Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitch Rapp

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Where does everybody get their music? Do you all buy all of your music from iTunes. I don't mind paying, but after a while it gets kind of expensive! Is there someplace that's not as hard on the wallet?

Sorry for the ignorant question, but I'm more used to going down to the local record shop waaaaaay back in the day and "taping" my music from the radio!

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Was Spotify, then Rdio, then Beats Music, now Apple Music. I haven't bought a song from iTunes in 3 years.

Reactions: Mitch Rapp

wwohl

macrumors regular
May 2, 2013
I'm not sure about Apple Music, but all of my Spotify playlists are downloaded for offline listening. That also cuts down on data usage

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Apple Music or Spotify are $10/month each, and you can listen to all the music you want + keep music downloaded offline for when your connection is spotty. It's a lot cheaper than purchasing all your songs and it's a lot more convenient than physical media.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
To those with Apple Music, can you keep songs you've downloaded if you choose to end your subscription?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Where does everybody get their music? Do you all buy all of your music from iTunes. I don't mind paying, but after a while it gets kind of expensive! Is there someplace that's not as hard on the wallet?

Sorry for the ignorant question, but I'm more used to going down to the local record shop waaaaaay back in the day and "taping" my music from the radio!

No question is a stupid question. Unless it's a really stupid question. I don't think I'd have the patience to be a parent. :oops: Anyway, a little story to explain my reasoning...

Waaaay back when, after upgrading from 56K to broadband (woah, you can use the phone at the same time as browsing the Internet!), downloading music through eMule/Limewire was pretty much the norm. That's how I discovered all the music I liked, really. It was a painstaking process of sifting through terrible bitrate/quality issues, avoiding viruses (Tupac_discography.exe), and piecing together an album from what a Google search told you the tracklisting was.

When I found myself listening to a specific band more and more, I made the conscious decision to save up my hard-earned and ponied up for the album. The quality would really impress me and it was great to have something physical in your hand.

Downloading was the way to discover the music. After all, who would blindly pay £15 for an album they've never heard -- especially if they're of a much younger generation and don't have disposable income?

These days, we've got things like Apple Music and Spotify. I really think they're fantastic compared to what the alternative was, and a lot of people don't remember the state of things before big companies really started to take music streaming seriously. You can play/discover songs free of charge, or through a trial. Every play is guaranteed to be of consistent quality, and you know something goes towards the artist. Even if they're shavings of a penny, or even if it just means that their play count goes up by one, it's something.

I always think that if there's a legal, reasoned and convenient way to do something, people won't be as tempted to take the pirating route.

TL;DR: Streaming all the way to discover, listen, and create playlists. But if you really, really love an album, I'd still say you should buy it to support that artist a little more. :)

Reactions: MLVC and Mitch Rapp

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Thank you everyone. How about offline options?
Downloadable on Apple Music.

Only problem I have....

I like to keep the music on my phone. When you 'add' a song to your library, it doesn't get automatically downloaded to your phone. You have to manually do that. (I already know the phone symbol shows up next to a song that is DL'd).

I wish there was an option to 'list music' that is in your library, but not downloaded physically to your phone so I can download them. I keep turning off the option to stream through cellular and I come across songs all the time that aren't actually on my phone. 256gb in the new 7 series makes space for me a non issue.
[doublepost=1473862170][/doublepost]
No question is a stupid question. Unless it's a really stupid question. I don't think I'd have the patience to be a parent. :oops: Anyway, a little story to explain my reasoning...

Waaaay back when, after upgrading from 56K to broadband (woah, you can use the phone at the same time as browsing the Internet!), downloading music through eMule/Limewire was pretty much the norm. That's how I discovered all the music I liked, really. It was a painstaking process of sifting through terrible bitrate/quality issues, avoiding viruses (Tupac_discography.exe), and piecing together an album from what a Google search told you the tracklisting was.

When I found myself listening to a specific band more and more, I made the conscious decision to save up my hard-earned and ponied up for the album. The quality would really impress me and it was great to have something physical in your hand.

Downloading was the way to discover the music. After all, who would blindly pay £15 for an album they've never heard -- especially if they're of a much younger generation and don't have disposable income?

These days, we've got things like Apple Music and Spotify. I really think they're fantastic compared to what the alternative was, and a lot of people don't remember the state of things before big companies really started to take music streaming seriously. You can play/discover songs free of charge, or through a trial. Every play is guaranteed to be of consistent quality, and you know something goes towards the artist. Even if they're shavings of a penny, or even if it just means that their play count goes up by one, it's something.

I always think that if there's a legal, reasoned and convenient way to do something, people won't be as tempted to take the pirating route.

TL;DR: Streaming all the way to discover, listen, and create playlists. But if you really, really love an album, I'd still say you should buy it to support that artist a little more. :)

I'm trying to find out if the artists get paid more in the long run if you listen to their song 1,000 times on a streaming service, or if you pay for the album one time earning the artist their royalty?

I think they also get gold and platinum 'bonuses'?

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I'm trying to find out if the artists get paid more in the long run if you listen to their song 1,000 times on a streaming service, or if you pay for the album one time earning the artist their royalty?

That's a good question. I'm honestly not too sure. But for the ones I really love, I buy their albums, buy the vinyls, buy the shirts, go see them live, and listen to them on Spotify at work too :D

So I'm hoping I've got all the bases covered!

Reactions: Steve686

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
That's a good question. I'm honestly not too sure. But for the ones I really love, I buy their albums, buy the vinyls, buy the shirts, go see them live, and listen to them on Spotify at work too :D

So I'm hoping I've got all the bases covered!
So you remember Metallica and the Napster days, huh?

I freaked and deleted like 8,000 songs in fear of getting sued by them. Lol.

But, they do put on a great show.

Reactions: keysofanxiety

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Yep! I'm ashamed to say I'm a little petulant when it comes to Metallica, though.

I've previously pirated their music, listened to it, deleted it, and downloaded it again. I'm not even joking. I just imagine Lars' dumb face, with his big throbbing vein and stupid cabbage-looking grimace, getting steadily redder at the thought.

However, my hatred for Lars transcends emotion, so that's more an exception to the rule!

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
I'm more used to going down to the local record shop waaaaaay back in the day and "taping" my music from the radio!
Same here sort of. I prefer CD's raw quality and copy to iTunes uncompressed and sync to my phone takes up lots of storage space but thanks to the new phones larger capacity no problems...finally.

I stopped downloading from iTunes long ago when I found out they were ripping us off selling 128K quality music I think they since bumped it up to 256K still unacceptable. And yes I can tell the difference in sound quality you don't hear the clear separation everything is muffled together.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Spotify premium, its great because other people in your house can join and you can share your account! PLUS YOU GET OFFLINE MUSIC, really is the best as others have already stated!

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016

I remember working with couple guys who got fired re-using decommissioned servers at work to tap into Napster and open music to everyone in our group, the days when Novell was Microsoft's worst fear. It was crazy how everyone at work had easy access to thousands of bands.

Metallica yes all professionals when you hear them live they have the sound engineering all figured out.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Downloadable on Apple Music.

Only problem I have....

I like to keep the music on my phone. When you 'add' a song to your library, it doesn't get automatically downloaded to your phone. You have to manually do that. (I already know the phone symbol shows up next to a song that is DL'd).

I wish there was an option to 'list music' that is in your library, but not downloaded physically to your phone so I can download them. I keep turning off the option to stream through cellular and I come across songs all the time that aren't actually on my phone. 256gb in the new 7 series makes space for me a non issue.
[doublepost=1473862170][/doublepost]

There is an option in Settings -> Music - > Automatic Downloads "Automatically download music when added to your Library so you can play it offline"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.