Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
My rule: watch for releases closely; if you don't like the new product, be quick to get the former one, unless you want to wait another year+ .

This is what I have done with the ACDs of yore. At this turning point it's a very good idea to wait and see since you have the cash for new and current, and when the update does come you can grab it if it suits you, grab the previous model at a discount, or grab a 3rd party, comparable product for a little less or more.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Um... there's Mini DisplayPort to DVI, so I'm pretty sure that DVI to Mini DisplayPort is possible. ;):D

I think you're just being sarcastic.. but for the sake of those who didn't catch the sarcasm - DVI to DisplayPort (or miniDP) is NOT possible. Well, not without active converter which would have to plug into an AC outlet and likely to cost hundreds of dollars..

kenned

macrumors member
May 16, 2008
Denmark
Because when you connect an adapter, it only puts together the right wires etc.
Your Graphicscard needs to be able to detect what adapter you connected and then send the right signal out through the first cable

At least thats what i've heard

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Because when you connect an adapter, it only puts together the right wires etc.
Your Graphicscard needs to be able to detect what adapter you connected and then send the right signal out through the first cable

At least thats what i've heard

I believe there is some truth there as current DVI ports can identify the type of display attached, what it's model, what resolution and refresh it's capable of handling along with it's status.. this is all before sending the signal to drive the device.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Why does it need that?

OK, so you weren't being sarcastic.. ;) Simple adapter from DVI to DisplayPort is NOT possible, because DVI port is not able to output a signal electrically compatible with DisplayPort spec. DVI to DP conversion is theoretically possible, but it requires an electrical signal conversion.. which would have all sorts of implications to video quality, etc. So it's not a matter of a simple adapter cable crossing pins.

Similar reason why you can't get an adapter going from VGA to DVI-D, but the reverse is supported.

Mr.PS

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2008
I would most definitely wait for the 30" LED. I have dual 30" cathode models and while great they have a flaws. First is they get grainy as they get older. Another issue is that burning in certain objects that are on the screen for long periods of time in the same place is easy.

I'd wait for the LED's no doubt!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
OK, so you weren't being sarcastic.. ;) Simple adapter from DVI to DisplayPort is NOT possible, because DVI port is not able to output a signal electrically compatible with DisplayPort spec. DVI to DP conversion is theoretically possible, but it requires an electrical signal conversion.. which would have all sorts of implications to video quality, etc. So it's not a matter of a simple adapter cable crossing pins.

Similar reason why you can't get an adapter going from VGA to DVI-D, but the reverse is supported.

That's because they're two different technologies... but Mini DisplayPort to DVI works without electric conversion... :confused:

A little more clarification, please.:eek:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
ermm, so is the Mac Pro (and supposedly the new 30") supposed to be announced this tuesday?

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
No. Looking more like June and it depends on whether they ship them only with Snow Leopard or not.

why is it so far off. any particular reason why. seems like the MP's are way overdue for an UPdate :rolleyes:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Not really. They're not overdue.

And it is still impossible for them to be updated.

why.

when was the last time there were updated. call me selfish and self-centered. but anythime a product ain't updated just when i want to buy - then they are overdue. heh :D

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
why.

when was the last time there were updated. call me selfish and self-centered. but anythime a product ain't updated just when i want to buy - then they are overdue. heh :D

Why which? Why can't they be updated or why aren't they out of date?

They can't be updated because the processors don't exist.

They aren't out of date because the Mac Pro is a workstation, and it is the responsibility of Apple to have at least a year between updates so that companies can be assured that their latest hardware purchases are not immediately outdated.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Why which? Why can't they be updated or why aren't they out of date?

They can't be updated because the processors don't exist.

