Professor's requirements revisited

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shift Option K, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Shift Option K macrumors regular

Shift Option K

As I use Pages and they only want us to use Word which most of us have but not me, I spoke to the professors and that ban has been lifted to become "Use Microsoft Word or a word processing program of your choice that exports Word documents." however, Times New Roman is still a required font.

What makes universities and colleges (and apparently some high schools) require use of that font? Mac and Windows have it but what about those Linux users out there? They don't have that font, apparently, and using alternatives won't play nice with professors and teachers (read from another forum).

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What about standardization don't you seem to get? For whatever reason, Times New Roman has been the default on word processors for a while, and that's likely the reason behind it being required.

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

If you google linux times new roman you'll have an answer. Yes, the Linux people can have TNR.

Where are you going to college, anyway?

4. And macrumors 6502

And

This way there's no risk that someone might use comic sans.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What is the problem with using Times New Roman? It is clear, legible, and a relatively attractive industry default.

Seriously, if this is what your Professor requires, this is what has been decided is the standard everyone else has conformed to.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Standardization, otherwise people will be using all sorts of arcane and hard to read fonts. Keep everything the same and so the professors can then focus on the content

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My eyes, they burn!

9. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Another thread on this same topic?. Why do you feel the need to question something that's been the standard for likely decades? Do you also question why the sky is blue when you wake up in the morning? Your last thread received several good reasons on why Times New Roman is the standard in academic assignments.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems like a very plausible explanation to me.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

my professor says that after she has been grading paper after paper it is nice to have the same exact setup, instead of having to adjust from paper to paper.

12. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I would hate to have a paper marked down because pages (or another app) messed up the formatting during the export.

It sucks, but I would bite the bullet and just use word for Mac, at least for school stuff.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If a student doesn't have Office on their computer, it would take them 10 minutes to pop into a computer lab on campus, open up the exported doc in Word, and make sure the formatting is correct, and fix it if need be, before submitting it.

14. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

true, but i do wish ariel/tahoma/halvetica were allowed too. they are more pleasant to the eye - especially on long texts.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

When I was in undergrad, I could go to the computer store on campus and get the previous version of word for Mac for $10. I think at some point it went down to $5.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I prefer sans-serif fonts too - TBH, the font Scepticalscribe uses in his posts annoys the hell out of me so I don't even read them. But since TNR or another serif font has been the default in word processors for a long time (I think Word recently changed that) and nearly every book, newspaper and magazine uses serif fonts, I guess there's been some studies that show it's easier to read.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, personally, I cannot stand Ariel; I think it is too narrow, and physically, it strains my eyes to have to read it and I dislike it intensely.

My personal favourites are Garamond (which is exceptionally easy to read, especially in a hard copy, although it translates less well to a screen), Arno Pro, and Times New Roman.

Well, each to their own.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

When I was an undergrad, I'd hire a scribe to chisel the stone tablets for me. It was just a couple of drachmas per tablet.

19. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What sort of stone did you use in your tablets? I am interested purely as a matter of idle (but fascinating) information gathering, of course.

Hard work, but immensely satisfying, for the scribe………(an alternative career beckons, should I ever tire of my current occupation….)

20. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh, dude, and here I thought you had used clay!

Lugging notes to class must have required a beast of burden or two...:p

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of TNR, but if I were in class and the professor required it for my papers, I'd follow the instructions and use it. Otherwise, it bothers my eyes to try reading it.

The default fonts in MS Outlook, Calibri, are nice along with whatever font MacRumors uses and the default font used in Mail.app on OS X are all preferred fonts for me.

22. malman89 macrumors 68000

This - or more likely rates of $20-75 instead of $100+ for a license - vary by school and aren't standard college to college. My university offered no discount.

OP, get over it. A standard is a standard for a reason. Use it or face potential point deductions.

23. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, I understand that. Other universities I've been at have varied, but I felt I'd mention it to the OP in hopes they might at least check.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

24. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

From personal experience the eye gets adjusted to particular fonts better, especially when programming your eyes sort of mould to the indentation style, etc.

So when reading material it would pickup easier if everything was similar, rather than adjusting to it.

Plus it prevents unfair marking due to bias font choice / readability (if that makes sense).

25. davidinva macrumors 6502a

As a former college instructor, I remember the days in the 1990s when wide choice of fonts became available, and some of what the students turned in was of "ransom note" quality.