Problem with iTunes - No solution found

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tatroko, Sep 7, 2009.

1. tatroko macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just got a new MacBook Pro and, well, the problem with itunes is simple :
    As soon as I open an mp3 file to listen to it, it immediately and automatically adds it to the library. How to solve this ?

Normally, I guess, we should click on "add to library" to add files...

My iTunes version is 8.1 and am running mac OS X Leopard 10.5.7

Thank you

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You can right click on the file, and choose more info, and under open with, choose something like QuickTime player. So that way it won't be imported to iTunes.

Attached Files:

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

While you're in the Finder, right click on one of the files you want to listen to, and choose "Get Info". From here, you'll see a section of the window called "Open with".

It's probably set for iTunes -- just change it to something more appropriate (like QuickTime Player), and then hit the "Change All" button to make all files of that type open in QuickTime.

4. tatroko thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it normal that it copies it directly to the library ? Or is it an anomaly on my mac ?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It has done this as long as I've known.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you don't want it to copy the file into your iTunes library folder and only add it to your library, you can disable it in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced. Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library".

This is also useful when you want to separate some files from your normal library. I use it so I can keep my audio files on my internal drive, but yet keep the large tv/movie files on an external drive.