Prohibitory sign at startup, nothing working

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cristian .b, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Cristian .b macrumors member

:(I get a prohibitory sign at startup, nothing works. i cannot boot into safe mode or anything. I doesn't have any recovery cd's, cuz i bought it on ebay; i don't have applecare (logically). is the only thing i can do to take it to an apple store? it's 6yr old

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

6 year old Mac? Yup, only an Apple Store... and even then, it might be at risk for obsolete hardware (which means service might be expensively prohibitive or might take some time to repair.).

3. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

oh, maybe i can fix it myself, cuz i think it's the hdd failing. Know any good hdd's (or ssd's)?
    I was there for not too long ago too buy a new battery (it was dead and at 100 health)

4. WildCard^ macrumors regular

It is likely that the HD is dead. Accept it now so it won't hurt so much later.

Go here and buy a $20 Snow Leopard install disk.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Run it. It will likely say there is no HD to install to.

Have someone technical open it up and verify the HD is dead dead. If so, you can replace it with any number of drives. Best Buy would have them, or you can go online.

This SSD SATA is a good priced one under $100 from a reputable source.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...21107&ef_id=UkSCxwAABKJ1k3Z9:20131116163402:s

Your technical friend can easily install that and get your CD installing to that drive.

Voila!

5. Cristian .b thread starter macrumors member

This thread is old... i had fixed it, it was a corrupted partition, but now it is broken, you know