Problems with buying MBA in USA when I live in Norway?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scandinavian, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Scandinavian macrumors newbie

I´m off to NYC next week and plan to buy a MBA. Are there any precautions I should have in mind when buying it in the States when I live in Norway?
    Scandinavians have some letters on the keyboard (Æ, Ø, Å) that doesn't exist in the US, but I understood it's possible to change the settings on the MBA to Norwegian? Off course it wouldn't be visible on the keyboard, but when I type, it will substitute the US signs that are already in place? Have I understood that correct???
    Any experience or advice on this?
    Also, will the warranty be valid in Norway if I buy a 3 year AppleCare Protection Plan?
    Grateful for any comments!

2. izibo macrumors 6502

As long as you have money, you shouldn't have a problem! AppleCare is valid internationally for portables.

3. reflex macrumors 6502a

Note that while you can change the keyboard layout in OSX to Norwegian, you'll still have the same labels on the keys themselves. Not a big issue, but something that can become annoying after a while. (EDIT: I see that you already thought of that)

You'll probably also have to buy another power plug adapter, but that's relatively cheap (I think).

4. gregk205 macrumors member

You will have no problems with changing the language. And I always bring laptops to my friends in Eastern Europe when I go there on Business. There are places that will put those symbols on the keyboard for you. Or you can just buy the labels and do it yourself. You could do it without that but it is difficult. It is better to have it labeled.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You get used to the different keyboards really quickly, I have an American keyboard but type most of the time in Norwegian.

You don't need to get another adapter, just go to Clas Ohlsson and get one of those cords they use for electric shavers - costs kr 49. You just take the prongs off the adapter, and put the cord on. No problem.

6. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

Check out this thread, which addressed a similar question.

And here's another one dealing with customs.

My understanding is that the initial one-year warranty is valid anywhere. I'm not sure about the extended Applecare warranty, and have seen different posts say different things. You might want to do a search on this site for applecare and europe (or international) and see what you come up with.

And, yes, you are correct that you can adapt the keyboard for use with the Norwegian alphabet - or you may want to buy an extra keyboard when you get home.

7. godmachine12 macrumors member

Applecare is international; no worries. You can easily switch the input language and since you should be used to typing on a Norwegian layout keyboard it probably won't be an issue. I'm sure you have it memorized by now. You can switch back and forth if you need/choose to do so quite easily with a key combination. And it would definitely be to your advantage to buy here in the US with the strength of the Norwegian kronor to our dollar. You'll come out ahead for sure. Good luck!

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can, but you could also leave the keyboard switched to US and use option-a = å, option-o = ø, option-A = Å, option-O = Ø, option-' = æ, option-" = Æ. Whatever you prefer. I think that is the better option, because otherwise you are always in trouble when you try to type a ";", ":", "<" or ">" (they are in different places on a US keyboard).

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

In my experience, it's better to set the keyboard to react as a Norwegian keyboard. That way, you only have to learn the one (but you have to really learn it!). Å, ø and æ are regular letters in Norwegian, used all the time. Just think if you had to use the option key to type a, e, and o EVERY SINGLE TIME. :p It would drive you crazy, and really slow you down.