Problem with Snow Leopard and AirPort Graphite base station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sseale, Dec 7, 2009.

1. sseale macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the original Airport Graphite base station, and Snow Leopard 10.6.2. No matter what I try, I CANNOT set up my airport base station at all now with my laptop (which is an iBook G4).

Is this totally incompatible??? Is there any way to set up a wireless network using the graphite base station? this is very, very frustrating. Am I going to have to buy a new base station with Snow Leopard just to have wireless? If so, that's really ridiculous. What, is Apple now being like Microsoft, where you have to buy all new crap every time you upgrade??

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

3. sseale thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much - unfortunately, we have already tried that. It doesn't appear to work. Even though that utility states that "This update provides compatibility for Mac OS X v10.5 or later" - it apparently does NOT do so for Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Because we installed that, and when we open it, it says “You can’t use this version of AirPort Admin Utility for Graphite and Snow with this version of Mac OS X.”

?? SO we are stuck back at the beginning.....

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Wow, I'm surprised, too. I get the same message with my 4.2.3 version, on Snow Leopard.

But, you mentioned you had an iBook G4, and so are running 10.5 or earlier. Or did I miss something...? In other words, you can't be running 10.6.2 on the iBook G4.

Have you tried running the utility (v4.2) from the G4? It doesn't matter which machine you run the utility from - once the base station's setup, the 10.6.2 machine should connect normally.

5. sseale thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I don't know why I put iBook. My bad. It's a macbook, and it IS running snow leopard 10.6.2. and as far as I can tell, that WON'T work with the airport utility for the base station graphite. it won't even recognize it. the only workaround I can see is to uninstall snow leopard, use the older OS X to install the base station, then reinstall snow leopard. what a pain. that is very windows-like. yuk.

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

If you have an external drive, create a small (10-20GB) partition and install the older version of OS X there (even if you have only a single partition, you can add a new one on-the-fly with Disk Utility). Then, boot off that to run the Airport Utility. Just make sure the external drive is partitioned with the GUID table, and the volume formatted Mac OS X Extended (journaled).

Edit: Doh - you could even do this with your internal drive, if you have room (you don't need to worry about the partition table - it'll already be the proper GUID). One thought on both options is to make sure the version of Leopard is the same or later as the one included (if it was) with your MacBook. Otherwise, use the gray software restore disc that came with the machine.