Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
got a watch yesterday for my graduation. Was happy till I saw this. And I didn't take it anywhere besides my bed and couch. Kinda frustrating that this is on a brand new watch.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    787.2 KB · Views: 617

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It almost looks like it rubbed/scraped against something. But if you're within your 14 day return period, you can return it and purchase another one.

Reactions: FrisbeeK9

DeNachtwacht

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
If the warranty doesn't cover it, these protectors hide the damage and are really cheap. The watch looks a little bit more bulkier but I am satisfied with the protection, and the added benefit of choosing different colors (I bought a black and a silver one).

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
It almost looks like it rubbed/scraped against something. But if you're within your 14 day return period, you can return it and purchase another one.
It's under the actual sapphire I noticed it when I put it on the first time. But I couldn't do anything because it was already too late to go back the the store. I'm going there now cause stuff like this is irritating. This is the fourth time I got something from Apple and already had issues. I think they know me at my store by now lol. Bad luck I guess.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's under the actual sapphire I noticed it when I put it on the first time. But I couldn't do anything because it was already too late to go back the the store. I'm going there now cause stuff like this is irritating. This is the fourth time I got something from Apple and already had issues. I think they know me at my store by now lol. Bad luck I guess.

Well least you caught the issue early. And then you're within your 14 day return period, where you can just exchange it for new one. Hopefully your second Apple Watch goes better.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

Simple really.
Under the sapphire? It's a manufacturing defect. Return it
On top of the sapphire. It got scratched by a big diamond :)

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
Well least you caught the issue early. And then you're within your 14 day return period, where you can just exchange it for new one. Hopefully your second Apple Watch goes better.
Simple really.
Under the sapphire? It's a manufacturing defect. Return it
On top of the sapphire. It got scratched by a big diamond :)
I'm at the Apple store and one of the employees told me it's normal -__- He said it's like that on all the sides. And it's not. I'll just return it and get another.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm at the Apple store and one of the employees told me it's normal -__- He said it's like that on all the sides. And it's not. I'll just return it and get another.

I also own the black stainless with Sapphire and I don't think that's normal at all. I've never seen any pictures with those types of markings on it. Good idea about returning and getting another one.

Reactions: Mudodonbond

QzzB

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
London
If apple say that is normal, then return it anyway. Apple Store has a 14 day open box return policy, will return for any reason - providing its not damaged.

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
If apple say that is normal, then return it anyway. Apple Store has a 14 day open box return policy, will return for any reason - providing its not damaged.
It's what I'm doing. I just have to talk to my dad because he paid for half and I paid for the other half. He was gonna get me AirPods but when I was getting the Watch these two guys bought the last 4 -_-

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
Update. I haven't had time to return it but I am currently chatting with a senior advisor at Apple. He declared it as a manufacturing defect. He told me to return it or get it replaced lol I knew it.
[doublepost=1488219470][/doublepost]He just told me during my appointment that they should be able to help me and he's giving me his contact info to make sure they handle it properly. except he's in the states and I'm in Germany and my appointment is at 11am Friday haha I'd have to wait a while for a response.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Update. I haven't had time to return it but I am currently chatting with a senior advisor at Apple. He declared it as a manufacturing defect. He told me to return it or get it replaced lol I knew it.
[doublepost=1488219470][/doublepost]He just told me during my appointment that they should be able to help me and he's giving me his contact info to make sure they handle it properly. except he's in the states and I'm in Germany and my appointment is at 11am Friday haha I'd have to wait a while for a response.

I thought you were going to return it for a new one?

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
Keep in mind that, for warranty issues, the Apple Store does not do replacements. All Apple Watches must be sent to the repair centre and mailed back to the store. It's a better idea to do this over the phone instead so it gets sent back to your address.

Returns are a different story.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Keep in mind that, for warranty issues, the Apple Store does not do replacements. All Apple Watches must be sent to the repair centre and mailed back to the store. It's a better idea to do this over the phone instead so it gets sent back to your address.

Returns are a different story.

I don't believe the OP's issue can be repaired. however, the OP was in a 14 day return period for an alleged manufacture issue to his watch. Which he stated he was going to return to begin with due to damage to the Watch.

And yes, Apple does not carry Watch replacements inside the store.

Last edited:

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
I don't believe the OP's issue can be repaired. however, the OP was in a 14 day return period for an alleged manufacture issue to his watch. Which he stated he was going to return to begin with due to damage to the Watch.

And yes, Apple does not carry Watch replacements inside the store.
Im stil. going to return but I would need my father there as he bought the Watch for me and would have to rebuy it. Which sucks cause he has to work and Saturday we are busy. And Sunday's the store is a closed

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Im stil. going to return but I would need my father there as he bought the Watch for me and would have to rebuy it. Which sucks cause he has to work and Saturday we are busy. And Sunday's the store is a closed

How long of you had the watch now? Just curious, being it's a 14 day return policy.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
You'd probably only 'return and rebuy' it if you are worried about matching serial numbers for the box and the actual Watch.

You can have it 'replaced' without your father present and a puck will be sent to you...I believe.

I had a S1 SS watch that developed a black spot by the dial and Apple sent me a white box with a new puck. Different serial number, of course.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Sorry to hear and trust me I know this is very frustrating!! This is definitely not normal and they should be able to exchange it for you right away. Obviously the person you've talked to didn't care.

I also recommend getting the AppleCare+, the express replacement alone is worth it.

Good luck and congrats on your graduation mate.

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
Sorry to hear and trust me I know this is very frustrating!! This is definitely not normal and they should be able to exchange it for you right away. Obviously the person you've talked to didn't care.

I also recommend getting the AppleCare+, the express replacement alone is worth it.

Good luck and congrats on your graduation mate.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Spoke to apple support they said 60 :) so I have enough time I hope haha. Kinda want some more bands. Not really a fan of the black sports band. I like the white though

Nice, 60 days is plenty of time. I own the white sports band and it's one of my favorites. It has a clean look and easily can be worn with anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.