• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that the production of the next generation iPad's high resolution Retina Display continues to be a problem, resulting in Chimei Innolux failing certification to become an LCD supplier for Apple's next tablet.
CMI has cut into the supply chain of iPad 2, which uses IPS panels, but the new Apple tablet is more demanding in terms of resolution, the sources said. The iPad 3 will feature a 9.7-inch panel with resolution of 2,048x1,536 compared to the iPad 2's 1,024x768.
Chimei Innolux is presently believed to be a display supplier for the currently shipping iPad 2.

ipad_2_oblique.jpg

The iPad 3, however, is believed to carry a 2048x1536 high resolution display that is double the linear resolution of the current iPad 2 screen of 1024x768. We first wrote of the possibility earlier this year when it was discovered that a version of Apple's iBooks application for the iPad already contained the necessarily double resolution (x2) artwork. Apple similarly doubled the iPhone's resolution from 480x320 to 960x640 when they introduced the iPhone 4.

Chimei Innolux is not alone in having yield difficulties with the new display. Samsung and LG are also said to have run into challenges. A previous report even claimed that it was these poor display yields which pushed the iPad 3's launch to 2012.

As big a jump as a 9.7" Retina Display sounds like, there has already been at least one official announcement of this level of high resolution tablet display. Samsung demoed a 2560x1600 10.1" LCD back in May, though based on somewhat different technology.

The original iPad's display was said to be the most constrained part for Apple, resulting in delays in shipments. As a result, Apple is believed to have invested $3.7 billion in display manufacturers in order to lock up access to LCD production facilities. The production from the earliest of those factory investments (Toshiba) are said to ramping as early as late 2011, while Sharp's new factories were to begin producing displays in 2012. The timing could fit with the next generation iPad.

Article Link: Production of the iPad 3 Retina Display Remains a Challenge

froa

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
I like a Macbook Air with Hi-Resolution Display more than iPad.

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The only thing that prevented me from upgrading my Ipad to Ipad 2 was the resolution, its the one thing I find lacking currently. If they do infact double the resolution, it will almost be perfect for my needs. Currently disapointed how much better the Iphone 4 displays content compared to the Ipad.

Comment

MikeELL

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
Perth, Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait to see these screens. They're getting to the resolution where putting a prism type filter over the top could allow for glasses-free 3d displays. That will be the iPad 5 ;)

Comment

froa

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
Well I guess what else can they improve on a ipad besides bigger storage and battery life?

That's the way we improve PCs, not mobile devices
Many people treat tablet as another PC that they simply speed up the CPU and extend the memory, which has been pointed out by Steve Jobs to be a wrong way.
Apple will improve iOS devices by adding both services like iCould and new hardwares like NFC.

Comment

FrHa

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
I see a lot of reports saying: 'this is why Apple delayed the iPad3 until 2012.' I think they haven't delayed it whatsoever, I think their intention all along has been to release it in 2012. Especially considering how well the iPad2 is selling at the moment, and the fact the iPad2 is just opening in new countries.

Comment

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Waste of resources

The higher resolution display is a a waste. I already can't see the pixels on the existing display. It is a "Retina Display".

I would much rather see improved battery life, storage, having the iOS and MacOS and MacClassic all merge so I can run all of my software on my iPad/iPodTouch/iPhone/PowerBook/etc. That would be useful. The "Retina" display its just marketing glitz.

Comment

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
The higher resolution display is a a waste. I already can't see the pixels on the existing display. It is a "Retina Display".

I would much rather see improved battery life, storage, having the iOS and MacOS and MacClassic all merge so I can run all of my software on my iPad/iPodTouch/iPhone/PowerBook/etc. That would be useful. The "Retina" display its just marketing glitz.

I suggest you buy glasses then :) By no means is the display on the iPad of bad quality, but you can clearly see the individual pixels.

Comment

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Well I guess what else can they improve on a ipad besides bigger storage and battery life?

My BIGGEST complaint about the iPad 2 right now is the audio! I totally want a retina display in the iPad 3, but the iPad really needs surround sound audio! I know Apple is already working on it as they hired the guy that invented THX surround sound :cool:

I see a lot of reports saying: 'this is why Apple delayed the iPad3 until 2012.' I think they haven't delayed it whatsoever, I think their intention all along has been to release it in 2012. Especially considering how well the iPad2 is selling at the moment, and the fact the iPad2 is just opening in new countries.

YUP! All the stuff in the media about that is BS I think with various motives behind it all!

Comment

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
I've still got major doubts over whether we'll see a 2048x1536 iPad in early 2012. It would be very expensive for apple to use. On the other hand, what else can they upgrade? Sure, they can add an A6 and 1Gb of RAM. Maybe even a storage bump (starting at 32Gb). Increasing the video resolution of the camera's to 1080p and 720p might be an option. But even then, its still lacking as an upgrade. It'll be interesting to see whether apple make the leap to the higher res this refresh or next time round.

