Projector Headlight Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Aug 28, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

[​IMG]

This brand is Depo.

I am wondering is this headlight a real projector or is it fake? Why I'm asking is if I get an HID kit and install them in this headlight will it work properly? Also supposedly it says it uses seperate bulbs one for the high and one for the low so if I got an HID kit the Xenon bulb would only work for the high beams?

2. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

If it uses separate bulbs, you'd have the HID probably only on the low beam side, and it is possible that the lens is designed to accept halogen bulbs, and as HID bulbs are supposedly hotter, they may melt it. The high beam bulb looks nonstandard though, I don't think there are HID high beam bulbs, at least easily available. As for them being fake, I don't know, but apparently lower priced ones are generally lower quality, and the light output may suffer even with HID on fake models. I'm assuming you have a Taurus or Neon (I'm going with the latter as you are a MoPar fan).

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Never had a problem running HID's on projector or reflector (I know the argument about reflectors but mine are properly adjusted). Ranging from cars aged 1988 to 1998 not one problem in three years.

But yes if you have separate low and high you want it on the low. I wouldn't advise it on the main, as your triggering the ballast each time to strike the lamp, and they take near enough 10seconds to warm up. So unless you are going to leave them on its not worth it.

And don't go higher than 6000K as you lose light output and it looks like crap! My preference is 4300K.

Oh and applefan1997 they are widely available its only a lamp on a seperate system. My current HID's use one lamp for both main and dipped.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So if I wanted to run the HiD bulb in the projector lens what bulb would I buy?

Bi Xenon or normal?

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

You need to find out what lamp it takes, e.g. H1, H2.....etc etc they all vary. Contact the manufacturer, but I wouldn't bother with the main beam. Also if your existing headlights don't have a separate main beam, how are you going to wire these main beams in?

(Mine are bi-xenon because my one headlight does both dipped and main with one lamp and not two) If you were using that headlight as pictured above you would just need a normal Xenon kit for the projector side.

6. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

[​IMG]

7. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

So both lights are controlled by one circuit?

I believe you would chop the wires going to the projector, install the HID kit, and run the power wires for the HID kit into that little blue switch (into the old wires place, this should give power to the ballast which in turn powers the lamp)

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

It seems so.

9. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Thanks so i would not be able to run the HID light in the projector housing and have low beams?

I would have a normal halogen for night driving and when I use my high beams the xenon would turn on? It just seems pointless if thats the way its going to work.

10. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I think you are missing the point, you have two choices:

1. Keep low beam as standard, and have high beam as HID
    2. Keep high beam as standard, and have low beam (projector) as HID

I would recommend number two, your night time driving is greatly transformed with a HID kit so much so, the high beams don't get used as much.

Or you can buy 2 HID kits, one for your high and one for your low.

11. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

That is one option, or use the low beams (the projector) as your HID kit, it is much more effective.

12. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I would check out the forums at Hidplanet.com. They were a great help when I did my retro a couple of years back.

13. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

According to the manufacture this is how the lights work will option 2 still work?:

Price listed is for a set of TWO headlights, one passenger side, and one driver side. The bulbs that this projector headlight set uses, is H9 for low beam, and 9005 for high beam.

14. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Sorry maybe I am getting the wrong end of the stick, are you saying when you switch the main beams on the low beams will turn off?

If the low beams use H9's there should not be a problem as long as you can get the kit for it, and you can re-wire that connector, as one circuit powers the projectors, and the other the high beams when you activate it?

Are you wanting to have HID's on the low or the high? Again shouldn't make a difference as long as you can get the correct lamps.

15. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Can i just switch the wiring so the projector lens would be the low lights and the halogen would be the high beams?

16. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I believe most cars with separate high/low beams turn off the low beam when the high beam is engaged, at least that is how mine worked. I had to make a customer wiring harness with a diode so that my low beams stay on when I engage high beam. As stated before I would ask this questions at hidplanet.com forums as there is a wealth of information on the subject.

17. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Once again your missing the point! The projector lens is the low beam and not the high!

The reflector is the high beam! Go and look on that forum as posted above seems to have some good information.

18. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I believe that is how they usually are but if not all you have to do is swap the wires and you should be set to go. Also as was previously stated try and stay under 6000k, ideally you would want 4300k or 5000k, you will not get as much color but you will get more light output, if that is what you are trying to achieve. I would also try and stay away from them since they are more bluish in colors and more easily attract police attention.

19. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

Aftermarket HID is illegal...catz even says it on the packaging and on the site..unless your car comes standard with DOT/SAE approved HID illumination system...its illegal.

20. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Gah!

Please, don't.

Almost *all* aftermarket projector headlight kits have very poor beam control, and will do a very good job at pissing off the drivers in front of you at night, especially if you put a HID kit in them as well.

21. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

OEM projector beams! w00t!

My sister's guy-friend put in some TSX projectors in and they are nice although I like the S2000 ones better.

And yes, keep the temps to under 5K. Blue tint is NOT your friend!

22. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

I have TSX projectors on mine as well, wanted S2000 too but the projectors were to large to fit i my housings. I still love them thought. :D

23. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

So I would buy the Xenon (HID) for the reflector and have a halogen bulb in the projector?

24. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Do you want HID's in the reflector as the high beam? OR HID's in the projector for your normal driving?

Buy which ever lamp you need depending on which of those options you want to do. I don't know much about aftermarket projectors, but my old BMW with angel eyes never had a problem. I've never been pulled, stopped, flashed by anybody as my lights are appropriately aimed.

25. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I do want the normal driving light to be the HID in the projector.

I have found both these kits and have asked on the HIDPLANET.COM forum.

So which one is a better buy?

DDM 55W SLIM BALLAST HID KIT Versus Prolumen 55w Lighting HID Kit Versus other.

The Prolumen includes:

- Ever Power ballast (2)
    - HID Bulbs (2)
    - Life-Time Warranty

The DDM Slim Kit includes:

- DDM Digital Slim ballast (2)
    - HID Bulbs (2)
    - Life-Time Warranty

I want a good product that wont break within a month, has good quality bulbs...

They both say add $5.00 for 3000k why is that? I want the best possible brightness , but with a small tint of blue for a luxury look.