Proof that Android steels their ideas,

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cootersgarage6, Feb 19, 2011.

1. cootersgarage6, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

This has really bothered me, so I have to post this, not that I am trolling. It bothers me that Google isn't being sued or something over this. Look at the iCal app and then the Cal app on the android. Then the keyboard, and look at the dock from Samsung.

How can they not be in trouble for this? Do they seriously sit there and look at apples stuff and say "Yes! another idea I can use" or what? And for the people using Android, you can't deny any of this..,. Lol

Attached Files:

2. cmaier macrumors G3

Sorry - not seeing it. The calendar icons are similar to calendar icons that have been used forever (it's just a representation of the standard paper tear-off-day calendar). The keyboards don't look all that much alike.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Looks like to be the work of the manufacturers themselves, and not Google.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Please explain how you would differentiate on screen keyboards? Hope you got on your asbestos longjohns cause I think you're going to be flamed. I love my Apple products, but I think you are grasping at straws.

5. cootersgarage6, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

cootersgarage6 thread starter Guest

No

No, that's a bad picture of the android keyboard, google it. they look the same. that's a different one I didn't get right. It just doesn't seem right. and look at the app placement, they are in the same grid format that you swip sideways to view the rest of them.

And the phones are starting to look more and more like Apples.

6. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Personally, I don't mind when someone steels ideas, I just hate it when they iron them.

Puns aside, I find the argument this thread is trying to make both inane and baseless.

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

They steel ideas? How does one go around smelting ideas?

8. cmaier macrumors G3

The grid format is identical to how palm and even pocketpcs did it years ago. Apple didn't invent that.

9. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

There is no denying that Google took cues from Apple when designing their icons and homepage layout, however, Google's active homepage's look better than the plain, dead iOS homepage.

As for the chicklet style keyboard, you'll have a tough time with that one, regardless if you are talking physical or virtual keyboards. This style of keyboard has been around before Apple started using them.

Now if you went into Android/Hardware companies utilizing Apple patents on pinch to zoom, swipe gestures, swipe to unlock, etc... then you are on to something.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yup, thats proof all right. Good job detective.

11. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

The rather dry yet appropriate humor in some of the comments here have given me quite a hearty chuckle tonight. Thank you.

To to the OP's point: I don't necessarily think you cited perfect examples, but I must agree there is definitely some paradoy throughout the tech industry. I'm not sure one could argue that "steeling" is going on- more like modeling after or adopting of current characteristics.

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Actually, the ipad keyboard reminds me of these:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

13. Chromus macrumors regular

OHMYGAWD. They stole the QWERTY keyboard from Apple! Thieves!

14. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Hey, no! That was Palms first.

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

When the iPhone came out, it only had one homescreen because there was no support for third party apps. There was no swiping sideways.

When Windows Mobile users programmed iPhone themed program launchers, they had tons of apps to support, so they added either vertical or horizontal homescreen scrolling. Heck, so did jailbreakers on the iPhone itself.

Swiping between pages of apps was one obvious option to create, and it was done by many developers before Apple released anything similar.

16. Iphunn macrumors newbie

17. walie macrumors 6502a

All android users knows that the android keyboard highlighted by the OP is not the default Android keyboard, thats a third party keyboard with a custom skin

but i guess that doesn't count

18. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

19. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Was just about to say this.

These threads are ridiculous. Like Apple has never stolen anything from anyone :rolleyes:

20. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

OMG, Android has an on-screen keyboard! OMG, Android uses icons for their apps! Apple invented everything!

Wow, what a waste of a thread.

21. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

OP, as others have pointed out, you fail so hard.

Want to see some STOCK Android screenshots?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Honestly, do some research or at least give it some thought before ranting again. The screenshots you've shown is a custom keyboard with a skin and HTC's Sense UI calendar.

22. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You're not comparing iOS and Android, you're comparing iOS with third party skins. That doesn't make any sense... See what I did there? =P

23. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

HOLY SHEET! iPhone copies Android!
    :eek:
    [​IMG]
    (yes, that's how stupid this discussion is)

24. kRobbin macrumors member

kRobbin

The keyboard does seem very close but that's an issue with Samsung, not Google/Android.

I don't understand the issue with the qwerty keyboard.

I was surprised to hear that Oracle was suing Google for Android infringement. Maybe Larry is doing his pal Steve a favor so Steve can stay focused on the next wave of killer features and his health.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Steve Jobs: “We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas”
    and
    Steve Jobs: “Good artists copy, great artists steal”

So why are you concerned about android stealing ideas when Jobs admits to the very act ;)