Proof that Testmyiphone.com is owned by Cellphone companies!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by snverhallen, Aug 29, 2008.

1. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

Here it is, the other day I used testmyiphone.com to see my speed of my iPhone's 3G speed, and this is what it showed. THIS IS NOT A PHOTOSHOP!

Just say it already... testmyiphone.com is probably owned by CELLPHONE COMPANIES!

snverhallen

PS. I'm sure this is a obvious glitch, but funny anyway!

Attached Files:

• wow.jpg
      wow.jpg
      File size:
      102.9 KB
      Views:
  2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

the speed is very fast, but doesn't prove its owned by cellphone compaines
    anyway, why not ask the domain owner:
    Lewis, Donovan dlewis23 at bellsouth dot net
    9698 arbor oaks ln unit 208
    boca raton, Florida 33428
    United States
    (561) 706-4468

(data was found using WHOIS record lookup using www.testmyiphone.com)

4. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well iPhone speeds surely can't be that fast? It was meant to be a joke though.

I guess I wasn't apparent enough. This was meant to be light-hearted, because people have previously said that testmyiphone.com was showing faster than actual speeds; hence people saying it's owned by cell phone companies.

snverhallen

5. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Maybe Mr. Lewis owns the cell phone companies!

6. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

No, no, you're all wrong. I own the cell phone companies. And testmyiphone.com. And I cap all download speeds unless you're on testmyiphone.com.

:rolleyes:

7. philgilder macrumors 68000

ahh, I haven't seen any of those things people are saying
    if my broadband speeds were that fast, i'd be very happy!! :D

8. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly my point... let alone an iPhone 3G! :D

9. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

hey! he's from boca too?
    i'll mapquest that and go to his house and ask him

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Heh, it would have to be owned solely by AT&T. Why would the other cell phone companies want to pad your iPhone's speed?

11. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well all the cell-phone companies that carry the iPhone 3G ;).

snverhallen

12. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

First off, The OP is correct its not photoshoped, But its not taken on a iPhone either.

It was done on Verizon FIOS and taken on a computer. I have attached the entry in our database for that test.

We are not in no way owned by a cell phone company, apple, or any company. Its just me...

Attached Files:

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

pwnd. lol.

ok, while we got ya here Mr. Lewis, any comment on why TMI's results are generally so much faster than idlsr or inetworktest?

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

ahaahaaha....so owned.

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

i also checked the image data, and it says it was editied in pixelmator, which is a mac alternative to photoshop :)

16. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

To me it's obvious what the OP did...

Connected with Wi-Fi to his Verizon FIOS and did the speed test.

Turned off the Wi-Fi and opened up Safari again and took a screenshot.

Not that difficult really.

17. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but that is impossible. I live in the Netherlands, so I have no idea how those US stats came up. As for the EXIF data, I did open the image in Pixelmator and exported it through Pixelmator, simply to get a higher .jpg quality; and because the raw images from my iPhone came out of iPhoto as .png and MacRumors doesn't accept that file format. You may ask why I didn't use Preview, Pixelmator is just my default app for images.

But this thread was only meant for some light hearted humor. I am not trying to downplay your site Mr. Lewis. When you say your by yourself I don't doubt you one bit, and respect you for having created a site that has tested over 733,616 iPhone speeds.

snverhallen

18. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Thats what I thought originally. But when I looked at it, he didn't even do it on the iphone.

For future reference I added the test key to the results page so you can look it up if you want, to see if the test is real when a person posts a screen shot.

All results pages are in this format, just place the key at the end after /results/...

http://testmyiphone.com/results/tkbbsdtfkudjb

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly.

Considering theoretical speed HSDPA is 7.2Mbps max but typical speed is more like 1Mbps.

In addition, short measuring times typically don't produce accurate results.

We need a face palm smily.

20. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Yea I also get high download speeds with testmyiphone.com

I ran the speed tests from three different sources, and ran each one 10 times to get a good average. All tests where done with 4 bars of 3G...

Testmyiphone.com: 1173Kbps
    i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html: 843Kbps (seems most realistic)
    iphonespeedtest.com: 357Kbps

21. killerbee79 macrumors member

Here is my defense for testmyiphone.com

When testing my speed for my macbook pro i use www.speedtest.net. it is a very good speed test site. (NOT MEANT FOR IPHONES).
    My MBP connects to my WIFI. The speedtest.net lets you choose what server you want to connect to for the test. It of course recommends the closest one to you so you get best results. With my MBP i get 4.82 Mbps.

Now i connect my iphone to WIFI and turn off 3G. use testmyiphone.com to test WIFI speed. (see screen shot below, 4.39 Mbps) Notice how close it is to my MBP results connected to the same WIFI. That's how i know testmyiphone.com is NOT generous in its results.

IMG_0003.PNG

There is a good discussion about this on the thread "post you 3G speeds here....". More than one of us on that thread tried these tests to prove the validity of testmyiphone.com. I think it is legit, and i like it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=552169

Just my 2 cents.

22. jimfirenze macrumors newbie

testmyiphone

First, I believe the OP. I'm guessing that maybe there was a glitch wherein two (or more) tests were running at once, and the wrong one got sent back to his phone.

But the whole site is a joke, and although I doubt the developer is getting paid by the phone companies, he may as well be, and here's why:

The results for a particular phone may or may not be reliable, but the Stats and World Stats sections of the page should be stricken from the site. The users are allowed to say what kind of test they are running, so the EDGE statistics are WAY overblown. Sure, the developer could put a cap on info for EDGE results that exceed EDGE's capability, but I'm sure hundreds if not thousands of WiFi results have been reported as having been EDGE, which has made it extremely frustrating to get AT&T to admit they have an infrastructure/speed issue with EDGE.

At least put a caveat on the site stating that the stats are user-driven and therefore could be extremely out of whack.

23. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

That can't happen. Every time someone runs a speed test they are given a unique ID that no one else has so you do not get someone else's results at the end.

The speed test that OP posted wasn't even done on a iPhone.

It doesn't exactly work that way. Sure people can select edge when they are on wifi. But there are these things called host names. So when the stats are counted for edge it only counts stats with host names form mobile ISP's that have iPhones.

For example in the US when the edge average is counted it only counts tests that are taken with the host name mycingular.net

But If someone was to select edge when they were on 3G the host name would be the same so then we also only count tests that are slower then 350kbps because edge will never go faster then that in the real world.

Our stats are very accurate. And about 97% of people select there correct connection type. I changed the way people select their connection type because of the stats becoming in accurate.

24. snverhallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

With all due respect Mr. Lewis, I did do that test on my iPhone. I know it doesn't make sense, but I DID have that test on my iPhone 3G. I DO NOT live in the US, I live in the Netherlands, Verizon isn't even AVAILABLE here. My service provider is T-Mobile, and my internet provider via my computer is Versatel.

snverhallen

25. jimfirenze macrumors newbie

That can't happen. Every time someone runs a speed test they are given a unique ID that no one else has so you do not get someone else's results at the end.

And you're sure it's not a bug? Two phones submitting a test at the same time, and getting assigned each other's id's?

The speed test that OP posted wasn't even done on a iPhone.

That doesn't disprove anything if in fact the results got transposed

For example in the US when the edge average is counted it only counts tests that are taken with the host name mycingular.net

Then why make the user choose at all (in the first version; I'm sure you've done some work since)? It's an acceptable answer though.

But If someone was to select edge when they were on 3G the host name would be the same so then we also only count tests that are slower then 350kbps because edge will never go faster then that in the real world.

I already mentioned that. How do you account for the 3G speeds that come in at 349kbps that get reported as EDGE? That, right there, makes the whole stats portion need to be thrown out.

Our stats are very accurate. And about 97% of people select there correct connection type. I changed the way people select their connection type because of the stats becoming in accurate.

Sorry, man, you can't make that statement about accuracy. You admit you have NO WAY to determine the difference between 3G and EDGE for connections slower than 350kbps. That inherently makes your data unreliable. There are many instances where 3G speeds will post speeds between 100kbps and 350kbsp. That same phone in that same location could post EDGE speeds anywhere from 1kbps to ~259kbps