Professional leather case similar to the FieldFolio or Hex Code Folio...Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by qikbert, Mar 31, 2012.

1. qikbert macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a nice, professional, leather case to take the iPad with me to work. I was looking for something with an open bezel as well. The part that appreciably narrows down my choices is that I want to the case to protect (almost) the whole border of the iPad. (There are plenty of cases out there that protect, say, just the corners.)

I think the Hex Code Folio looks great!
    http://www.shophex.com/product/HX1080
    This is openly the nicest looking of them all, and the borders are amazingly clean. I'd even almost buy this thing if I didn't want to carry a folio embossed with the word "Hex" into every meeting. Trifling, I know. Otherwise, this one's a winner. Anyone know of one similar to it?

I also like the FieldFolio case, and how clean the borders are:
    http://www.fieldfolio.com/products/ipad-2-folio-case
    The only problem is that the outer part is made from linen. It also doesn't look as refined overall as the Hex Code.

I guess the frontrunner so far is this one by Jison:
    http://www.jisoncase.com/product/Re...r-iPad-2_for-ipad-2-case_case-for-ipad-2.html
    It's got the coverage I'm looking for, and it's delightfully thin. It's made of leather as well, but it's marbled and I think it might be a bit flashy. It also doesn't look as professional as the above folios.

Any thoughts?

2. RomeoG macrumors newbie

I ordered the Maroo Maunga yesterday. That is the black leather top of the line case from Maroo. Its priced at 100 dollars and a previous poster remarked the the leather is a higher quality than there 45 dollar cases. Check it out its nice..They also have the same case in brown..that one goes by a different name

3. qikbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. The Maroo looks nice, but it only protects the corners and not the edges.

4. RomeoG macrumors newbie

Agreed..I only use my at home so I am not concerned..just thought it looked like a nice executive type folio and I like the system that secures the ipad..good luck hunting

5. oliboli macrumors member

Of the cases you posted, the Hex Code Folio is stunning and one of the most attractive cases I've seen yet. Is there a typing angle, though?

The Fieldfolio is very uninteresting to me and that last one is just ugly. I would never associate that case with a professional, but then again I don't know what your specific profession is.

I have not seen many cases fulfilling that edge protection requirement you've brought up, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

6. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

7. Sterne macrumors member

I think the leather Portenzo cases are more appealing than the Hex - I like the wood frame better than the plastic frame.

8. qikbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, everyone.

I don't see any sort of typing position for the Hex case. Also, I just can't get over the fact that the side of the case has the word "hex" branded into it. Why in the world would they do this for a professional-grade product that people might use to give brief presentations or use to try to close deals with clients? It just doesn't make sense.

The FieldFolio clearly doesn't look as refined as the Hex case, but at least it's not as carelessly branded. Just wish they made this thing in leather.

Really, you don't think the jison case looks professional enough, even the black one?

9. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

10. qikbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, the casemate is a nice case, but it covers the the whole bezel. I was looking for an open-bezel case.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

11. Sterne macrumors member

I don't like the look at all, but that's just me...I don't really like the look of any of the cases with the four bands that allow the cover to roll up like a smartcover.

The fieldfolio is another take on the Dodo/Portenzo/Quill and pen "moleskine" concept and it looks ok, but from what I have read, it looks grubby pretty quickly. Having used leather cases for 2 years of iPad 1 ownership, I would not go to anything that was harder to clean.

I have a Maroo Kumara and a bonded leather Portenzo for my new iPad. Both are nice, but the Portenzo is more striking. I got compliments on my original iPad case (Portenzo Alano, not currently offered) at every business meeting I attended. The fit and finish is even better on the new one. The bonded leather is far nicer than I expected.

12. glen e macrumors 68030

13. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Oh. Ok. I missed that you wanted the open bezel look.

14. Sterne macrumors member

Glen, my experience has been totally different - in almost 2 years of daily use, my iPad never fell out of my Portenzo Alano and the frame did not warp. (the first Alano I got did, but Portenzo replaced it free).

