Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

and 4096 others like this

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Hi!

I have iPadOS 14 for quite some time and I noticed, that this version struggle so much during YouTube watching, it is almost unsuable. I contacted with Apple and they checked device, cause I thought it was damaged… Hardware is ok. Software - it was restored few times, even installed as brand new, without iCloud backup. So:

- response time after i click enlarge the video in Safari is terrible, it tooks sometimes 2-3 seconds to react and during that time video freezing

- very, very often after enlarging video, it is bad scaled. Black bard on top and bottom are not the same size, few buttons are cut out

Apple service said no one else contacted with such problem. I bought this iPad after event in 2018 and in 2020 I installed iPadOS 14. I remember how long iPad Air 2 last without problems. 6th gen iPad took only 2 years to be unusable :( anyone of you have similar problem?

I know it has A10 chip, but in my mom’s iPhone 7 Plus Safari works superb. I wish I could go back to iOS 12 or 13 officialy :(

Attachments

• 4E6018F2-A7EA-425D-8BDD-F3DA6BAA63BB.jpeg
    4E6018F2-A7EA-425D-8BDD-F3DA6BAA63BB.jpeg
    356.2 KB · Views: 130

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Not my experience. YouTube via browser is unchanged in iOS 14 to me on the devices I own.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
It’s extremely hard to visualise what you’re seeing with the photo you have posted. Take a better one with the ipad fully in the frame and the machine level - it ill be easier to see the issue probably.

Reactions: haruhiko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
It’s extremely hard to visualise what you’re seeing with the photo you have posted. Take a better one with the ipad fully in the frame and the machine level - it ill be easier to see the issue probably.
I have no iPad at the moment, I will take new picture later on.

right now I edited old picture, now you can see missing buttons and unmatched bars. I just don’t know what to do… Apple seems have no problem with that…

Attachments

• 377416EC-B06D-456D-8C64-C9A273D6AA9C.jpeg
    377416EC-B06D-456D-8C64-C9A273D6AA9C.jpeg
    411.7 KB · Views: 81

Joplin

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
Interesting, I experience the same issues on my 6th gen iPad. I just kind of figured ‘they’ want you to use the YouTube app so playback in Safari is a little more buggy.

For clarification the two things I experience are:

1. Going full screen often cuts off part of the image. To fix this I rotate the device to portrait mode (you then see the image ‘snap’ to the center of the screen), then back to landscape all whilst playing in full screen mode. It is then properly aligned.
2. Going full screen with a video is indeed quite laggy.

Once playback is underway it all works fine and smooth, so I have taken the above for granted. You get used to having to rotate the device at the start of playback…

Is this behavior not normal for other models?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Interesting, I experience the same issues on my 6th gen iPad. I just kind of figured ‘they’ want you to use the YouTube app so playback in Safari is a little more buggy.

For clarification the two things I experience are:

1. Going full screen often cuts off part of the image. To fix this I rotate the device to portrait mode (you then see the image ‘snap’ to the center of the screen), then back to landscape all whilst playing in full screen mode. It is then properly aligned.
2. Going full screen with a video is indeed quite laggy.

Once playback is underway it all works fine and smooth, so I have taken the above for granted. You get used to having to rotate the device at the start of playback…

Is this behavior not normal for other models?
I have also iPad Air 4 gen. Enlarging it is smooth like my face after shave… No problem with scale, missing buttons etc. So IMO this is problem with 6gen and either A10 missing power or maybe because of 2 GB of RAM? The 7 gen I had for few weeks (same chip, more RAM and 10,2” screen) seems flawless

Joplin

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
I have also iPad Air 4 gen. Enlarging it is smooth like my face after shave… No problem with scale, missing buttons etc. So IMO this is problem with 6gen and either A10 missing power or maybe because of 2 GB of RAM? The 7 gen I had for few weeks (same chip, more RAM and 10,2” screen) seems flawless
Fascinating! I just wrote it off as some silly iOS/iPadOS behavior. Surprising to hear that this might be limited to the 6th gen. Maybe someone with a 5th gen iPad (also 2 GB RAM) can chime in and report if they experience this as well.

As for the 6th gen: try my rotating workaround if you haven’t already. For me it’s perfectly usable that way.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2018
Fascinating! I just wrote it off as some silly iOS/iPadOS behavior. Surprising to hear that this might be limited to the 6th gen. Maybe someone with a 5th gen iPad (also 2 GB RAM) can chime in and report if they experience this as well.

