(PRODUCT)RED iPhone 8 Plus Gets First Unboxing and Hands-on Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2018.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

True, but I looked anyway. :p When you’re sitting down with your morning coffee and desperately trying to wake up, a topic like this is way better than some of the ones that end up in massive political and philosophical arguments.

Red iPhone. Yay. Red. Zzzzzzzz
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2018 ---
    Ah, I’m an old design. Perfect match for me.:D

2. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Let's see how many posts we see that says...its just a red iPhone do we need another unboxing? Lol

3. otternonsense macrumors 65816

otternonsense

Quite an improvement from last year. I was hoping for a red-ish Apple logo and a red TouchID rim to complete the look, but we just can’t expect such attention to detail from Cook’s Apple.

4. brgjoe macrumors regular

brgjoe

Yeah, to me, that was about the only thing missing was a red rim around the Home button.

Other than that, I did like it. And I kinda liked the unboxing video. Even though it's just a red iPhone 8. :)

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

What the hell is a "smart-looking...bezel?"

6. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

Just a little paint and people fall hook line and sinker for this old phone .

7. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

I wouldn't go back to the 8/8 plus from my X, but I really do like the red/black look more than I thought I would

8. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Looks really, really nice. The glass makes the color pop.

Apple needs to introduce more colors for the non-X lines. Give them "fun" colors like the iPods- green, blue, pink, and orange. Orange and blue in particular would look great with the black bezels.

9. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Never understood the unboxing video thing. Reviews are something else. I like Marques, but this was not necessary.

For anyone who buys one, enjoy it.

10. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Now that's what I call innovation. A red colored phone.

/s

11. citysnaps macrumors 601

Nothing to do with courage. Think about it.

12. Drogba11 macrumors member

This is groundbreaking! Leading the way in innovation with a red phone. Never thought I would see it in my lifetime.

Move over Elon!

13. bluespark macrumors 68000

I really like this. Nice job Apple!

That said, I tend to be a first-day purchaser, so I never have the option to consider ProductRED iPhones. I therefore add my voice to those who wish for all color options to be available at product launch.

14. gnasher729, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2018

gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Especially if they don't drop the phone on the concrete floor :)

15. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I think its great they do this for a cause, but why the fixation with this one cause for so many years. Apple is in a position where they could really do more of these. What about a special edition pink phone for breast cancer; or light blue for prostate cancer; or orange for children's diabetes... they could raise a lot of money for these causes (giving back), and at the same time creating more color choices.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It's not innovation, it is collecting money for helping people with AIDS. There are a whole lot of "Product RED" products doing the exact same thing.

17. hybrid_x macrumors regular

hybrid_x

I'm so glad they went with red and black this time. This is a great look. White really only looks good with silver, for that classic iPod look. Everything else looks better with the black face around the screen, in my opinion.

18. citysnaps macrumors 601

Thank Steve Jobs.

19. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

Wouldn’t get hopes up very high for another color. Wouldn’t it be nicer if the front was also red?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2018 ---
    Silly comment

20. oyabroch!, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018

oyabroch! Suspended

"Unboxing"? "Hands on"? Erm, it's an iPhone 8, it's red. That's it.

I tell you what, I wish these YouTubers would quit making "a big thing" of peeling the protective film off products VERRRRRRRY SLOWWWWWWLY, camera and mic tuned in perfectly to see & hear some plastic film being removed; it's SO SO contrived and superficial, just compounding the moronic, shallow, pointless nature of consumerism. I came to see the phone, not some obsessive person fawning over the act of removing its cellophane; that's just daft.

CRINGE!

21. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I think the red iPhone X will launch this autumn alongside the other colorways. If sales are indeed slowing more than they anticipated, they might hope that a new model in a new color might be enough to push some additional people to upgrade. Then again, it might be that stupid blush gold color.

22. jonnyb098 macrumors 68030

jonnyb098

The video has over 600k overnight views so clearly people care. You don't and thats fine. Also in the video he talks about how the video deosn't do justice to how red the phone is in person. Thats actually useful info.

Weather you like the facts or not, new colors of phones are a huge part of sales and fueling new sales.

23. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Has Apple ever done a colored ring for the home button?

24. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I like the unboxing video. Its kind of like unboxing a space grey one, except its red.

Does look nice though!

25. ipponrg macrumors 65816

Macrumors - "news and rumors you care about".

I definitely really care about the unboxing of a red iPhone on the front page. It's really as exciting as discovering all the different colors of M&Ms. I leave the blue M&Ms for last because they make your tongue blue. It must be a very slow day.