Problems with new 2010 Mac Pros?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by David B. Lewis, Sep 18, 2010.

1. David B. Lewis macrumors newbie

Could I ask something that I'm not really understanding. Reading some of the messages here there are alot of people who look like they're having some serious problems with their very expensive new computers, reading the apple discussion forums some of the same issues are reported. At the same time there look to be some people who have got the new mac pros who are having no problems with them at all.

If it's a problem with all hardware or drivers, then why does it happen for some people and not others? Does that mean it's the company in China who makes the machines and their quality control or what? There are also some people who act totally blase about buying what to me seems like very expensive hardware without any reviews, sight unseen, two people whose messages I've read who stuck in my mind are schisms and wootini, both of you seem to be having no problems, woot is posting beautiful screen shots of games which must surely stress the graphics card and both of you pre-ordered the new 27" monitors without reading a single review of them since nobody else has them yet so there is nothing to read.

If Apple made such shoddy hardware all the time, then how in the world are they always ranked at the top of customer satisfaction surveys?

I'm on the fence between getting a Mac Pro or a iMac 27" and keep hearing horror stories about both, but I can't help but think this is a minority of people, if everybody has these problems and hates the computers so much, why do so many people keep buying them?

I've so far owned lots of ipods, a mac mini and 2 iphones with no trouble with any of them.

Do I need to be really concerned about buying a Mac Pro or are the problems isolated to only a few people. If I counted all the people here and on the Apple forums there are maybe 10 or 15 experiencing problems, not thousands or tens of thousands and the two consistent problems look like they are a popping sound with the 3.33GHz machines and video problems with the Radeon cards when not using Apple monitors?

Thanks for reading.
    -dave

2. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I have a apple monitor and get the black out issue (twice so far) and the static issue once. There is a work around for it, but I think that is stupid we need a work around for a machine we just paid $3000 or more for. And 15 people on a forum getting the problem is a huge number.

Not everyone posts on a forum.

But it is happening to people with all kinds of monitors, even apple, and also people who have one, duel or three monitors. So its probably something in the card that is causing the issues.

The best advice is wait a few months before buying your new mac until all the issues are ironed out. Hopefully its something a driver or firmware update can fix.

3. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

It's simple: don't believe the hype.

I've got a brand new Hex running a 30" Dell and a 24" Samsung off my 5870 (via Dual-link DVI and MDP) without a single problem.

No sound pops, either.

We've also got a new 8-core 2010 at work that's running two Samsung 24" monitors with no problem. No sound pops there, either.

Both computers run beautifully. I *love* my new Hex. It's the fastest, quietest Mac I've ever used.

One person has made it his mission to spam these forums and the Apple forums with comments about Apple quality being a joke, etc, and questionable information (believed it at first, but I don't now).

Here's my logic: if you're having such terrible problems, why would you be spending every minute spamming about it instead of hounding Apple. :rolleyes:

4. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

That sucks and I hope it gets worked out. I guess my Hex and the 8-core at work are just not from the bad batch, thankfully.

I agree, there is always risk buying a rev-A machine and anyone who is shocked beyond belief about problems in a rev-A is pretty naive.

5. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Thats actually a good point, I wonder if everyone that has been having this problem got their pro from the same factory. I don't have the popping problem, just the graphic card going dark problem, but I played some WOW today and it has not happened again since last night.

Maybe apple will just send me a new card and that will fix the issue. Apple should really make it right though and extend anyone who is having this trouble refund date out past 14 days.

I know some people have gone through two or three cards and still get the problem, so its probably some driver issue. I just wish apple would comment on this because a few websites have reported this issue, and I am sure they are getting a ton of calls on it.

It would probably put a lot of people at ease if they would simple issue a statement they are looking into this, so we would at least know its on their radar.

6. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I totally 100% agree Apple should take care of this! And I'm not saying I don't believe people are having the problem, but those that are spamming every thread with talk about how Apple products are terrible, etc, have nothing to do with helping anyone fix this problem. The more I see that SPAM, the less I believe that particular person is actually having a problem, but is more likely taking the opportunity to get some Apple hate on.

7. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Yeah because the person spamming I haven never seen post before he started posting about that. I was freaking out the first two days it happened but I have cooled down a bit and will be extra friendly with the apple rep tomorrow.

I work for an internet company as an account manager/tech support, and I know its much easier to help the people who are nice than rude and loud.

As the saying goes you catch more flies with honey than vinagar.

Apple has great customer service props for a reason. I am sure they will take care of this.

8. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

To me if there is people who are not getting the issues then clearly it is impossible to gauge the severity of how many people are affected. The people screaming and shouting about it won't get anywhere. Contacting Apple is the best way to deal with the issue, they will receive valuable information about the issue, and if needed will replace your card, offer you a refund, etc. There is no reason to be irrational and assume Apple is a bunch of idiots and don't care about their customers.

