Problem with bootcamp!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wgr73, Aug 20, 2008.

1. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I started the bootcamp utility and did the default 32gb partition for windows xp. I have 170gb free on my main partition before the XP partition....so it says start installing windows now or later...I choose now and it starts booting my windows xp cd and asks me to select a partition to install xp on. THERE IS ONLY 1 PARTITION!! AND ITS 132gb!! I'm pretty sure that this is my main Mac OS partition. The other windows/bootcamp partition (32gb) is not showing up.

So I take out the disc and try to boot OSX, and all I get is a screen with a black cursor (like its trying to boot windows but can't find the files). Please help me if you can...Thanks guys!

2. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Did you try to hold down the option key shortly after the startup sound and see if OS X shows up?

Just hold the Option key during OS X's boot to run the Startup Manager, a graphical tool from which you can select the volume you want to boot.

[​IMG]

3. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

I did try that, all that shows up is the windows partition...

4. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

5. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

What would cause this?! Having to reinstall is going to piss me off! I just set this computer up 2 days ago! lol, that would suck

6. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

I don't know what would cause this unless Boot Camp inadvertently erased your Leopard partition, and created just one Windows partition. Someone more experienced may have a better answer, though.

7. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Ok, thanks for your help. I wanna try to get this figured out!

8. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

You could try to repair your HD with the Disk Utility that is on the Leopard installation DVD.

I will be googling around in the meanwhile...

Btw, when it got to the screen asking for what partition to install, did you see only the C drive or multiple drives? Because if you have ignored the Boot camp install instructions, you might have allowed the windows installer to "Use Entire Disk".

9. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Only the C: drive

How would you do this heaven? BTW, thanks! Here is someone with the exact problem im having...

10. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

*************UPDATE****************

Now I'm getting the following:

C: Partition1 [Unknown] 131072 MB <131071 MB Free>
    E: Partition2 [New <Raw>] 107388 MB <107387 MB Free>
    Unpartitioned space 8 MB

11. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

Looking at those numbers doesn't make me feel good, because it basically says that your drive is partitioned in half and both of them are totally wiped..

Did you have any look with disk utility from the install dvd?

12. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

yeah, and it just said 232gb...that it was not partitioned!

13. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

I think that reinstall will really be your only option, unless someone here will be able to offer a better solution.

I suggest that you strictly follow this guide.

Good luck with that

[​IMG]

14. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Son of a:mad::mad:...Is there any way to recover data? My other computer got a virus today so all that info is out the window as well! This is crazy!

15. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Everything in disk utility is grayed out so I can't even reformat!!

16. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Everything will remain grayed out until you startup from your installer disk and use Disk Utility on there (in the menus as the very start of installation) or just choosing to do a clean install from that disk.

I assume you are running Disk Utility from the disk you want to format, so Disk Utility cannot delete itself hence the grayed out look.

17. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Actually I have the OS disc in and everything is still grayed out! Is there another way around this? The OS is seeing my disc as being formatted in windows now :rolleyes:

18. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

19. superknoppix macrumors member

superknoppix

If this information is from xp installer then your mac os partition could still have everything on it... the xp installer cant tell if there are files on a mac partition.(i think)

20. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Wow- this a real head scratcher (along with the other thread you noted!). :(

I just noticed in the info you posted earlier that it notes [MBR]- was this in Disk Utility? The reason I mention that is that MBR is the partitioning scheme in Windows (Master Boot Record) which for Mac use needs to be APM for PPC based Macs or GUID for Intel-based--- SO, my next question would be does Disk Utility have everything in the Partition tab grayed out as well as the Erase tab? If not, changing the number of partitions on the disk back to one at the top and selecting "GUID" in the Options button at the bottom (which WILL be grayed out until you change the number of partitions BTW) should get you back.

One other thought- on the left side of Disk Utility you are selecting the device in the list rather than the individual partitions on it aren't you? Just trying to figure out WHAT the heck could be causing this, so please do not be offended by a simple question like that! :D

And you are sure the OS installer disk is booting and you are using the copy of Disk Utility on it right? I know you said earlier that it is in, but just want to make sure it booting from it as well as it being in! ;)

21. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Perfect ... How much stuff could you have really put on the thing in two days ;)

I kid, sorta ... reinstalling is always a pain ... I've been getting in the habit of doing everything on an external drive first now ... that way if I mess up ... I can keep retesting until I get it right :)

good luck buddy

22. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Hey. Yes everything is grayed out in all the tabs. I selected the device (not disk0) and still have no options. Also, yes I am booting from the disc...when I hold down the option button during bootup there is no hard drive so Its gotta be booting off of the disc. As a side note, when I open disk utility I can hear the DVD spin up. Thanks for your help trying to figure this out guys. I would really love to get my data back!

23. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Well I called apple and they said to take my computer to Best Buy and have the guys reformat my disk with one of their macs....som I'm on my way:rolleyes:

Thanks for all the help guys! ;)

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Did you buy it at Best Buy?

25. wgr73 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wgr73

No.

I'm getting a box in the mail tomorrow....its going to the Apple repair shop.:mad: This really infuriates me. Hahaha, thats what I get for messing with "Windows" I guess! :rolleyes: