Program to burn data dvds?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AuburnTiger, Feb 26, 2008.

1. AuburnTiger macrumors member

Hello all. My new Macbook will arrive soon, and I'm just curious if there's a program on OS X that will allow me to burn data dvds for backing up files and such. I have an external dvd burner, but no specific software.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can burn data cd/dvds from the Finder (Create "Burn Folder"), or use Disk Utility to burn from a device, folder or file.

Most external burners should be supported natively. I'm using a generic Firewire case with a Samsung SH-S182M 18x LightScribe burner in it. I've used it from the Finder and from Disk Utility. LightScribe labeling through LaCie's LightScribe Labeler app.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

to add to this, when dragging data you want to burn into the burn folder it makes aliases (shortcuts). the aliases arent actually burnt, they are "pointing" to the original files which are to be burnt.

just as a precaution; aliases arent made when dragging photos from iPhoto to the burn folder, they are copied and this takes a little while more. to speed up the process make aliases by holding "option" and "command" when dragging the photos to the burn folder. FIX THIS APPLE!

also Disk Utility is great if you want to burn bootable ISOs. just drag the .iso to disk utility's sidebar and just click burn... thats it! also in Mac OS X .iso and .cdr files can be opened natively without any need for third party apps... unlike windows.

if you want to be absolutely sure your files can be read on a PC or you want to backup your DVD collection use Toast. its kind of like Nero for Macs.

4. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

toast

Toast is the best burning program on the Mac platform. I have been using it since around 1998 or 1999. It does almost everything in regards to burning on Macs. Well worth the money. Usually there is a discount on Amazon. I have had a cd burner since 1994 or 1995 when they used to cost more than todays cpus.

If you are doing simple backups then there are other cheaper or free apps, but toast does almost everything. If you burn alot of data, audio, video, then Toast is the best.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

+1 Toast

Just wanted to add: Even with the built-in burn support, I still have and use Toast.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. AuburnTiger thread starter macrumors member

Here is my problem that I also posted in the Macbook forum, asking can the internal combo drive read DVD+R DL discs:

So I have an external Lacie DVD burner, which supports DL at write speeds of 4X, if my memory serves. So I plug it into my new Macbook, put in a Memorex 2.4x DL disc, and use Finder to burn a folder. It seems to work fine, and the Leopard verifies it, everything fine there too.

So I take the newly burnt disc out and insert it into the internal Combo drive, and nothing. Just hums for about 20 seconds, then ejects it.

Any ideas? I thought perhaps it was the write speed, and I tried to set it at 1x, but couldn't go any lower than 2.4x when I selected the drop down menu. I tried to set it at 1x because I couldn't remember the write speed for DL discs; I bought this burner about two years ago. Why would it verify the disc if it didn't burn correctly?

I haven't yet checked to see if the external drive will read it; I didn't try the disc in the internal slot until today because I assumed it would work; I'm not at home right now so I can't check.