Processor Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), May 22, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Will Apple upgrade the 2.4 Uni MB to a top end 2.53 Ghz C2D, like the MBPs have?
    I was wondering if they would do this, but I would like to know if there would be a noticeable speed difference with the extra .13GHz. Also, theoretically, I was wondering if it would be feasible to put a (Whitebook) 2.0Ghz nVidia logic board into the case of my blackbook. Are the screw locations different?

2. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Plausible, but the user will not notice such a miniscule upgrade.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Most likely, but it will still be the Pxxxx series. The next CPU (after the current P8600) is the P8700 CPU clocked at 2.53 GHz 1066 MHz FSB with 3 MB L2 cache @ 25 W. However, Apple may choose to use the newer P8800 or P9700 if one of those chips is available at the time of the refresh and if the price of either chip doesn't increase the overall price of the MacBook.

Theoretically, it is still the same polycarbonate enclosure and every screw (and anything else) should be the same; however, since its an nVidia logic board, I wouldn't bet on it 100%.

4. Quad 2.5 G5 =) thread starter macrumors 6502

I would agree that Apple may upgrade the Processor of the MB, but I did some research, and the top MB processor is the lowest end 15" MBP processor, and that trend has been continued with nearly every generation, so Apple would have to get rid of the 2.4 on the 15" MBP and make the base model the 2.53.

Also, the WhiteBook nVidia logic board sells for $600 on ifixit, so I might just buy it and swap the logic boards. Do you know if the nVidia 2.0 produces more heat?

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Heat, nah, my Al MacBook runs quite cool, and I haven't heard of people complaining of the nVidia whitebooks because of heat. So heat may not be an issue at all.

On the CPU updates, sometimes they follow that thread (well commonly), other times, each can go their own ways, like the update in October, everything stayed same CPU clock, except slower entry level MB and higher clocked FSB.

6. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

My WhiteBook has never gotten excessively hot. I've never owned an Intel GMA WhiteBook, so I can't give a direct comparison, but definitely no heat complaints here.