Comment

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
A bit in The article is wrong, the resolution of the iPad 3 won't be x2 but x4 higher than the present iPad.

We first wrote of the possibility earlier this year when it was discovered that a version of Apple's iBooks application for the iPad already contained the necessarily double resolution (x2) artwork.

Last edited:
Comment

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Hahaha, you just just smell the tension! Apple have a need, Samsung are the most likely to be able to supply... But will they?

(I was going to say you can smell the sexual tension, but I don't think that's appropriate ;P )

Comment

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN

Nonsense. Increasing the resolution is very much desired by myself and many others. I suppose you thought that the retina display on the iPhone 4 was a waste?

Comment

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hahaha, you just just smell the tension! Apple have a need, Samsung are the most likely to be able to supply... But will they?

(I was going to say you can smell the sexual tension, but I don't think that's appropriate ;P )

Ooohh, sexual tension between two corporations :confused::confused: Over an inanimate object! :rolleyes:

I don't think I want to know about your sex life :rolleyes: :p

:D:D:D

Comment

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait for all the "does your iPad3 leak light threads". I may feel differently in 6 to 9 months but I'm not anxiously awaiting the iPad3. The res on the iPad 2 is good enough for my needs.

Comment

teme

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait for all the "does your iPad3 leak light threads". I may feel differently in 6 to 9 months but I'm not anxiously awaiting the iPad3. The res on the iPad 2 is good enough for my needs.

Yeah, only time I notice the lower pixel density is when I'm viewing websites with small text. With lower pixel density that text looks blurry, and the higher pixel density would make that text readable. Otherwise I'm fine with the current resolution.

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Nonsense. Increasing the resolution is very much desired by myself and many others. I suppose you thought that the retina display on the iPhone 4 was a waste?

The question is, does the iPad really require 2048x1536 resolution ? That's 263 PPI. Do you really hold the iPad that close to your face that it requires such a high resolution ?

Remember, the farther away you hold a device from your eyes, the lower the PPI value can be without you being able to distinguish individual pixels.

The argument for "pixel doubling" (obviously, 4 pixels to represent 1) for developers is hog wash. Developers have been designing stuff to work on displays with no fixed resolutions for decades now. Why would it suddenly be a challenge on iOS ? Answer : it's not.

Comment

RichardI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2007
Southern Ontario, Canada
Some simple math will show that the current iPad takes up (1024x768) 786,432 pixels per screen and the new iPad will take up (2048x1536) 3,145,728 pixels per screen. That's a 4 fold increase. Where will the computing power come from to handle that increase? This is the one mistake that Apple continually makes - since day one. They are always underpowered or challenged graphically. Odd for a company that built its reputation on a graphical user interface..

Comment

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Some simple math will show that the current iPad takes up (1024x768) 786,432 pixels per screen and the new iPad will take up (2048x1536) 3,145,728 pixels per screen. That's a 4 fold increase. Where will the computing power come from to handle that increase? This is the one mistake that Apple continually makes - since day one. They are always underpowered or challenged graphically. Odd for a company that built its reputation on a graphical user interface..

The power ? You realise we were running 1024x768 back in oh... around 1996 if not earlier than that right ?

Are you saying tech close to 15 years later can't handle a paltry 4x increase in pixel density ? :eek:

Comment

ludalukeerb

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
UK
The question is, does the iPad really require 2048x1536 resolution ? That's 263 PPI. Do you really hold the iPad that close to your face that it requires such a high resolution ?

Remember, the farther away you hold a device from your eyes, the lower the PPI value can be without you being able to distinguish individual pixels.

The argument for "pixel doubling" (obviously, 4 pixels to represent 1) for developers is hog wash. Developers have been designing stuff to work on displays with no fixed resolutions for decades now. Why would it suddenly be a challenge on iOS ? Answer : it's not.

Knight you miss the point, I'm no Apple fanboy not by a long way, however, I've held off getting the iPad as I have an iPhone4 and that caters more or less to the needs I have of a mobile device, however if the next gen iPad does feature a 'Retina' display then I will definetely buy it.... whilst I agree the screen on the current iPad is good, very clear, close to the touch etc... it is hardly 'HD' @ a res of 1024x768.... yes by the definition of television standards it is higher than 480p, watching a 720p or 1080p film on the device your not watching it at the native res, and if you are you get the irritating bars, as I mention IF they upgrade the display to over 1920x1080 I will definetely get it, and I believe alot of others will as well, however if they do go to that res then almost definietely they would need the A6 chip to power the device and certainly more RAM, and at the same time increase the maximum capacity availible as even 64gb won't fit that many 720p (circa 4Gb per film) or 1080p (circa 10-12gb per film) on the device, along with space for swap files, audio, apps, mail etc...

It is certainly something I would love to see as then Air Video on an iPad streaming 720p content would be awesome! iPhone 4 screen whilst nice isn't really that impressive when streaming 720p content...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.