Project Gutenberg ebooks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DeBaryFL, Apr 4, 2012.

1. DeBaryFL macrumors member

I was pleasently surprised today to find that Project Gutenberg free ebooks are now offered in the epub format and can be downloaded directly to my new iPad's iBook library through Safari from their site without having to go through iTunes. This may be old news, but it's new to me. :)

2. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

Are any of the books actually....good?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yeah, that's been around for a while, but glad you discovered it. Enjoy!

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not a lot of vampire books and nothing with kids in death battles. Just old crap by dead people like Dickens and such.

6. Mun-Jai macrumors newbie

Or otherwise known as classic literature of our times.

7. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Old crap? Seriously???

8. GoodToGo macrumors newbie

Old crap? If you don't like these classic books, that is quite fine. Don't call them crap since they had tremendous influence on the writers even today not to mention huge impact on the political scene in the 1800 's and 1900's.

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

That's funny. :D

10. AceCoolie macrumors regular

lol. Obviously, some people missed the sarcasm.

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's the problem with kids these days; they're superficial readers.

12. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Yes, sadly so. All they seem to know and like is comic books and the latest violent special effects movies. No wonder we're having a hard time competing with the rest of the world.

13. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Some people clearly need to do some reading of their own and look up the word sarcasm. Geez...

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There are a few ten thousand good ones.

If you don't like a book, you can always try to complain to the author :D

Plenty of vampire books. Polidori's "The Vampire", Bram Stoker obviously, Le Fanu's "Carmilla" is quite interesting. And if you want lots of people dying, I recommend Shelley's "The Last Man".

15. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Sarcasm, maybe yes and who cares if that's what it was. Many were commenting on the state of affairs of education and reading, which this thread touched upon. geez.

16. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Nobody was commenting on it until you did, unless you count entirely missing the point of poloponies first very humorous post as commenting it.

And, "comic books and the latest violent special effects movies", really? Maybe my generation about 25-30 years ago. Who exactly is out of touch?

17. DeBaryFL thread starter macrumors member

I've been aware of Project Gutenberg for some time. In fact, I'm a volunteer proofreader for it. :) I just wasn't aware that ebooks could be downloaded directly to the iPhone/iPad from the site without going through iTunes.

Yes, there are some GREAT books there! For mystery/horror, Edgar Allan Poe's poems and stories, written over 160 years ago, are at least as good, if not better, than the works of modern authors such as Stephen King.

As a scientist (a Biochemist by training) I love reading the old science-oriented books and journals on the Project Gutenberg site. Reading articles in Scientific American or Popular Science Monthly from the late 1800s really gives an insight into just how far we've advanced in the last century! :)

18. Stouver macrumors member

Great find! There are a number of classic and newer books on there I have discovered and been meaning to read for a long while. What better time than with retina display? :D

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Ya gotta love kids...