Proof that Apple stores hold off supply of Ipad2s

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dan27, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Dan27 macrumors newbie

So I just came back from the Apple store @ Georgetown in DC and I saw something really weird take place. It's a beautiful Saturday here and the store was jam packed with people, mostly European tourists and out-of-towners. As I was playing with one of the gadgets, I saw one of the Apple employees carrying something covered with a piece of cloth. As he approached two people who seemed to be friends of his, he pulled the cloth and there was a brand new iPad2 packaged with the plastic on and everything. When his female friend saw it she became really nervous (plus I think she saw me staring) and the guy quickly pulled it back. I don't think he actually sold it to them, he just wanted to show off or something...but clearly they have supplies back there, although they tell you they have nothing left and have no idea when they will get a shipment, blah blah...same old story. This happened around 4pm this afternoon.
    I think this is really disrespectful of all the people who waste tons of time everyday to wait in line. Clearly they have a very good idea what number and kind of iPads they have in stock at least a day in advance. They could use this information to let people know and if they are out of stock of a particular model or have just 10 pieces in stock there is absolutely no point in waiting if there are already 30 people waiting in line when you get to the store...

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Apple Stores do keep a certain amount of stock available for replacements
    This stock is not for sale and is used only for warranty replacement

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Apple is loving these line-ups ... it keeps the launch in the news and they are milking it for all they can.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

All the Apple-centric websites were reporting all week that store policy is to hold current-day deliveries for following-day sale, so it's not a big surprise. How else do you expect them to sell iPads first thing in the morning?

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Yes, they are milking it by releasing a product everyone wants and then by paying actors to stand in lines while pretending to REALLY WANT IT

6. rritterson macrumors 6502

I do not know policy for all stores/products, but when my iPhone 4 was replaced on day 2, it came from that reserved stock but was packaged in a plain brown box, not full retail packaging.

7. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

So maybe he has ONE iPad for himself that he's buying later. That isn't actual proof.

8. gatearray macrumors 65816

This x 1,000. There is no conspiracy, they just wanted to see the box. :)

/thread

9. Dan27 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I was trying to say was that if they really know how many Ipads and what kinds they have the day before, it would make sense if they post this somewhere so that if, for instance, they have no 16Gb Att ones and this is the one you want, you don't line for hours at the store at 5am. I think it makes sense and respects peoples' time. You don't earn the money to spend $500+ on an iPad by staying in line after all. People actually have jobs they need to go to.

10. Ticonderoga macrumors newbie

I thought that was the case but after lining up on Friday I am not so sure anymore. The staff at the Emeryville, CA Apple Store was asking everyone to leave at 8:15am, saying that they didn't have any iPads. When I passed by the store later on in the afternoon, however, they said they did sold iPads that day. Only then did I understand why the 30+ organized Asians in the front of the line weren't leaving that morning despite the staff's announcement.

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I purchased my iPad 2 on launch day, last Friday evening. This is my first iPad and the first time I have have purchased an idevice on the very first day.

I went to a local Apple store here in the Bay Area at about 7:30pm. As usual, the store was full of people milling around. I asked if there were any black 32gb wifi iPad 2 models available. The salesperson told me that there were only a couple of 64gb 3G models lefted. Other than those 2 units, they were sold out. I was disappointed, but did not actually expect my preferred model to be available at that particular time of the day.

As I was examining the floor models of the iPad 2, I noticed a staff member coming out of the back room with her hands up in the air. She asked if anyone was there to purchase an iPad 2. I immediately walked towards her. Three other people made to her prior to myself. She asked that we wait patiently, as the iPads were going to be brought out. To my surprise, some 30 iPad 2s were
    brought out from the back room and placed behind the counter for all to see.

The 3 people ahead of me asked for their specific models and were quickly taken care of. I asked for my black 32gb wifi model and was processed within 3 minutes. At this point, there were some 30 people standing in line. I felt so fortunate to get my iPad . . . Especially, having literally walked off the street and not having to endure a long wait, as many others did.

