Promising iPad Apps: Mixr and iMockups

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

We've always maintained that the excitement behind the iPad has been the introduction of large screen multi-touch platform rather than a singular Apple-defined purpose. Over the weekend, we revealed that Filemaker's personal database application will be coming to iPad on launch day.

Here are a couple of other promising upcoming iPad apps that we've run across.

Mixr

Mixr is described as the "first ever professional DJ application for iPad." The multi-touch app features cross-fading, equalizing, cue, drang & drop tracks, and full effects such as delays and auto filter.
Mixrs turntables look and feel just like real the real thing. To mix your music, all you have to do is touch the vinyl records with your fingers. You can play it, stop it, run it backwards and even control the pitch and scratch! To manipulate the sound, simply rotate the vinyl with your fingers...
No word on a release date yet but more details from the developer's site.

iMockups

iMockups offers rapid creation of mock-ups, layouts and wireframes for web, iPhone and iPad projects. Designed for workflow sketches, the iPad-exclusive app includes resizable elements representing various user interface components. A video of the app in action is available here.

Endloop.ca reports that the application has been submitted to Apple already and should be available by iPad launch.

Article Link: Promising iPad Apps: Mixr and iMockups

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
And just how are these apps better on the iPad than a full computer?
I never understand questions like yours, it's not about being better or worse, its just about more options. Don't you like options? Do you always want to sit at your desk, or lug your mac book(pro) around, don't you sometimes just want to travel light, but have similar capabilities? Options man, it's all about the options. :)

aaustin22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
the iMockups COULD be cool for a designer who wants to flesh out a quick idea at a client meeting, but at the same time, I don't see many designers who don't have a laptop to take to client meetings. But that app does appear like it would be faster to wireframe up a raw idea than it would be with Photoshop, Fireworks or Illustrator (in theory). Regardless, some of these iPad apps, at least on outward appearances, seem pretty cool. But I don't doubt that there will be just as many useless apps for iPad as there are for the iPhone/Touch. Especially with Flash CS5 about to release and the ability to make iPhone apps (and presumably iPad apps) with it. Not 100% bashing Flash here, I'm just saying that brings more iPhone/Touch/Pad developers into the mix than ever before.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
I'm getting really excited! I can't wait to pick up some of these new apps. People are just now getting a taste of what makes the iPad special. The larger screen really is the key to near endless possibilities.

My name is Aaron and I'm an iPad believer.

P.S. Does anyone know if Autodesk's Sketchbook Mobile is coming to iPad? Also can't wait for Distant Suns! And Plants vs Zombies! Ahhhh!!!

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
And just how are these apps better on the iPad than a full computer?
Laptops don't have a touchscreen.

The iPad will shine when it comes to audio apps. I can't wait to see larger screen versions of things like Bebot... apps that can be used as live instruments. This "mixr" app looks interesting too.

It will also be cool to see what people do with drawing/art apps. The larger touchscreen opens up a world of opportunities.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Is the processor powerful enough to handle a high level of music production? Could we possibly see programs like Reason on the iPad?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
I am not a DJ or Mixer but teh Mixer app looks really cool and I could see this being a great tool for DJs. Can the iPad hook up to a harddrive via WiFi or bluetooth to allow one drive for music and then the iPad?

very cool Apps coming.

jeffgtr

macrumors regular
May 9, 2005
imockups will be useful

I have been hoping an app like imockups would be available. My primary reason for purchasing an ipad was work related. To be able to have all of my documentation (primarily pdf) in one place. imockups will be super userful in meetings at work as well as with clients in my freelance side biz.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
how is Mixr accessing user's music? i though developers could only access music files for basic functionality thru the media player framework, which doesn't support pitch (nor access to copy files into OpenAL that does support pitch).

Brometheus

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2009
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

We've always maintained that the excitement behind the iPad has been the introduction of large screen multi-touch platform rather than a singular Apple-defined purpose...
Did Apple define a singular purpose? I think they have a vision of how the iPad will provide a new option, but I have the sense that they expect us, the users, to define how we want to us the iPad, based on our own interests and needs.

patsfan83

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
Seeing the detail in the full size picture of Mixr is really going to make these apps shine on the iPad.

ungraphic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Mixr is described as the "first ever professional DJ application for iPad."
DJs are going to be all over apps like this. You will see iPad mixing and scratching in every club.
No they won't, LOL. I'm a DJ, and I can easily identify a lot of problems with this device being one of if not the most tacky and unprofessional device yet to come out 'for DJs'

1) I really doubt that screen's accuracy will be any decent to do any kind of detailed navigation without first having blood boil
2) speaking of navigation, it looks extremely limited, hardly professional at all, its missing many key features.
3) the ipad maxes out at 32gb storage capacity for a ridiculous price. at that point you may as get a netbook for 1/3 the price and get 4X the capacity to store a library of mp3s (not only that, you get a full computer with complete funcionality and a way better processor! but steve jobs has made us all believe otherwise...............)
4) would the ipad or this application even recognize a flash drive/usb HDD connected to it to browse through extra music?

and lastly and above all else, since this is a self proclaimed PROFESSIONAL product, given apples amazing track record in regards to SOUND QUALITY, the ipod, the iphone, the ipod hifi, this is destined for FAIL. Apple's been known for very poor sound quality, and the iPad is not at all likely to be any better than any other portable device apple has ever released.

I laugh at news like this, I also get a real good kick out of it too.

"Professional".......LOL

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
The Future is Here

The possibilities on the iPad seem almost unlimited! It really is the step beyond mouse and keyboard computing. Just add good voice recognition and the mouse and keyboard are history.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.