Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes has been one of the biggest sources of rumors regarding a potential "iPad mini" carrying a 7.85-inch screen that the publication says Apple is targeting for release later this year. Digitimes now points to a new report [Google translation] from Taiwanese newspaper United Evening News making similar claims and outlining a number of companies making up Apple's supply chain for the device.

According to the report, Apple will be utilizing Pegatron as its assembler for the device, forgoing its main partner Foxconn for this project. Apple and Pegatron do, however, have a long-standing relationship with the assembler already contributing to iPhone production and rumored at several points to be involved in iPad 3 production as well.

ipad_mini_mockup_iphone.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPhone
On the display side, the report claims that LG Display will be responsible for 70-75% of the workload for the smaller iPad, with AU Optronics handling the remainder. Samsung, which is a key part of Apple's supply chain but with which Apple is currently engaged in a massive patent dispute, has reportedly been shut out of display production for the new device. The report also claims that Radiant Opto-Electronics and Forhouse will be contributing backlight components for the 7.85-inch iPad.

The newspaper had previously named LG and AU Optronics as display suppliers for the device, claiming in October that Apple was planning to launch the smaller iPad early this year. The Wall Street Journal weighed in last month with its own claims that Apple was working with those companies on the project, but noted that there is no guarantee Apple will ever release the device.

Article Link: Production of 7.85-Inch iPad Reportedly Moving Closer as More Suppliers Named

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It's great for the people who want a smaller tablet, but I think they have nailed it with the current 9.7" display. It's not too big, but not too small either. The same goes for Samsung and Asus by the way, who also have excellent screen diagonals around the 10"-mark.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
What is peoples obsession with having bigger phones and smaller tablets? I don't get it.

BobbyRond

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
I hope this doesn't happen. Not only for the unnecessary product diversification that got to Apple when John Sculley was in charge.

Also I hope this doesn't happen for all those developers out there having to resize their apps once again.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I don't know why people poopoo the idea of a cheaper, smaller iPad. One of the main reasons why people are buying the Kindle Fire is for their kids. They have smaller fingers AND at $200, they can justify buying a tablet for the child. I know someone very happy with the purchase because of Amazon Prime and the free movies and tv shows that you can stream with the annual subscription to the program.

I think children need to be addicted to these things too. They are Apple's future revenue! :D

Last edited:

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
I wonder...

...how the current iPad 2 resolution works out in terms of PPI for a smaller tablet of this size? If high enough, devs would not have to add yet another set of graphics.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Unlikely.

Full size magazines are just about readable on iPad.

Anything smaller and you either have to see everything at 1/2 size or scroll ALOT.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I'm sure Digitimes is wrong, but...

Its possible Apple thinks the iPad mini could do for iPad, what the iPod mini did for iPod. The iPod mini hit the right price point, and with limited storage and screen size, blew the iPod market into the stratosphere.

A $199 iPad mini, could do that too. It wouldn't be for the traditional iPad buyer, but neither was the iPod mini for the iPod buyer.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The 10" iPad is great for home use, but I think a 8" iPad is better for on the go.

Agreed. I have quite a few pockets in which I can stuff my 7" Kindle, and I can alwasy hand it to my wife to stuff in her purse. It's a huge advantage. I much prefer to read as a time killer rather than play Angry Birds.

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
When I first saw an iPad in real life I was actually surprised how small the thing really was. The even smaller form factors seem entirely pointless to me.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
for those of you questioning why Apple ought to do this is:

1- One size does not fit all, many smaller tablets are more affordable and work well.

2- kids can play and do well with smaller sizes, in my house, it would be great to have a smaller device my kids can share to learn with and more.

3- cost. these devices cost alot, more than some competing full sized laptops. why not do it smaller and bring prices down. people need more cost effective options.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This rumor always seems odd for a variety of reasons.

I can understand smaller hands wanting a smaller device, but the regular is good for most everyone.

When you get a smaller iPad you get less battery, probably less hardware, and most likely less function. Why? A travel-sized iPad? Whu?

If the rumors of iPad4 in October are coming true, perhaps the iPad4 has such expanded capability that it will bridge the market to home computer function and make room for a smaller iPad that works like these last iPads/iPod Touches. Thus a release of such a device later in the year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.