On my way out of the store, I decided to take a good look at the iMacs. In short time, I heard an announcement that the iPad 2s were sold out. While still in the Apple store, I ran into a friend and told her of my successful purchase. We probably chatted for about 10 minutes when . . . Yes! . . . Another staff member made another announcement of available iPads. I thought this was a strange way to conduct business. However strange that practice seems to me me, I benefitted from the said.

12. ravenas macrumors regular

And people here wonder why there are so many virulent critics of Apple. :rolleyes:

I am so sick of Apple's chain-yanking. They have not been serving their customers well this go around. Frankly I'm now eager to asee Android competitors take them down a notch or two.

Keep up the stock shortages and store mishandling guys. All the way until June. That's the way to give Android a leg up.

13. Ticonderoga macrumors newbie

I wonder if that qualifies as lying to your customers...

14. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Replacement iPad 2's come in unmarked brown boxes. I know because I just had mine replaced yesterday.

15. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Id pay regular price for one of those brown boys right about now

16. C N Reilly macrumors regular

They're not all refurbs. Some are, but many are brand-new. They're just in brown boxes because they're never going to be sold, so it's a waste of money to put it in the more expensive glossy box with the stickers and instructions and extra charger and all that stuff.

Plus it makes it impossible for Apple Store employees to sell them against the rules. When corporate says they're for replacements only, they mean it.

17. togo7 macrumors member

Sounds like some dude trying to score some points with the ladies!

18. 62tele macrumors 6502a

It is so obvious that you are "eager to asee Android competitors take them down a notch or two" regardless of the launch "issues". It is quite obvious that Apple can sell every iPad it produces and they can't produce enough right now to fill the various supply channels to retailers. So, like it or not, there will continue to be people who walk away empty handed. I can't blame Apple for wanting to have supplies available each day when possible. The worst thing from a marketing standpoint would be to out of stock on consecutive days. That will stem enthusiasm for a product quickly.
    Android is trying, it's just failing!

19. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Come on. Apple can't produce enough. Apple knew months ago whenthey would be releasing the iPad 2. Your telling me since January they couldn't make enough

I bet they have a couple of 10's of thousands made everyday. They are just doing this to make maximum use of the media

James

20. dennisjs macrumors member

Have you actually looked at the dudes that work in the apple stores? The guys, in their blue t shirts and jeans are mostly unshaven and look like they haven't showered for a week... most ladies I know would not find this "look" appealing.

21. Rafterman macrumors 68000

Enough of the conspiracy theories. Apple does not need to create demand for the iPad, it was and is already there. And Apple does not need to create media stories because the already existing demand for the iPad generates the stories and the press coverage. In fact, not having enough to cover demand hurts Apple's image, not enhances it.

Apple is not going to hold back and not sell iPads. Not selling iPads equals not getting more money in. And no store manager is going to hurt his bottom line by holding back and having inventory they are not moving.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

You're right. People don't have to line up for a gadet at 5PM because they have jobs they need to go to. They freely decide to line up and that is their own (in some eye's stupid) decision.

23. admanimal macrumors 68040

I am so sick of stupid posts like these. It is obvious to any sane person that the iPad situation is beyond what any company would ever do just "to make maximum use of the media." There is absolutely no benefit to Apple having increasingly frustrated customers show up at their stores every morning and leave empty handed, or to not ship orders to people who ordered online the first day. Besides, last time I checked most real media sources were pretty much ignoring the iPad in favor of real events like those in Japan and Libya.

24. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

I think it's pretty ****ed up how they don't count the number of iPads/get what people want so people who line up after the number of iPads run out don't wait for nothing.

25. anon.ymous macrumors member

WAHHH!!!!! I'm so mad I couldn't get my iPad so I'm going to be super original and root for a competitor.

Go get a Dell and a Xoom and shut up. I'm done with people like you bitching about not being able to get a hot product.