Proof of 15" MBP in May.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by georgehito, Apr 26, 2012.

1. georgehito macrumors member

I've been doing a LOT of product research in order to determine when the next MBP's are coming out. A few days ago, I tried doing a 'mock purchase' (go through the buying process, but never check out) of the MBP 15" (both models- high end and low end) in order to check whether Apple was reporting any delays in shipping. When I chose the 'ship from Apple' option, I found that both models were 'in stock'. No surprises there. However, when I chose the 'pick-up at store' option, it stated that they would both be available for pick-up on May 4th.

That was slightly out of the ordinary, but nothing to get excited over. However, I also tried doing a 'mock purchase' today. For both models, they were 'in stock' to ship from Apple. However, for an 'in-store pick-up', the date had been moved back to May 8th! It's strange for Apple to move back dates on orders, unless they are either low on supplies (i.e. iPad 3 at launch), or they are updating that product very soon.

My guess is that we'll be hearing about a Keynote by next week at the latest. Also, MBP 13" and 17" models were unaffected by this anomaly- they were available for both options of delivery. That implies that Apple is going to be doing a staggered release of its MBP line.

What are your thoughts on all of this? If you want, you can try a 'mock purchase' of your own. I live in the Triangle area of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham). Maybe supplies are only constrained here. I don't know. But it would be nice to hear some input from other people.

2. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

That's not a refresh... it's a spec bump. A redesign is what I'm talking about. There hasn't been one of those since 2008. 4 years is a pretty long time- the iPhone gets redesigned every two years.

3. Bear macrumors G3

If it's not in stock, it probably treats it the same as if you ordered a CTO unit delivered to the store. So if you check a few days apart, the delivery date will change by a few days.

In other words, no news here, except that your local store is out of stock.

4. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

That makes perfect sense...and it makes me sad. :(

5. MrCaff macrumors newbie

Holy **** I think the mans on to something!

QUICK PUT YOUR ORDERS IN THEN THE MAC WAITING FOR YOU IN MAY AT STORE WILL BE THE NEW ONE OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!

6. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

It is interesting to check if shipping is delayed, but it's important to look at the length of shipping time versus just the date of arrival. ;)

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

first, why must there be a keynote to introduce a new macbook pro? when was the last time apple had one for the pro line?

second, i'm still waiting for the proof.

8. css136 macrumors member

lol... this is your conclusion to "A LOT of product research"??? you people are idiots

basically no one knows when the next MBP is coming out. there's absolutely no evidence. is the next update a redesign? who knows. again, there is absolutely no evidence.

yet you idiots here just talk and talk and talk about it. you are talking about imaginary things

9. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

It helps me cope with the anxiety I have for the release. Problem?

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

My thoughts are that you tried several days later, so it goes without saying that estimates are going to move forward by about the same also. This is very far from proof. It's not even evidence as far as I'm concerned.

11. css136 macrumors member

This place is an echo chamber. And what's worse is, nobody knows what they're talking about. Somehow, without any evidence, you've reached the consensus that a redesign is imminent.

But the next redesign could happen now, or next update, or the next update. The "evidence" you have is a general time frame and that's IT.

Nobody considers that Apple doesn't make nearly as much on its laptops, that its top engineering and design talent now works on iOS devices, that it has a new CEO, and that there is virtually no competition for the current gen MBP

how does it help your anxiety to build up false hope on virtually no evidence

12. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Agreed, I really doubt that there will be a keynote. What would they talk about for an hour? It's a new Macbook Pro! It's fast! It's thin! Please buy one! Goodbye everyone!

Unless it's some serious shift in what a Mac is, I doubt we'll be seeing many more keynotes for Mac releases. They're doing enough big announcements every year as it is with the iPad, iPhone, and WWDC.

13. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

I tried two days later. While you may be right that it's not even evidence, why do the 13" and 17" models have no shipping delay whatsoever?

14. Bear macrumors G3

I also doubt that new Mac hardware would get announced at the WWDC unless there was something radical that the developers needed to know.

And as for a release event, I think the only way we'd see one is if Apple was revamping the whole Mac line the same day. And I highly doubt Apple will be doing that.

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yeah, I could see it being folded into WWDC if there are going to be retina displays available to give some stage time about the HiDPI modes and what developers need to do to support them.

16. AppChat macrumors regular

theresbeen no redesign since 08 since well, theres nothing wrong with the current design.

next pro will be very similar

17. srxtr macrumors 6502a

18. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

Apple is phasing out its 15" stock, implying an imminent release.

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

so it can't take a month to phase out stock?

20. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

They've already started phasing out stock- at least to 3rd party retailers (remember the Best Buy shortages a few weeks ago?). If stock on the Apple site is running low, then that's a clear indicator of an incoming release. Apple wouldn't just let their stock run low for no reason.

21. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Apple retail stores get product deliveries every day except Sunday. Inventory of popular stock configurations only run low during production problems and when production is being shifted to new models. Apple actively manages in-stock inventory and the RTP stores are relatively high volume stores (Southpoint and Crabtree), and even if they were backwaters, Apple doesn't let stores run out of popular items during normal times of demand and production.

That said, when a new model is introduced, wrapped pallets are delivered that morning and the remaining inventory of the old generation product line are prepped for shipment back to Apple.

22. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I bought a refurbished 15" MBP and specified store delivery. They stated 2 weeks. Refurbished gear is always in stock if it is available to order!

As it turned out, it arrived within a week. So treat those delivery times with a grain of salt.

23. css136 macrumors member

This rumor was from weeks ago. Since it was posted, it hasn't been updated nor confirmed at multiple locations across the country.

There are no Best buy shortages in my city. I'm on a listserve where someone is asking questions about a MBP they bought last week. No inventory problems.

And you think Apple makes its decisions based on "not letting their stock run low for no reason".. worthless, second rate analysis.

***Edit: oops, just realized you're the idiot who started this thread, can't believe i wasted my time replying

24. georgehito thread starter macrumors member

Again, why are only the 15" models experiencing shipping delays? Apple has repeatedly said that their 13" model is their most popular. Why does that model have no shipping delay whatsoever? Explain that.

25. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

everyone wants the SandyBridge 15" before the crappy new ones come out