Props for 2 features in 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WhySoSerious, Jun 18, 2009.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I just wanted to give props on 2 features in 3.0 that seem to be snubbed by a lot of people.

1. voice recorder. love this app and i'm glad apple put it out there. hopefully in the next revision, this app will allow users to record phone conversations. but otherwise, as it is now, i love this app.

2. find my phone. if 3.0 only had 5 new features, this would make the list. i feel bad for the people who don't spend (or can't spend) the fee for MM. this feature alone is almost like apple care "for the rest of us"....in that if you lose your phone, you have a MUCH greater chance of recovering that $$$$ piece of equipment. amen to this

peace

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

yeah those are great, can i ask what do you mainly use the voice recorder for?

3. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Recording his voice?

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

wow we have a genius here

5. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Ahhh, that’s what that application is for….:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

doesn't say much about you for asking the initial question :rolleyes:

7. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

well, in the past, on older phones that had voice recording features, i would record meeting minutes. instead of carrying a dedicated voice recorder, it was nice having the feature on my phone.

a second, personal situation, was when i was "dating" a married woman and after i decided i wanted to cut ties with her (heat was getting too much), i turned on the voice recorder and captured some audio used as blackmail to get her off my back.

anyway, it's a good app and i LOVE the design of it.

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Priceless!!! :p

9. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

no offense, but why when something comes out, people have to make 10 billion threads about useless crap. I'm sorry dude, no offense, but that's great that you like the search option and the voice app thing, but was it necessary to make a thread over what you like about it? This same thing goes to the guy that is complaining about not liking the landscape mode. u-s-e-l-e-s-s threads!

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Some states have laws that prohibit recording of a phone conversation unless both parties agree to it. That's probably the reason Apple doesn't allow recording of phone calls. It's probably a legal grey area that they don't feel like messing with.

11. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

enlighten all of us then.....what is a u-s-e-f-u-l thread in your opinion? while you conjure up a reply, i'm going to do a search on your username and see what kind of quality threads/replies you've brought to MacRumors.....tty in a bit....

EDIT: quality threads buddy, quality threads....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=429101

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=446234

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=558236

12. matts1501 macrumors member

matts1501

i once knew a guy who lost his virginity to a married woman. this may have come in handy for him

13. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

Too bad anyone who steals your iPhone can turn off the "Find my iPhone" feature right when they get it. Hopefully they won't be smart enough to realize this new feature, but odds are that they'll have some tech experience. I just wish that Apple would release an update that would require you to enter a PIN to deactivate this feature if someone stole it, and if Apple allowed anyone to use the feature for a one time fee of $10 or something (a lot of people might end up using it, no one will pay $100 for MobileMe just to find their iPhone but would definitely pat a small fee to use it temporarily).

14. ASN21 macrumors member

noob....you should have just put this in another thread....

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm curious what you use the Camera app for?

16. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

the OP knew what i meant. as in what type of things would he record, lectures, business meetings. i just wondered what different people thought it was useful. shut up if you have nothing useful to say

17. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

how are they going to turn off the feature when my iphone is password locked?

18. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

Mobile Me is pretty much useless. It wasn't until recently that they even paid any attention to it. Now it seems they are trying to add stuff to get that steady subscription thing going.

Back-to-my-Mac is cool. Not everyone works with Macs though. The only thing that I do important on my mac that would make me want to remote into it is downloads. That can wait.

The Find-my-iphone feature is a decent addition. I would benefit more from investing in my brain and cognitively keeping track of a device that technically costs about $3k. Yeah, mistakes do happen, but 9 times out of 10, if you lost your iPhone, someone else has it and factory restored it or something anyway. I see this feature being abused by boyfriends/girlfriends in some high school love affair where they don't trust each other.

I know this thread was about the 3.0 features, but I don't want you to feel sorry for me about MM. I think it is a rip-off.

19. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

The password lock will only deter the noob that doesn't know much about technology. Even that is a toss up because everyone knows how to use google these days.

20. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

not sure how MM is a "rip off" or "useless".

Out of all the other mail/calendar/storage services out there, it's probably the best at integrating with the iphone....which is the MO of apple....make things that are intuitive and work well together.

I think most people scoff at MM because of the rocky start it had AND the fact it cost money. A lot of cheap asses will just complain because they can't pay the subscription fee or upset that Apple even charges a fee.

The bottom line is MM integrates perfectly with the iphone better than google or yahoo or exchange for email and calendar usage. MM also offers things that these other services don't.

Don't call the product a "rip off" or "useless" when it's clearly not. If you do want to make claims like that, at least man up and provide some supporting facts to prove your statements. Otherwise, you just sound like some broke-ass whining about the cost of a subscription.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

For you, maybe. Why do people always forget to add that disclaimer (X is useless FOR ME.)? I'm actually starting to consider it because of how many good features they've added recently.

You give thieves waaay too much credit. ;) It's like having an alarm on your car - it won't stop someone who really knows what he's doing, but it very well might stop your average thief. Just because something isn't a 100% solution doesn't mean it's worthless.

Anyway, I too like the voice memo app, but I'm surprised they built it in to every iphone. There were plenty of very good 3rd party solutions available (cheaply) on the app store, and I don't think this is the kind of thing that's so basic that everyone needs to have it.

22. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

right.....and i could sit here spouting off "what if's" all day to counter-argue your point.

the fact is, the feature provides a value to the consumer and helps them locate their property. I'm willing to gamble that you have your phone on you almost all the time and know where it is all the time....therefore, if you were to lose it, you'd know it was lost withing minutes. If you went to a restaraunt, left your phone on the table, got in the car to drive home, got home and realized the phone was missing, I doubt the person that picked up your phone hurried home and did some "hacking"/"restoring" to your phone. It's just not that plausible it would occur that quickly.

Don't knock the service negative nancy.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why so serious?

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yeah, cause as we all know even petty criminals read Gizmodo.

25. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

MobileMe is pretty much useless for anyone that has no use for its features. For those of us that do, it's actually quite useful. In fact, I use it on a daily basis. Imagine that.