They aren't out of date because the Mac Pro is a workstation, and it is the responsibility of Apple to have at least a year between updates so that companies can be assured that their latest hardware purchases are not immediately outdated.

i was referring to why they can't be updated.

ok, i thought the MPs were over a year old. well, if the processors aren't ready then fair enough.

but that shouldn't up hold the release of the new 30" LED displays

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
ok, i thought the MPs were over a year old. well, if the processors aren't ready then fair enough.

but that shouldn't up hold the release of the new 30" LED displays

It could if Apple intends the new 30" ACD to be DisplayPort-only (like its 24" predecessor). In that case, Apple cannot release them until the desktop line is also updated with DP ports.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
That's because they're two different technologies... but Mini DisplayPort to DVI works without electric conversion... :confused:

A little more clarification, please.:eek:

DP and DVI are different technologies too ;)

The details on how Apple has made its miniDP graphics backwards-compatible with DVI are sketchy.. but as I understand it, Apple added circuitry within the GPU hardware to detect DVI displays & output DVI compatible signal accordingly.. The reverse would obviously not be true for standard DVI hardware.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
UPDATE: I went and bought one anyway. Guess well know in the next 3-4 months whether the new 30's (or bigger) will have the black bezel, glass and/or matte screens. Can't wait :D

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
What computer do you have; did you ever say?

Its hooked up to the very last of the all alu MBP 17's, before the unibodies. Didn't like the all gloss 15" unibodies at the time and couldn't wait for the 17's to be released. Its a CTO 2.6 GHz, 6GB RAM, 128 SSD, 1920x1200

Actually waiting for the new Mac Pro to be released also.. Tower or another laptop.. still undecided

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The truth is, that it doesn't make any sense for Apple to even offer a mini display port at all. Let alone a 17" $2800 laptop with a built in battery and NO quad core. It doesn't make sense for Apple to do a lot of things.

Even in regards to Tallest's ideas for the new MacPro, I don't get how Apple could ever put MDP on a tower and sell you a monitor made specifically for a Macbook with a power cord hanging out doing nothing but collecting dust.

But right now, I don't put anything past the iPhone crazy Apple. They will do anything to piss off the customers that know better, and to WOW and SHOCK the customers that don't have a F*#(ing clue.

I really could not disagree any more with that opinion. In respect to my new 15.4' Unibody Mac Book Pro, it is a complete upgrade and improvement over my 2007 November 2.4 Mac Book Pro in EVERY way. Speed, spec, performance, quality, looks etc etc.
It has a mini display port, so, it will connect to a VGA monitor fine DVI monitor fine. I don't care it doesn't have quad core as it is under an inch thick! Blue Ray, don't care, how long is it going to take to burn 50GB anyway plus USB pens are used so much these day's anyway.

As for the OP question? the FirePro and Quadro graphics cards have full display ports, no reason for Apple not to support it with a very expensive pro machine aimed at media professionals. I like the black border, and I really cannot see the new ACD's having built in Mag Safe, just USB and possibly Fire Wire, they do now, the screen with Mag Safe is aimed at the laptops.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
I'm waiting period, i've been putting off buying a 30 inch sense last year when I got my mac pro and now that I save up $4400 towards the display I hope it's worth the wait, I sure hope that the LED 30 inch will have adapters or we might have to buy a new video-card that supports display-port, I'm sure Apple will make the GPU card backward capability like Apple did with the 8800GT for first Gen. Mac Pros but hope that I don't have to shall out any more cash if they include adapters with the display

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
All i can say is if they bring out a sh*tty gloss display with black bezel, i will purchase another 30 ACD immediately, and save some bucks to boot. HEH

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
All i can say is if they bring out a sh*tty gloss display with black bezel, i will purchase another 30 ACD immediately, and save some bucks to boot. HEH

I think Apple is going the 24 inch LED route for the 30 inch but give you a choice of glossy or non-glossy like they doing with the 17 inch MacBook Pros

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I think Apple is going the 24 inch LED route for the 30 inch but give you a choice of glossy or non-glossy like they doing with the 17 inch MacBook Pros

LED is all good. black fat bezel? = No good.
The idea of spanning 30's would be compromised

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.