to buy a Mac Pro now and then just update the video card later on.
Have you voiced your frustration about the lack of current video cards in the Mac Pro to Apple yet????

Click the link in my signature. It will make you feel better. :D

flappo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
in the cubicles
as has been mentioned a million times already , simply upgrade the pro when new cards come out

it's not like they're going from agp to pci express all over again with the new video card is it ?

the next video card will be compatible with the existing pro's video slot , so why worry ?

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
as has been mentioned a million times already , simply upgrade the pro when new cards come out

it's not like they're going from agp to pci express all over again with the new video card is it ?

the next video card will be compatible with the existing pro's video slot , so why worry ?

For some people because that will be another 300+$ they have to spend. Maybe more knowing Apple GPU markup. You are right though it is nothing to really worry about but maybe be concerned about your money. You are getting the short end of the stick at the moment. For some people that doesn't matter but for some it does.

Firebar

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
Have you voiced your frustration about the lack of current video cards in the Mac Pro to Apple yet????

I most certainly have!! :D

I will be one of the first peeps to pick up an HD2900 or an 8800 when the new cards come out. Thing being that when they do the G92's will probably come out the next week and in a 1 1/2 years time we'll all be in the same situation.

mdio1234

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2007
imac faster graphics than mac pro

they should upgrade the mac pro because right now the imac has better graphics with the 256mb hd2600xt pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.