(PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 Plus Gets First Unboxing and Hands-on Video

oyabroch!

Suspended
Jan 8, 2018
Macrumors - "news and rumors you care about".

I definitely really care about the unboxing of a red iPhone on the front page. It's really as exciting as discovering all the different colors of M&Ms. I leave the blue M&Ms for last because they make your tongue blue. It must be a very slow day.
It must also be a VERY slow day for you too, if you've made a conscious decision to be here reading a story you don't care much for, AND commenting about that fact. :p

No malice, just pulling your leg; I hope that comes across well :)

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
This is gorgeous. The black front wonderfully understates the device until ... that lit screen finally pops.

neoelectronaut

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2003
Southeastern Louisiana
Looks great. Would love to see a metallic red SE.

Edit: I think I might buy a thin red case for my SE and donate to charity anyway, cheaper case for me, more money for a good cause!
I bought Apple's leather case when I first bought my SE and while it looked really nice it offered no protection whatsoever. Ended up dropping my phone on the fourth day of ownership and got a nice nick taken out of a corner; thankfully it didn't do any serious damage. Back to the store it went.

HarryWild

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2012
Apple should of offer the red in the X and just made it a imited edition after the X gets discontinued! More buyer would buy it till April 2019!
[doublepost=1523463492][/doublepost]
No thanks. Definitely wait til fall for a better deal. Even an old iPhone X is better than this. Apple would have to discount iPhone 8 at least 50 percent at this late stage.
In September it drop $100 across all 8 models!

OlliFlamme

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
Some other sites already shared the model specific RED wallpapers, three days ago. Yupp, those that are shown on the device in the marketing. Here comes some sharing is caring for you folks in this thread.

For the iPhone X:

9F87D0A6-CB54-45CB-B68D-43EBD32C67CB.png
For the ‘other iPhone models:

5E39852B-90D6-4FC2-8D0E-921F6F9552BC.png

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Just a little paint and people fall hook line and sinker for this old phone .
Yeah, paint, sure. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1523470748][/doublepost]
Never understood the unboxing video thing. Reviews are something else. I like Marques, but this was not necessary.

For anyone who buys one, enjoy it.
But what would the review say that's new and different? :) The delay is a weird marketing approach. I'd love to know how many they sell this year and have sold in earlier years.

Reactions: kazmac

ajfahey

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
To say that I don’t get why expanded color selection is important in any meaningful way is extreme understatement. Mr. Jobs would be rightfully embarrassed if this is what passes now for innovation at Apple. Must be a really slow Apple news day.

Reactions: tridley68

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yeah, paint, sure. :rolleyes:
[doublepost=1523470748][/doublepost]

But what would the review say that's new and different? :) The delay is a weird marketing approach. I'd love to know how many they sell this year and have sold in earlier years.
Perhaps for people who didn't buy an 8/8+ at launch he could mention something briefly about the specs, and then direct them to his more formal 8/8+ review? I know that's a nitpick, just to be something more than, "Oh hey look new color. Bye."

I have not been aware that Marques does unboxing videos now (first impressions, sure) but even he was a bit bored by the unboxing. :p In the end none of it is important, I suppose I was surprised that he'd do an unboxing video (I do not keep up with his channel anymore).

Reactions: newellj

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Not sure if anyone has said this already but I would have been tempted to buy it if the screws, lightning port and perhaps even the Apple logo were black ( the Apple logo from the jet black would have looked great, instead of silver). Not sure about the speaker/mic grills yet. The advert suggests they are red but given all the red laser effects who knows. It’s the little things. I preferred last years white front/silver finish.
Personally I’ll stick with my jet black 7 and the newest (PRODUCT) RED leather case for now...

Attachments

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
NO ONE should be surprised if the RED iPhone 8 got a bump from 2 GB to 3 GB of DRAM !

Apple's Upper Mgmt has been (slowly) learning the importance of main memory !

Just look at the comments today about a lack of AR apps, as one example !

Devs can't do much with ONLY 2 GB of DRAM !

NOT surprised that Kuo is clueless about it's importance ! ... NO mention of it in his latest Update.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
It's a very nice looking phone and it supports a very worthy cause.

I hope everyone that wants one of these is able to get one and enjoy it.

its93rc

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Austin, Texas
Although it looks nice, there is not really much to ‘Unbox’, as it’s just a red iPhone 8 (But for a good cause as well).
There is because the colour differs from last year. I'll definitely buy one now that I saw the color in its actuality. (I get where you're coming from though, but it's just pure nerd fun for us, haha.)

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
Looks great no doubt. Definitely like the black face with the red. And the glass back in red looks much nicer than the previous red aluminum iPhone 7. I’m going to wait until this fall and replace my black 7 Plus with a black X replacement. I’m honestly struggling to think of what they will add to the X tech-wise to make it any different than the current X.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Perhaps for people who didn't buy an 8/8+ at launch he could mention something briefly about the specs, and then direct them to his more formal 8/8+ review? I know that's a nitpick, just to be something more than, "Oh hey look new color. Bye."

I have not been aware that Marques does unboxing videos now (first impressions, sure) but even he was a bit bored by the unboxing. :p In the end none of it is important, I suppose I was surprised that he'd do an unboxing video (I do not keep up with his channel anymore).
Chuckle and an upvote. I like the color. I like the black bezels. But really, it's a bit underwhelming, and I'm not going to go out and buy a Ferrari-red iPhone 8 just because it's red. :)
[doublepost=1523491782][/doublepost]
NO ONE should be surprised if the RED iPhone 8 got a bump from 2 GB to 3 GB of DRAM !

Apple's Upper Mgmt has been (slowly) learning the importance of main memory !

Just look at the comments today about a lack of AR apps, as one example !

Devs can't do much with ONLY 2 GB of DRAM !

NOT surprised that Kuo is clueless about it's importance ! ... NO mention of it in his latest Update.
What are you talking about? It would be fall-over-in-a-dead-faint surprising. The only thing surprising is that anyone would think that a mid-year color iteration like this would get a 50% RAM increase - at the same price as other colors of the same phone model.

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Chuckle and an upvote. I like the color. I like the black bezels. But really, it's a bit underwhelming, and I'm not going to go out and buy a Ferrari-red iPhone 8 just because it's red. :)
It's a nice color and looks sweet with the black bezels, but I am content with my equally lovely (and priced) Jet Black 7+. No unboxing and dropping on the floor necessary. :p

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
It's a nice color and looks sweet with the black bezels, but I am content with my equally lovely (and priced) Jet Black 7+. No unboxing and dropping on the floor necessary. :p
Still love my JB 7, and love how the black looks with a well-worn saddle tan leather case.

Reactions: kazmac

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
As per my earlier post in this thread, I donated directly and (separately) got my nice cheap red case for my SE: