Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094539-ipad_oblique.jpg

A pair of reports today are rekindling anticipation for the next-generation iPad, with one note from DigiTimes suggesting that Apple has already locked in an initial set of circuit board suppliers for the forthcoming device, with more suppliers set to come online in February to support what is expected to be a very significant build rate.
Ibiden, Tripod Technology and TTM Technologies have been named as the initial PCB suppliers for a second-generation Apple tablet PC, which is expected to be launched in the first quarter of 2011. Four more suppliers will be added to the list in February 2011, when shipments of the new iPads ramp up, according to industry sources.

The sources said Ibiden, Tripod and TTM have received certification from Apple, and will start shipping any-layer HDI boards for iPad 2 in small quantities in December, the sources said.
Separately, Apple has been rumored by Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair to have adopted a "world mode" GSM/CDMA chip from Qualcomm to provide cellular data access for the next-generation iPad.
"Recent checks... suggest Apple is going to be ratcheting down production of the existing 3G iPad over the next two months in anticipation of ramping up a new World iPad that is powered by Qualcomm and will run on both GSM and CDMA based networks around the world," Blair writes.
Such a move would allow CDMA carriers such as Verizon to offer an iPad directly compatible with their networks, avoiding the need for the packaging of Wi-Fi-only iPads with MiFi mobile hotspot devices currently offered by the carrier.

The report goes on to note that the next-generation iPad will include at least a front-facing camera, which appears to be a given considering the company's recent focus on FaceTime video chatting, although some reports have claimed that Apple will also include a rear-facing camera. Finally, Blair claims that the next-generation iPad will be thinner than the current model and will require a new manufacturing process to create the thinner unibody design.

Article Link: Production of Next-Generation iPad Set to Ramp in February? 'World Mode' Cellular Data Access?

Caharin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Sweet, can't wait for the new iPad. My only dilemma is that I was going to buy the current model between now and Christmas ... now I'll have to decide if it's worth it to buy one only to resell it when the new one comes out (I really want a FaceTime-compatible iPad).

No further rumor(s) on a Retina display, eh? :confused:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Sweet, can't wait for the new iPad. My only dilemma is that I was going to buy the current model between now and Christmas ... now I'll have to decide if it's worth it to buy one only to resell it when the new one comes out (I really want a FaceTime-compatible iPad).

I would say wait if you can. The way Apple is advancing it's tech lately with much better upgrades from the previous gens the current iPad probably won't be worth much when you try to resell it. Heck, Marshalls and TJ Maxx are already selling the current version for $100 less than Apple's MSRP.

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
As someone who has not yet purchased an iPad but who plans to purchase the second revision, I hope this upgrade is so massive that it makes iPad v1 owners snap their tablets over their knees in grief.

Don't hold back, Apple! Give me a faster processor, more storage, more RAM, FaceTime, a better display, better battery life, and make all iPads the 3G models, but at the WiFi price points!

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Why always this focus on thinner?

Why always this focus on thinner? I can understand lighter, but a couple of mm's arent going to change the form factor and ease of use of the current model much. So why go trough all the trouble (and extra cost on the ipad) to, create something thinner?

I think there is a fetish among certain apple excecutives.

freelancing

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Why always this focus on thinner? I can understand lighter, but a couple of mm's arent going to change the form factor and ease of use of the current model much. So why go trough all the trouble (and extra cost on the ipad) to, create something thinner?

I think there is a fetish among certain apple excecutives.

I agree. If you can make it thinner, then keep it the same size and add more battery in the same thickness for longer life... and for goodness sakes - put in a Retina display.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
"The report goes on to note that the next-generation iPad will include at least a front-facing camera, which appears to be a given considering the company's recent focus on FaceTime video chatting."

The front facing camera is a no brainer. It is something that Apple should have included in the first place.

jonwilson1988

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
My only real request with V2 (as I am holding off getting a V1) is that it comes with a retina display. I love reading texts and the internet off my iPone 4, and I read The Times on my dads iPad V1 but reading is just not the same. I might sell my kindle at that point too...

I think it is guaranteed that it'll come with 512mb ram, faster processor and facetime.

Jazurm

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
The question is

How long does it take to go from production ramp up to consumers hands?

Suspended
Jan 6, 2009
Ah..the iPad retina display discussion.. I'll be mighty impressed if it were to have a retina display and keeping the same price, because it shouldn't be possible.

dexx0008

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
My only real request with V2 (as I am holding off getting a V1) is that it comes with a retina display. I love reading texts and the internet off my iPone 4, and I read The Times on my dads iPad V1 but reading is just not the same. I might sell my kindle at that point too...

I really question the feasibility of putting in a retina display due to size of screen and cost. Adding cameras will increase cost, but I assume a retina display that big would be costly. Is anyone currently manufacturing them with decent yields at that size yet?

edit: not that i wouldn't mind seeing a screen like that in an ipad even if I'm not in the market for an ipad currently.

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
To be honest I expected the iPad refresh after 18 months as it has virtually no competitors and only recently the production sustained the sales also internationally.

However, as forthcoming tablet from other company are beginning to ship, Apple has to keep up with them.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Sounds cool. The 'world mode' sounds pretty compelling to me. It would be nice to have our pick of 3G carriers anywhere in the world. Does this mean if I take a month long trip to Europe, for instance, I can register for data access with a European provider? It would be nice to have 3G access during international travel without paying ATTs ridiculous international pricing plans.

Other than that, I can't see any features of the 2nd gen iPad being interesting enough to upgrade from my gen 1. It's a wonderful little machine and I think it will be plenty fast for the next year. I have no interest in video chat, and I don't think we'll see any screen-res bumps. Aside from the camera, I see this update being similar to the iPhone 3Gs - mostly speed and storage improvements.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Not ready for retina

My only real request with V2 (as I am holding off getting a V1) is that it comes with a retina display. I love reading texts and the internet off my iPone 4, and I read The Times on my dads iPad V1 but reading is just not the same.

The iPad already had about 172 thousand more pixels than the iPhone 4. I highly doubt the hardware is ready to support the millions of pixels required for a retina display on an iPad. Sure would be nice tho! :rolleyes:

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008

Unlikely given the current prices and specs for screens.

I think it is guaranteed that it'll come with 512mb ram, faster processor and facetime.

512MB is a given, and it probably should have been so equipped from the get go. There's not a lot of room for processor upgrades, so I'd guess at 1.2Ghz at best.

There's plenty of room to pack in more battery, but they'll need to cut some weight before they can do that.

Evmanw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
I cant wait for the next iPad. If there is a camera, and retina display, the camera will have to be very good quality for a big screen like that. (would the front facing iPhone camera's resolution be good enough?)

I will get the next iPad regardless of what upgrades they give it (unless it is heavier which I don't think will happen)

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
S

There will be no increase in resolution this time around. Nothing to be confused about. The iPad is still getting established, they aren't going to introduce another resolution to fragment more.

Look at the iPhone, Apple was behind for years before they moved on resolution. On iPad they are still out in front.

Also retina is a meaningless term outside of the iPhone/Touch. You aren't going to see that kind of DPI on a iPad in the next 5 years, let alone next year.

ghostface147

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2008
What CDMA carriers exist besides Verizon?

Sprint, Cricket, Jitterbug, MetroPCS, and a bunch of other regional providers. Granted the other names listed after Sprint just use either Verizon or Sprint's network to get around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.