If this turns out to be a widespread issue, it would be stupid of Apple to put their head in the sand and be ignorant to it. If it isn't widespread, then they will address people with the issue on an individual basis. Either way all the speculating and screaming on message boards doesn't really do much. I appreciate the people who have the opportunity to test out multiple Mac Pro setups and really try to get to the heart of the problem, but sadly only Apple is the one that can fix it from what it looks like. Either way the hotheads aren't helping at all and need to stop.

9. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

It's normal that people who have problems (me for example) will try to find somewhere to get help / find out what the cause is / if there really is a problem before exchanging a product, so it's only natural that a lot of posts in this forum will be about problems, since the people who don't have problems have no reason to post about their purchase (except for reviewing it and bragging about it maybe :rolleyes:)

Anyway.. although I have problems with a buzzing power supply at the back and a screeching-when-on-load video card (and will get the Mac Pro replaced), other than those two issues, I have had no other problems with the Mac Pro (no other video card/screen problems or popping sounds either) and it really is an impressive computer. I just hope that the replacement won't introduce me to those issues, although I am confident that there will always be a way of fixing/replacing things, especially if you have Apple Care... and although Apple screws up with quality control a little more often than I'd like, Apple's service really is the best I have ever had with any computer company.

10. cutterman macrumors regular

There is always a risk of buying version 1.0 of a new piece of hardware. Inevitably problems come to light once the units are in widespread use that were not identified during prerelease testing. I had this experience recently with a new Areca raid card (series 1880) that despite it's specifications is not compatible with the pci power bus on Mac pros. I also had a brand new memory stick fail. These things happen with any device/manufacturer.

Apple seems to be quite responsive to such issues and the upgrade to the 2010 models is minor as far as hardware changes go. I think your chances of having problems is quite low, and as other posters have pointed out the problems are overrepresented on forums. However if you want to play it safe wait a few months before you buy so the platform can mature.

11. mr bojangles macrumors newbie

Obviously your talking about me, here's the deal, i couldn't care less if you'd believe me or not, if you'd think i'm spamming or not...etc

Fact is i have spent thousands of $ for a machine that works so yeah after getting replacements with the exact problem excuse me for being mad and frustrated about it. I have been waiting to buy this computer since Februari when first announced the MacPRo was going to be released somewhere that month, having to wait till July was frustrating enough, now on top comes the fact that i still can't enjoy this computer because they keep sending me dodgy ones.

I don't need to go out and spread Apple hate, if i did, i wouldn't be on an Apple forum (i guess).

Just because you're system is ok doesn't mean that everybody else whom doesn't have the luck of getting a working system is spamming or taking opportunity to get some Apple hate on. Get of the high horse buddy!!

If it was you who was having these problems I'm sure you wouldn't be posting topics telling how awesome your system is wright

then again, believe whatever you want and have loads of fun doing it!

12. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Not Mac Pro - but Ive seen the black out and static issue on two seprate 9400 series minis with multi monitor setups (10.6.4) so maybe those are sw niggles....

13. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Who's talking about you? From some other thread?

The OP does sound a bit troll-like to me.

One of Apple's dirty little secrets is that when first shipped their products have a surprising number of problems, way out of proportion with the overal quality and reputation of the company's products.

I knew that before I ordered my 2010 Mac Pro. So far I've had the dark display at startup twice and the first kernal panic in a year and one-half of owning four Macs. But then again I knew of the possibilities of trouble. In due time Apple will have worked out the issues and will have new software/firmware/hardware available to solve the problem. But I knew that too.

14. w00tini macrumors 6502a

three full days heavy use (see my benchmarking thread). I have only hooked up my one samsung monitor though. I have had no problems as of yet.

I have a 27" ACD on order and will certainly be sure to do a lot of testing running dual monitors at that time.

Specs:
    Hex core
    6Gb
    HD5780

15. mr bojangles macrumors newbie

reel2reel was refering to me when saying "mr bojangles has made it his mission to spam these forums... " he later changed my name saying "One person has made....." Davelanger quoted it...anyway ree2reel is a bit on a high horse thinking that when someone is complaining about getting a dodgy system he must be an Apple hater looking to shock the precious Apple community and is probably making all this stuff up. Just because his royalty received a machine that has no problems...go figure

16. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

I changed it because I didn't want to make it personal, but you seem determined to do that on your own.

I've seen your copy/pasted rants everywhere bashing Apple products, etc, which does nothing for the people having this problem. Rant on if it makes you feel better, dude, but you're not helping with all this noise.

17. mr bojangles macrumors newbie

If you didn't want to make it personal than you shouldn't have posted my name in the first place, and yeah i really want to get personal on the internet with a bunch of guys witch lives evolve around Apple...

another thing is I'm not bashing Apple product in general, i'm bashing the MacPro since that's the computer i have bought and that's the computer not working as it should. I have no interest in Apples other products simply because i don't own them.

you should really lay off the Apple paranoia man, its not that I'm complaining because its an "Apple" product...it because its ******** up merchandise" and happens to be an Apple product. if i'd was to pay over 4000$ for a TV set that don't work it would be equally disappointing and frustrating... but somewhere down the line you just don't seem to get that do ya?

18. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I had the same buzzing with my machine, do you happen to have a flurocent lamp plugged into the same outlet our circut? I did and that seemed to be causing the issue, I unplugged the lamp and the buzzing went away.

19. davelanger macrumors 6502a

If you have had the same problem with two machines, maybe its the OS/software/driver issue and not hardware, it seems its wide spread to other Pros and even some mini's as well.

Do you get the issue if you don't update to 10.6.4?

I would try but I don't feel like reinstalling everything again.
    Maybe the issue is 10.4.6?

20. milo macrumors 604

Problems are always going to seem worse when you read the posts online.

When hundreds of thousands of an item are sold, even if only 1% have problems, that's thousands of people. Some products do have a worse failure rate, but in general every piece of technology is going to have some defective units, the question is how common is it.

21. Garamond macrumors regular

This is a fact. I wish more people think about that before filling internet forums with negative posts full of bad feelings.

22. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

for the last two years I purchased and upgraded mac mini's as a hobby / business. approx 100 minis in all. Purchased them new sealed in box and once in a while as a refurbished. 3 bad mini's. 2 were doa and 1 the logic board failed in 20 days. all other minis worked . As for hdds that I put in as upgrades. Seagate had the first 500gb 7200 rpm hdd for laptops. I grabbed a good deal for 14 sealed with warranty. The failure rate was 8 for 14 in under a year! So the failure rate for gear is as low as 3 percent for mini's and as high as 57 percent for a hdd. this was a pretty big sample of gear.
    I also had 1 OCZ ssd fail it failed in the mini with the bad logic board so don't know if the mini or the ssd did the job.

1 patriot inferno ssd fail doa 1 out of 2. the replacement is fine I still own it.

and 1 corsair x64 fail doa 1 out of 3 the replacement is fine I still own it.

on the other hand 20 intels and none failed.

9 of x-18m 8 of x-25m 3 of x-25e. So mini's from 2006 to 2009 are very reliable as are intel ssd's. I know 4 people with 27 inch 2009 iMacs including myself I have the only one that does not get yellow screen, but my 3 friends have quad cores and I have a 3.06 DUAL CORE I RUN COOLER!

Websites will get people that have problems. I am a big DIY guy I always go to websites to trouble shoot just to get an idea if the gear I purchased is a piece of Sh#t. Apple is better then a lot of other companies with replacement. Please remember when dealing with a clerk be nice. It really helps.

When I used to talk to seagate about my bad hdds I wanted to say fu fu fu fu fu fu and your mother! Instead I said it is a shame you guys went out and built the first 500gb 7200 rpm hdd and now you must get a lot of angry callers about this hdd. I like your company and have never had any trouble until this hdd. I purchased lots of them I hope this is the last one I have to bother you about. How is the weather by you it is cold here in jersey or hot or dry? Not only did I get a grand total of 8 different rmas sent back with replacement drives. They sent me a gift card for 50 bucks on the 6 th or 7th return.

23. gameface macrumors 6502

No the problem isn't with the people complaining. The people complaining have every right to bitch and every right to find a solution to their problem. The problem is when someone sees 3 people or so (I know it is more in this case) complain then they assume that all the units have the problem or that Apple makes shoddy products.

This is the problem here. Everything gets blown way out of proportion. I would bet that the vast majority of the people who bought these machines are pleased (I am). I have only commended great service from a company employee to their superior once in my life. I have ripped apart bad behavior on a regular basis. It is just human nature. Most people don't come on a forum and go "OMFG, my new MP has NO problems!" But the people WITH problems always do. So logically this isn't as widespread as it seems and people getting up in arms is just stupid. They bought a new machine and Apple will make it right. They always have and I hope, always will.

24. strausd macrumors 68030

Got a 24" ACD and Dell U2311H and no display problems so far. However, with windows 7 I did get a sound pop from the ACD speakers....

25. flyingphish macrumors newbie

i always gain a little faith in humanity when i see people act SMART and with Respect. itll get you far in life. kudos phil and a lesson to all

and for all of those with issues i feel for you, buying a mac is like buying a porsche, you expect it to be flawless. but stuff happens. i bought a 911 and its motor went bad in 800 miles. i didnt make a stink. instead i did what phil did and they gave me a new car instead of replacing the motor. i could of gone to the porsche forums and bashed away but i dont like to air my dirty laundry in public.

anyway, my 6-core, 24gb ram, 3x2tb raid 0, 2x120 ssd dual boot machine is running like a top. once when i first got the machine i saw the colored static but not since. no pops. no buzz. i do run a apc ups as well as an apc surge protector in line. clean power is essential.