Problem with 17" 2011 MacBook pros's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dwhynman, Mar 3, 2011.

1. dwhynman macrumors regular

I have had me new 17" fully loaded for 48 hours now. I have been noticing screen problems when I open up the screen from sleep. But it usually goes away in a second. Tonight the screen was messed up and then it froze. So then I called apple and the automated computer prompted me to find out if I was calling about my new computer and then directed me directly to a senior advisor. It turns out that apple knows about these problems and are working on a firmware update. I sure hope this works. is anyone else noticing problems yet. Also when I open the screen the screen is first narrow and then widens to full screen after a second.

2. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

Keep us posted, I just ordered a BTO 2.3 17" 2 days ago.:confused:

3. kjos8035 macrumors member

Getting my 17" 2.3ghz tomorrow. If this happens I will cut somebody.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

Please tell me where you live. :D

Anyway, at least they are on it. I haven't noticed anything......yet

5. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I have a 15' 2.3Ghz and already on my second computer in a week. The first one would not wake from sleep and I had display issues (blank and then lines and dots). The HDD volume finally corrupted and I could not even boot from my OS X disk to repair it. The Genius Bar could not boot it. Apple Store replaced it. Now my second one already froze during sleep (when it auto sleeps) and iMovie is freezing when I edit video.

I am f*#k'in pissed after spending $3,000 on this. I am considering taking it back for a full refund and put a SDD in my 2008 MBP.

6. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Same here, if I'm doing anything in the background when it goes to sleep it just freezes up, I just tried to rip a DVD and it froze twice, closing it down before it melts. It's to hot to hold:mad::mad:

7. zenio macrumors 6502

I don't blame you.

This is but another example of Apples declining quality. While any manufacturer is bound to build a bad machine here & there, recently Apples been doing far worse than most realize. I believe a lot of these go unreported since fanboys tend to be such strong zealots they don't mention it.

I buy a new MBP each year when their updated. It's been three years since the first one I ordered was OK. Two years ago it took four before I got one that was right. Last year it took three returns. If that's not a trend I don't know what is.

8. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I've got my fingers crossed that my CTO 17" doesn't come in with problems. My old late 08 MBP had absolutely no problems, and never had to be taken into the Apple store once. I hope to have the same experience this year. Also, my refurb MBA doesn't have problems either.

9. dwhynman thread starter macrumors regular

Have anyone else noticed any more problems like this

10. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I've not had any sleep issues on my 17" and it has an SSD in the main drive.

11. pctomac2011 macrumors member

Not this in particular, however I do notice my 15" new MBP is INCREDIBLY hot, when doing basic tasks.. For instance installing SC2 (Starcraft 2), my proc was hitting 75-80 celsius.. and lagged for several minutes afterwards.

I'm within my 14 days, and am strongly considering a return at this point, it does have me worried..

12. TheHoff macrumors 6502

I don't know what it is doing while installing it but try playing it for 30-60 minutes. If it goes above 85/90 I'd take it back. It should idle around 40 or lower sitting on a table given normal room temps.

13. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Got my 17" yesterday. Display is perfect, sleep/wake w/o problems. I have the ssd though, so it might be a stock HDD problem.

14. renaultf1 macrumors newbie

I saw a post on the Apple forums today that turning off automatic graphics switching in system preferences seemed to fix the wake from sleep issue that you guys are writing about.

Myself...fingers crossed, my 15" 2.2 doesn't have the issue - even without auto graphic switching still on.

15. ozred macrumors 6502

It will _not_ be the HDD.

16. kjos8035 macrumors member

orly?

17. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

My 2011 13 MBP seems to have wake from sleep issues if I allow it to AUTO SLEEP.

screen will be black or scrambled graphics.

If i put it to sleep myself no problems at all.

Oh, yes, also a bit hot when playing 720 or 1080 videos from youtube...zooms up past 90C then the fans kick in to 6200 rmp...

Apple, firmware fixes, please!

18. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

OK - we are certain Apple will refund your $$$.

19. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

My only issues thus far - and Apple swapped me out, this one hasn't exhibited them, were as follows.
    • Fairly high heat ratings according to iStat Pro, upwards of 85%. What's funny is that the new MBP feels just as hot, at least the case, but the CPU will report only like 65%-70%.
    • Uneven keyboard lighting. This seems to plague the majority of them where the 5 key is brighter than the rest. In my case at max brightness the lighting on all keys except the 5 was pathetic compared to the 2010. There's a screenshot in another thread that shows exactly what was happening.
    • Weird pixel - couldn't tell if it was a dead pixel or stuck pixel, just off center. Only showed on white or light backgrounds. Annoying.

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Are you nuts, they are the best at keeping the best product out there. They report everything. Remember the 27 iMac yellow issue, the fanboys were almost hallucinating yellow everywhere.

21. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Yeah the sky is falling. There are actual statistics on this and they don't back you up.

22. h00ligan macrumors 68030

reading these forums has me depressed. My 13 had a dent on arrival.. the more i read about heat etc.. the more I think.. screw it.. ssd my reliable 2007 c2d and go to 6 gb ram.

23. Gemylon macrumors newbie

So...

Any news on a Firmware update to address these issues?

Thanks

G

24. Zwopple macrumors regular

I have the same issues with my new 17" Macbook Pro 2011. I swapped it's default 750gb hd with my existing OCZ Vertex 2 240gb SSD.

1) When awaking from sleep the screen is sometimes very scrambled lines, shapes and colors. Normally takes a second or two to go away
    2) When awaking from sleep the screen is sometimes black and computer unresponsive. Requires putting back to sleep and waking back up lots to get it become responsive.

I've turned off the "Automatic graphics card switching" from the energy saver preferences which appears to have fixed the problem.

Console logs some info off about inability to restore main graphics card and hence the massive hangs/graphic bugs. I'm sure it's just a firmware update I'm not taking it back down to the shop just yet.

25. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Not sure how you can say it with such conviction. I may have just overlooked it, but I have yet to see anyone with a CTO SSD experience these issues. If you want to make such definitive statements like that, show some proof?