Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulgl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
do you call adobe and have them send you the mac version? do you send your pc copy to them to be destroyed?

thanks in advance

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia
I am pretty sure that you either have to purchase an entire new copy or upgrade copy. I think that is a lot to ask for a company to supply you with a different version because you switched computer platforms; however, I do not know for sure and I bet someone with specific knowledge will answer.

Nevermind, I was wrong...check out this forum discussion a few months ago about this topic, specifically the third response:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/395710/

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I've seen people here claim to get them to let them switch. When I called about CS2 awhile back they told me that it was considered a different product and there was not even an upgrade discount.

Leafminer

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Michigan
If you are going from PC CS3 to Mac CS3 then the fee is supposed to be small, plus you have to sign the "letter of destruction."

If you are going from PC CS2 to Mac CS3, then as the linked thread referred to, there is an upgrade price of $199, plus the letter. I was in the process of doing this myself and they quoted the same price.

However, since I am going from PC CS2 to Mac CS3, I asked if I can 'use both' for a short period of time to make sure all of my actions and plugins were working before destroying my PC version. Big no-no! The Adobe rep suggested I download the 30-day trial CS3 for Mac, make sure everything is working ok in transferring actions, etc - and then call for the formal switch.

But beware, there are all kinds of issues with PS CS3 and Leopard. See the Adobe support forum - most are saying don't make the switch until these are fixed.

iSail

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I have done this and it was pretty painless. One hint I picked up somewhere when researching the issue: When you call, call Sales, not Support. Sales seems to know how to do this, some people report that Support doesn't. The lady I talked to knew exactly what I wanted and was very efficient.

You fill out a letter agreeing to destroy the Windows version and deinstall it, fax or email it back, and they ship you the Mac version in a retail box.

Cost, as others have remarked, depends on whether you are upgrading to CS3 or already have CS3 for windows. If you already have CS3, cost is nominal (S&H, essentially...I think it was < $20).

I believe the last issue with CS3 under Leopard was fixed with the recent release of Acrobat's upgrade (8.1.2 IIRC). I've not had any problems with it.

The letter is worded so that, as commented above, they expect you to uninstall the s/w before getting the new.

casw1000

macrumors member
May 6, 2005
I spoke to Adobe about this exact issue a while just before xmas. I have Macromedia Studio MX and PS7.x I said I wanted to switch platforms and upgrade to the web premium for Mac OSX.

They explained it can be done, however as others state, you have to first prove your existing serial number is registered, second you have to prove your original media, and license keys, and then sign a destruction document.

Here's the REALLY neat bit. There is no upgrade path from Windows to OSX, so Adobe will send you a FULL RETAIL boxed copy for the price of the upgrade. However, you cannot do this over the web or from other stores etc. You have to do the upgrade through Adobe.

TBH, this is the ultimate way to switch platforms and upgrade (so to speak). This is my plan, hope this is both helpful and confirms what Adobe UK can do for you.

-casw1000
fold4life.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.