Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Meaning?

We have SDK functionality without waiting until June.
Free Installer apps can be much more capable.

hobo

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2005
Jeez, I thought 1.1.4 was easy to jailbreak and unlock! 1.0.x was easy, but 1.1.1/2 were a bitch.

Now I'm picturing activation/jailbreaking/unlocking like this:

open the first tool to "pwn" your iPhone and click a button, wait.
open the second tool and select what you want done in checked boxes
click a button and wait, it'll use the correct modified .ipsw files.

Oh god, I can't wait.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Meaning...?

We can expect these tools to unlock our iPhones ready for use with software downloads used in iTunes?

Meaning, we can now unlock, jailbreak and activate our iPhone before we even install the software in it.

Hence, no more trying to find loopholes in the firmware and baseband to unlock and install thing in it.

Everyone's life is easier now.

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
It shall be so much better :)

hopefully it will be working with version 2.0 in time for june.

This is getting alot like the PSP M33 custom firmware where you can update the PSP through network update and it still be M33 :D

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Wow.... I thought it was just one of those things:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is...

But seemingly not!
Can't wait!! :cool:

Pedgie06

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2005
Here's the text;

Pwnage Project - March 7, 2008

Well, Apple has had their turn, impressive work on SDK! And now it's ours…

What is Pwnage?

Pwnage is based on an exploit found in the lower levels of the iPhone/iTouch bootloader. We can now “pwn” Apple by patching the device to allow unsigned code. This opens the door to unlimited possibilities.

Once your iPhone/iTouch has been “pwned”, you can do things like installing custom made .ipsw files - straight from iTunes!

For a more technical explanation please visit Pwnage page.

iPwner and IPSW Builder

"We are going to release two tools as part of Pwnage project.

* iPwner - tool to make your iPhone/iTouch “pwned”. You will have to use this tool just once1).

* IPSW Builder - by using this tool you will be able to modify the .ipsw filesystem, i.e. pre-jailbreak, pre-unlock, pre-activate, and create a complete custom .ipsw installation. In case you are already unlocked you can even tell it to disable the baseband update, just in case. Restore or Update from iTunes with custom .ipsw file and Voila! no more hassles after that.

Both tools are undergoing intensive developing and soon will be ready for public consumption."

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Is this the HUGE exploit we were hearing about last month and the DevTeam was withholding it?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Is this the HUGE exploit we were hearing about last month and the DevTeam was withholding it?

Actually we can assume it is not. Difference is the names and what the project was going to do.

Project Jerry was a method to unlock your OTB 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 via software in a whole new way.

Project Pwnage is a method to allow anyone to write any firmware to the iPhone without Apple's digital signature.

So, in conclusion nop, these two projects were different. However, one succeeded to be fully developed and the other one stayed in coding stage.

hobo

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2005
I hope this comes out soon! If the devteam sees interest in it, hopefully they'll get this going! it totally changes the game again...

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Idk about you, but I've been really impressed with the Dev Team. After that whole soft 1.1.3 upgrade BS, I was disappointed, but now with them jailbreaking 1.2, Pwnage, and dual firmware, they are still hard at work and really pulling through for the iPhone jailbreaking community...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Idk about you, but I've been really impressed with the Dev Team. After that whole soft 1.1.3 upgrade BS, I was disappointed, but now with them jailbreaking 1.2, Pwnage, and dual firmware, they are still hard at work and really pulling through for the iPhone jailbreaking community...

Indeed

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Once the Pwnage thing is completed, the iPhone possibilities will be endless, and no need to worry when new Firmware comes out! (Except for the OTB new firmware after 2.0)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Once the Pwnage thing is completed, the iPhone possibilities will be endless, and no need to worry when new Firmware comes out! (Except for the OTB new firmware after 2.0)

Pwnage, according to the Dev-Team, is highly improbable being fixed [next to impossible]. The fixing to patch out Pwnage by Apple would require the reworking of the whole iPhone software from the first boot-up process to the last process in order to boot and also the rewriting of the whole and all stock firmwares.

ajl917

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Pwnage, according to the Dev-Team, is highly improbable being fixed [next to impossible]. The fixing to patch out Pwnage by Apple would require the reworking of the whole iPhone software from the first boot-up process to the last process in order to boot and also the rewriting of the whole and all stock firmwares.

Good...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.