Problem with Buyer's Guide?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by lofight, Nov 7, 2007.

1. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Maybe i could be wrong, but in the Buyer's Guide in section iPhone, it says 63 days, end of Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle. How could that be? The iphone hasn't been updated since then.

Lorenz

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, the price drop and the discontinuation of the 4 GB model happened 68 days after the initial release, so the software is automatically predicting update intervals based on that single data point.

In other words, don't trust it until there's more data.

3. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

oh, i get it. That's not really an update is it?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You're right...it's really just a quasi-update. No models were updated...just pricing and a discontinuation. But it should be noted in some form, as you wouldn't expect another update immediately after that sort of event. It's an inexact science. Well, it's not really science at all. ;)

The extreme version of this type of thing is the displays, where the specs change only rarely, and so price drops are what generally constitutes an update.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

well...

it was an odd update. price drop. if you were waiting on an iphone, it was the time to buy. unfortunately it screws up the scale and we don't have enough data.

I used to be able to manually override the calculation but that feature isn't there at the moment. I'll try to fix that.

arn

6. lofight thread starter macrumors 68000

lofight

good, because i really don't see apple updating their iphone each 3 months orso.