Problem using Samsung U28D590 Monitor with Late 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joebressler, Sep 16, 2015.

1. joebressler, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

joebressler macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am having issues using my new Samsung U28D590 monitor with my late 2011 Macbook pro.

The specs on this machine are as follows:
    OSX Yosemite 10.10.1
    2GHz Intel core i7
    16GB Ram 1333MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256MB

I am connecting this machine to the display via a DisplayPort connection and the machine detects the display. However, I can not get it to show anything from the Macbook Pro except for in 1024x768 (low resolution). I understand there are limits to the graphics card on this machine, however I just would like things to display properly scaled. Can anyone help me in terms of achieving this or possibly utilizing this display in a higher resolution with this machine?

Edit: Also worth noting is that connecting this display to the machine disables audio volume controls as well as it only works in mirrored mode.

Thanks!

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Try a display port to HDMI adaptor and see if that works better.

3. Buggyflayer macrumors regular

although this thread is for another monitor, the advice may help you
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/rmbp-and-u2415-set-up.1904337/#post-21650771

as for the audio over displayport (which is why I'm searching today) it seems its 'normal' function that OSX hands the control to the external device. However I notice can control audio output from an application such as iTunes

I just tried Soundflower as a global-audio workaround but alas, spinning beachball when I tried to configure it on Yosemite 10.10.5