ProClip for iPhone 3G Installation

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MBHockey, Aug 15, 2008.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I had read some reviews on car mounts, and this one got the best (from iLounge.com).

I decided to spend the extra money (it's definitely on the pricey side for car mounts) but I am very happy with the product. It is easy to install, very sturdy, and the iPhone 3G fits in it like a glove. Here are some pics of the ProClip mount in my 2001 Jetta. I got the padded tilt and swivel device holder along with the angled Jetta mount (as opposed to center mount, which would go over a vent).

Best of all, now my iPhone won't go flying into the passenger side door of my car when I make too sharp a left turn (I used to just leave it on the passenger seat).

Here are some pics of the final product.

2. jwflutterby macrumors regular

Looks good! heh, all you need now is a retractable audio cable ;)

3. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, exactly :)

This is the one I used when I would just place the iPhone on my passenger seat.

4. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

Hey Nice setup you got there MBHockey. I'm looking to do the same thing in my mazda 3. One question for you though, do you think I'd be able to fit my iphone into the holder with a case on. I have a Contour Hardskin on it, I was hoping the proclip would be a little bit adjustable.

5. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

How does it actually attached to the car console? Double sided tape?

Also, does the mount swivel to view things in landscape view?

6. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I've been a ProClip user for years (with other devices) and am waiting for my 3G holster so was glad to see your pics.

I'm also considering getting a Power Support Air Jacket (http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/iphone3G_airjack.php), which is .7mm thick.

How snugly does the iPhone fit in the holster? Do you think it's likely to accomodate an extra .7mm on the sides and back?

7. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's a very tight fit, I do not think the padded tilt and swivel holder for the 3G can accommodate anything other than just the naked phone (those thin films would probably be fine though).

There's a lip on the left-most piece of the mount that you wedge in the gap between the center console and the interior of the body of the car -- ProClip supplies you with a wedge tool to help you temporarily open the gap enough to fit the piece in, and once it is in, you just turn it so it hooks around. In addition to the hook, there's also sticky adhesive on the two vehicle mounts that help to ensure it doesn't move. It is very sturdy.

Yes, the mount swivels enough to put the phone in landscape mode. I think it actually swivels a full 360 degrees around. The holster is tight enough the phone will not slip out when upside down (another reason why i doubt any case would fit). The tilt has very good range too.

It's a closer call for the AirJacket. It may or may not fit...i can't really tell from the picture. The holster is snug enough so the phone doesn't even slip out when the holster has been swiveled to the upside down position. Here's a picture to illustrate how snugly it fits.

8. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Take a look at this other thread...instead of using a different cable I purchased the Kensington LiquidAUX.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I have the ProClip mount and the Bodyguardz skin on my 3G and that makes it VERY tight in the mount. In fact the mount is "scuffing" the Bodyguardz. The tolerances on the mount are VERY close. Almost too close even for the Bodyguardz film.

10. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

They have an adjustable mount w/swivel that will work fine with your case. In fact, I happen to have one that was used for exactly 1 weekend if you are interested. It cost me $50+ w/shipping. If you are interested in a good deal drop me a PM. Original package and everything. I had a Griffin iPhone hard-case which I returned so now the mount is too big (fit fine with the Griffin).

This is the one I want to sell: http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionp...egoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=0&p_leftorright=

Edit: Looking at the air-jacket it may be just a bit too thin for the adjustable mount but it will definately not fit in the iPhone 3G specific version of the mount.

11. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Installed my new ProClip mount in my truck. Bought the adjustable iPhone holder and very glad I did. Being able to turn four different screws to get the tension just right around my cased iPhone 3G is very nice.

As usual, ProClip is totally worth every penny.

12. yellowmuffins macrumors newbie

mangoman, which proclip exactly did you get. Does the adjustable 2G iphone clip work with the 3G with a case?

13. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

Pics?

14. macwall macrumors 6502

yeah more pics plz

15. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

Sorry guys...traveling for a while starting last night so I won't be able to post pics for you. But my understanding is that there's only one ADJUSTABLE holder which fits the iPhone, both 1st and 2nd generation.

I'm using that adjustable holder for an iPhone 3G that's protected by a Switcheasy.com Capsule Rebel case.

The second part you'll need is the dash or console mount that's specific to your vehicle.

Best advice I can give is to hit the website, and call in your order if you have doubts. Not only do they make a good product—the customer service is very good, too.

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There is only 1 ADJUSTABLE ProClip and it fits both 2g and 3g with case (which is why it is ADJUSTABLE). :) It is just slightly too large at it's tightest setting to fit an iPhone without a case. It also fits just about any other PDA phone.

17. pfm macrumors newbie

Missing Pics

Hey MBHockey, I searched and found this old thread you started, and was excited to see someone with the same set-up (jetta + iphone 3g) I have, but the Pics link no longer works. I'd love a chance to see some photos of your install, and get any new feedback about your proclip setup since you first posted this. Thanks a ton!

18. presb2k macrumors newbie

As with pfm, Im interested in seeing the pictures but they are no longer hosted. Im trying to decide whether to do the proclip center mount the lower angled mount on my girlfriends 2004 Jetta. I already have the swivel holder and an icelink cable, but I need to decide pretty quick for this mount. Heres some pics for the center mount from another thread on the board http://gallery.me.com/pfm#100041&bgcolor=dkgrey&view=mosaic&sel=0

19. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

that's really a personal choice, I don't think you should ask others, it really is up to you to decide what position will suit YOU better

20. presb2k macrumors newbie

Not asking for anyones opinion, just pictures to base my decision off of. The picture on proclip's website only shows it from a straight on view.

21. bpfesq macrumors regular

I'll post a picture of my setup this weekend. I purchased the proclip setup with the adjustable holder and power cable on the bottom. It is hardwired right into my stereo by BestBuy (for 50 bucks or so). Charges while docked (allows for GPS use) and music goes through my stereo (using a converter device purchased on ebay). Love it.

22. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

I guess they don't have an adjustable holder that also rotates horizontally but doesn't have the pass through?

23. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hey all...sorry for the delay, and sorry about the missing pictures. I will take some new ones since I have installed a new stereo (pioneer with USB input on the front) since the original installation. Just a single cord (USB to dock connector in black) now charges and passes music to my stereo. Works great with my GPS app (navigon) and sounds terrific!

But my car is in the shop right now getting some work done. Should have them up this week.

24. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Here are some updated pics: http://tinypic.com/4dukvzbm

I'm still extremely happy with this mount and I would definitely buy it again. Just for reference, there's enough room to change out the stereo with the mount where it is. I didn't have to take it off and put it back on to install the Pioneer deck.