Problem with PMs/Conversations Pre and Post Migration

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by bunnspecial, Jun 3, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've had the same problem happen to me twice now with two different members.

Basically, what happened is I had a conversation going with via PM on the old forum software. I then received a response that showed up in my email inbox, but it didn't show up in my conversations folder on here. Clicking on the link in the email leads me to a dead end.

Overall, I actually really like the new conversation set-up as it makes it easier to keep track of discussions and find what's been said in the past without having to deal with digging back through my folder(I have some conversations that I have been going on several months now). With that said, though, the migration "teething pains" have been a bit of a problem, especially since both involved a seller communicating either on something I'd already bought or was trying to buy.

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

This morning, every PM I've ever received is slowly popping up as a notification from Tapatalk, but weirdly all the messages are addressed from arn.

I've turned notifications from Tapatalk off for the moment as every four minutes it pops up with another one.

It's very strange, I presume just a hiccup due to the migration?

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

It's very strange.

Attached Files:

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

@cambookpro that's strange. it's happening right now? I'm rebuilding the conversation cache right now. This might be a tapatalk bug.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yes, every few minutes another one comes up. One just appeared as I was typing this! Certainly seems like it could be a Tapatalk bug as nothing is appearing on the actual forums.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

@cambookpro I'm guessing that Tapatalk monitors the database tables somehow and issues pushes based on changes. Rebuilding the conversation cache must be triggering it.

arn

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

arn, i just got a tapatalk message notification from you too just now. when i clicked on it on the app, there is nothing to load. when i check on the site on a computer, again nothing.

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

@dictoresno unfortunately, I think a lot of people just got a bunch of push notifications via taptalk "from me". It should be a one time thing, but people might be unhappy about it.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I could care less lol I love the attention. Just wanted you to know the other user wasn't alone in case it was another bug causing it you were trying to track down. All is well!

oh and be advised, the "messages" indeed include topics and partial conversations. i dont know if they are your messages or other users messages with your name tagged to it. but we can see the first line of other peoples messages that were typed.

10. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Decided to go clean my inbox via Tapatalk and was surprised to see that all my old PMs say they are from arn. I think you're right about it being a Tapatalk bug because even the timestamp is incorrect. They all say 4 hours ago when really they are more than two weeks old.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433428554.283665.jpg

11. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Can you try to visit these pms again? I rebuilt our conversation cache and suspect it will work now.

arn

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Just checked, and they still are not there.

It's not a huge deal as I've still kept the conversation going with those people, but it's a bit of annoyance to have to track down and old PM from them to respond when the new one doesn't show up in my inbox.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member