The case was in my soft sided briefcase, in my computer bag, in luggage of all sorts and is still as straight and solid as the day I got it. Your experience, while real, is not universal.

Steven

15. oliboli macrumors member

Nooo. Maybe if you're a professional cow wrangler? I don't know, I've seen that textured leather look done more elegantly is all I'm saying. More Thing Letique comes to mind...?

I am trying to understand your issue with the Hex branding, but in all honesty I feel it's a bit silly. The logo itself is this tall, condensed type that's embossed at a reasonable size on the case. I just don't find it that noticeable. Being a graphic designer, I am pretty anal about logos on my products and I feel it's well considered, whereas the Fieldfolio just feels generic instead of minimal. Still, I'd have to say the lack of a typing position and, correct me if I'm wrong, omission of the wake/sleep feature on the Hex would be a deal breaker for me.

16. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I'd have to agree, wake/sleep is a definite along with at least landscape typing angle position.

17. glen e macrumors 68030

not universal, but more prevalent....do a simple search....

18. Sterne macrumors member

A "simple search" on this site - or any forum - is not a scientific study, and does not give evidence that would allow us to say what is more prevalent. Given the number of fans that Portenzo has on Facebook, and their sizable lead time for producing cases, I'd say they have more satisfied than unsatisfied customers, though that is not scientific either. We're each finding "evidence" that supports what we already think. People do that.

You had bad luck, I had good luck. Perhaps I feel about Dodo the way you do about Portenzo - my Dodocase was lousy and they did not take care of me, so I have no desire to try another Dodocase. But lots of people love their product.

I wonder about why your iPad got loose in the Portenzo cases - did you change which case you carried your iPad in very often? I think that may be why it loosened over time, if you were swapping the device in and out of cases. I just left mine in.

A case with a plastic frame like the Maroo or Hex cases would definitely be a better choice if a person is going to swap cases around.

But if you left your iPad in a Portenzo and it loosened anyhow, that was a bum piece of wood.

Steven

19. glen e macrumors 68030

apparently you did not read close enuf - I had eight reps all over the US in wood cases, they all loosened up. My experience is with eight diff people not just me writing about mine...but go ahead and buy one, I hope it works for you. And yes, they are exponentially worse if you move from a case to other cases often. I have explained design wise why I think it happens. Portenzo I think agrees as they have gone to a solid back now for more support. Wood has no place in a case for me or anyone that asks my opin or works for me...miss this pic?
    [​IMG]

20. Sterne macrumors member

No, Glen, I saw the pic, and that's why I thought maybe you had moved your iPad among cases. Now I understand 8 different people used them. OK. Not all of the ones in the pic look warped, but I take your word for it.

I'm done with the discussion. Like I said, you've had your experience and I've had mine.

Steven

21. qikbert thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your responses!

The Portenzo's wood sides actually seem to add a hipsteresque whimsy I don't think I'd bring into a board room.

Does what I'm looking for exist? Who makes a simple open-bezel leather case without covering only the corners of the iPad??

22. Sterne macrumors member

This one covers part of the bezel, but it's not too bad.

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple...ad-4g-lte-wifi-leather-case-folio-series.html

23. LostAggie macrumors 6502

24. GerritV macrumors 65816

Hello,
    On my search for an iPad case, this forum was of great help.
    I just registered to thank all of the posters here and on other threads.
    Now, I ordered the HEX Code Folio (which is why I posted on this thread) - because it came closest to my expectations.
    Soon as it arrives, I'll try my best and write a review in this forum. BTW, I live in Belgium - so give it some time...

25. transphasic macrumors member

The HEX case is nice but has a flaw it would seem, all of those items like the pencil, etc on the left flap will scratch the screen when closed, would they not?

I still think I'm using the optimum solution: a smart cover from apple and the ipad tucked inside a targus hughes case.

Nothing will provide as full a set of protection as an enclosed case/sleeve like the hughes (or an impax for more casual use) and the smart cover protects the screen as well and can be used as a stand during the client meetings. Has worked well for me so far.