As for the 6th gen: try my rotating workaround if you haven’t already. For me it’s perfectly usable that way.
I will try it next time, thank you. I hope there will be iPadOS 15 for iPad 6 and Safari will behave better than now…

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have had this behaviour (part of the screen hidden) occasionally but I can't reproduce it systematically on any of my (many) iPads...
The lag is due to a combination of CPU and (lack of) RAM.
It's not Safari, it's youtube. The youtube app is much more optimized, but, if like me, you don't want ads, you use Safari.
Youtube on a browser is pretty demanding when it comes to maximizing, minimizing etc. Even the A10X has some stutters at times, only the the A12 an up is completely lag free.
As for RAM, I have the 9,7 pro with 2GB and the same A9X pro on the 12.9 with 4GB RAM
The 9.7 is more laggy and it can freeze, the 12.9 is laggy too but it does not freeze thanks to RAM
People tend to underestimate how much power and RAM the youtube apps needs on a browser.
It's the same in the top of the line Android Tab s7, the youtube app is lag free, while on a browsers it's a bit laggy.
The Tab S7 is similar in power to the A10X...

chrishadaflavor

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2021
I want to echo that it is not your iPad or Safari — though iOS Safari should do better to be web standards compliant — it is YouTube and how incredibly maliciously it is written. My iPad Air 2 (with the A8X and 2 GB of RAM) is still surprisingly capable for a 6-7 year old device. However, YouTube is the only website it really struggles with; the cut off full screen videos, the lag when opening, the stuttering playback when switching from default to ‘theater’ layouts — and it does not have to be this way. Vimeo manages to show videos at similar quality with none of these issues (that I have seen, anyway). I absolutely believe YouTube degrades the quality of playback in the web browser on iOS, similar to how they intentionally break iPhone Safari PiP support on YouTube a few days after every iOS update, in order to funnel people to their app and nigh-unblockable ads. I think in their quest to embed ads so thoroughly into the video stream, YouTube has bloated their JavaScript-laden video player to the point where they will sacrifice usability. YouTube and their parent company use their monopoly power to harm the web and degrade the performance of older devices in what should be extraordinarily trivial scenarios.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi!

I have iPadOS 14 for quite some time and I noticed, that this version struggle so much during YouTube watching, it is almost unsuable. I contacted with Apple and they checked device, cause I thought it was damaged… Hardware is ok. Software - it was restored few times, even installed as brand new, without iCloud backup. So:

- response time after i click enlarge the video in Safari is terrible, it tooks sometimes 2-3 seconds to react and during that time video freezing

- very, very often after enlarging video, it is bad scaled. Black bard on top and bottom are not the same size, few buttons are cut out

Apple service said no one else contacted with such problem. I bought this iPad after event in 2018 and in 2020 I installed iPadOS 14. I remember how long iPad Air 2 last without problems. 6th gen iPad took only 2 years to be unusable :( anyone of you have similar problem?

I know it has A10 chip, but in my mom’s iPhone 7 Plus Safari works superb. I wish I could go back to iOS 12 or 13 officialy :(

Report it to Apple. It seems like it isn't getting sized properly when going to fullscreen so some of the elements are offscreen. I checked on the Air 2, 5th gen and 6th gen with A8X, A9, A10 + 2GB RAM respectively. It was the same deal on all of them but rotating does fix the rendering so this can be fixed via software. On the 7th gen (A10/3GB), switching to fullscreen was fine but there were some minor stutters.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I want to echo that it is not your iPad or Safari — though iOS Safari should do better to be web standards compliant — it is YouTube and how incredibly maliciously it is written. My iPad Air 2 (with the A8X and 2 GB of RAM) is still surprisingly capable for a 6-7 year old device. However, YouTube is the only website it really struggles with; the cut off full screen videos, the lag when opening, the stuttering playback when switching from default to ‘theater’ layouts — and it does not have to be this way. Vimeo manages to show videos at similar quality with none of these issues (that I have seen, anyway). I absolutely believe YouTube degrades the quality of playback in the web browser on iOS, similar to how they intentionally break iPhone Safari PiP support on YouTube a few days after every iOS update, in order to funnel people to their app and nigh-unblockable ads. I think in their quest to embed ads so thoroughly into the video stream, YouTube has bloated their JavaScript-laden video player to the point where they will sacrifice usability. YouTube and their parent company use their monopoly power to harm the web and degrade the performance of older devices in what should be extraordinarily trivial scenarios.
Exactly... it's Google... fortunately on Android we have Vanced (which does not need jailbreaking like on iPad) to avoid using the browser....
On iPad the only way is having an iPad so powerful (A12 and above) that this is no longer an issue....
By the way, and this is very recent, youtube no longer works with IOS 10 or below (so iPad 4 or below) so the only solution is the browser

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.