Problem with Wi-Fi calling on my Series 4

lildexmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I’m having trouble setting up wi-if calling on my new (S4 w/Cellular) Apple Watch.

I can toggle Wi-Fi Calling “ON” in the watch app on my iPhone but when I turn off my iPhone Xs Max this feature does not work when I try to make a call from the S4 watch.

I know that the watch is connected to my home network because I can receive / reply to iMessages with out a problem while my iPhone is off - so what could be keeping me from making Wi-Fi calls on my new watch? And I have already tried resetting my networks settings but that didn’t help - what gives?

Last edited:

lildexmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Yes I have set up wi-fi calling with the 911 info and my cellular service is with att.
I haven’t decided yet if I will sign up for the $10 monthly cellular plan.

I saw that Apple Support article and it did not seem to apply to this newer version of the watch ~ I’m confused because I can do iMessage but not calls untethered to my iPhone Xs Max.

I just want to know if anyone with this new S4 watch can tell me if they were able to make wi-fi calls while there iPhone was turned off or untethered to their iPhone.

gjamesm42

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2017
Yes I have set up wi-fi calling with the 911 info and my cellular service is with att.
I haven’t decided yet if I will sign up for the $10 monthly cellular plan.

I saw that Apple Support article and it did not seem to apply to this newer version of the watch ~ I’m confused because I can do iMessage but not calls untethered to my iPhone Xs Max.

I just want to know if anyone with this new S4 watch can tell me if they were able to make wi-fi calls while there iPhone was turned off or untethered to their iPhone.
I left my phone home the other day and was able to make a call at walmart while connected to their WIFI.

lildexmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I left my phone home the other day and was able to make a call at walmart while connected to their WIFI.
Were you using a series 4 Apple watch?

I want to know if any one is able to do this on a series 4 Apple watch and if so please share with me how it was done.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I’m having trouble setting up wi-if calling on my new (S4 w/Cellular) Apple Watch.

I can toggle Wi-Fi Calling “ON” in the watch app on my iPhone but when I turn off my iPhone Xs Max this feature does not work when I try to make a call from the S4 watch.

I know that the watch is connected to my home network because I can receive / reply to iMessages with out a problem while my iPhone is off - so what could be keeping me from making Wi-Fi calls on my new watch? And I have already tried resetting my networks settings but that didn’t help - what gives?
Where in the watch app is there the option to toggle WiFi calling on or off?

lildexmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Where in the watch app is there the option to toggle WiFi calling on or off?
You go click on the "phone" icon under settings in the Watch Appp and you will see the option. It will work for me while my iPhone Xs Max is turned on and tethered to my S4 but not if I turn my iPhone off.

I already know it can be done with older model Apple watches and iPhone - that's not what I'm asking about.

I just want to know if any one has successfully done this with the new S4 and iPhone Xs Max - that and how exactly they were able to do it.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
You go click on the "phone" icon under settings in the Watch Appp and you will see the option. It will work for me while my iPhone Xs Max is turned on and tethered to my S4 but not if I turn my iPhone off.

I already know it can be done with older model Apple watches and iPhone - that's not what I'm asking about.

I just want to know if any one has successfully done this with the new S4 and iPhone Xs Max - that and how exactly they were able to do it.
there is no "settings" section in the watch app. maybe its exclusive to the XS

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Were you using a series 4 Apple watch?

I want to know if any one is able to do this on a series 4 Apple watch and if so please share with me how it was done.
I just ran a test: turned off my iPhone, disabled cellular on my Series 4, made sure I was connected to my local
wifi router, and was able to make numerous calls on wifi only.

lildexmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
I just ran a test: turned off my iPhone, disabled cellular on my Series 4, made sure I was connected to my local
wifi router, and was able to make numerous calls on wifi only.
I have AT&T Wi-Fi Calling toggled "ON" and Calls on Other Devices toggled "ON" I can see my two iPads listed with both toggles in the "ON" position but my Apple Watch does not show up in that list.

I can make a call from the S4 but not if my iPhone Xs Max is turned completely off.

Please tell me what your settings are on your iPhone (is it the iPhone Xs Max?)
When you go into Settings/Cellular/Calls on Other Devices - do you see your Apple Watch in that list?

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I have AT&T Wi-Fi Calling toggled "ON" and Calls on Other Devices toggled "ON" I can see my two iPads listed with both toggles in the "ON" position but my Apple Watch does not show up in that list.
Apple has been a little confusing with the Wi-Fi calling feature on the Apple LTE watch. If you have activated the LTE on your watch then the watch uses carrier Wi-Fi calling just like an iPhone. The watch will only show up on the Wi-Fi calling on Other Devices if LTE has not been activated (eSIM provisioned).

Note: there are 2 types of Wi-Fi calling, the Apple version requires your iPhone to be on to use the "Other" device and your carrier that allows your watch to directly connect to their network over Wi-Fi if your LTE watch is properly configured and your eSIM has provisioned.

Dave

rojocrandall

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009

I can make a call from the S4 but not if my iPhone Xs Max is turned completely off.

Please tell me what your settings are on your iPhone (is it the iPhone Xs Max?)
When you go into Settings/Cellular/Calls on Other Devices - do you see your Apple Watch in that list?
I have an iPhone 7+ ( I do not think that matters), and I too have AT&T.
Under Settings -> Phone (same as Settings -> Cellular)
> Wifi Calling is On
> Under this, Add Wi-Fi calling for Other Devices is Off.
> Calls on Other Devices is Off (it actually says 'On', but when I tap on it the toggle is off and no devices are listed)

On my watch, under Phone, I have "Mirror my iPhone" selected.

Do you know for sure your watch is connected to your wifi network?
With your phone off, on your watch swipe up to bring up the control center.
You should see the wifi icon blue, and the name of the wifi network listed to the right...

Reactions: lildexmom

lildexmom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2016
Thanks to all of you who helped me to understand how Wi-Fi calling is supposed work.

I think the trouble was that the original network setting in my iPhone Xs Max were not allowing my watch to stay connected to the Wi-Fi after the iPhone was turned off or became untethered. (all my other setting were fine)

After re-setting the Network settings I have been able to make Wi-Fi calls from my S4 watch untethered as long as I am connected to a known Wi-Fi :)

Bobby6310

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2016

[doublepost=1540904297][/doublepost]I'm having the same problem. I have triple checked all. I use to be able to leave my phone at home and use my watch on wifi at work or log into wife's phone via personal hotspot if needed. It is a nice option to have even tho I may not need it much.

Magnificent

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2018
Thanks to all of you who helped me to understand how Wi-Fi calling is supposed work.

I think the trouble was that the original network setting in my iPhone Xs Max were not allowing my watch to stay connected to the Wi-Fi after the iPhone was turned off or became untethered. (all my other setting were fine)

After re-setting the Network settings I have been able to make Wi-Fi calls from my S4 watch untethered as long as I am connected to a known Wi-Fi :)
Hi,
I have been experienced the same issues as you. There is the only difference is no option for switching on/off for wifi calling Appleple watch.
I have the toggle to enable WiFi Calling on my iPhone and there is enable my MacBook Pro listed.
Does anybody have an idea on how to enable this toggle on my watch first?