Pros & Cons of Jail Breaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by gamecube117, Mar 12, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find a thread.

I may think about converting from a BB to iPhone, however, I want to do more researching before I make a final decision.

I want to know the Pros & Cons of Jail Breaking, because I know it can significantly make the iPhone a lot more "fun", but I need to know what the downside of it is, because all great things has it's bad side.

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Only downside is not being able to upgrade to the latest OS without losing your jailbreak.

3. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Pro: Do whatever you want on your iPhone.
    Con: Risk of bricking your device. If it gets bricked, Apple is not responsible.

4. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is "bricked"? Broken?

And damn, I did not know it could break because of jailbreak. AppleCare won't even cover it? :eek:

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Cons-

Jailbreaking users can't upgrade to the latest version of the OS until a new Jailbreak version is released.

Is if there is ever a problem with their phone, they would need to restore it before they could take it to an Apple store to be looked at.

Since it's not authorized by Apple (nor does it or any of the apps supported by it have to go through Apple's testing), it can be buggier than a stock iPhone.

Pros-

More more than I'm willing to list.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

7. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

The term 'bricked' is thrown around FAR more than it should.

I have never heard of an iPhone being permanently bricked. There certainly can be hoops to jump through and it can be a very big hassle, but there has always been a fix (these boards are great for helping people get out of messes like this).

AppleCare won't cover it because you agreed to not modify the OS when you bought it. Simply, restore the phone back to stock state and you can return or exchange your phone.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Bricked is completely broken, never to work again... basically turning your phone into a very pretty (and expensive) paperweight.

Why should AppleCare cover it? Jailbreaking isn't supported or endorsed by Apple and if anything were to happen to your phone, you're taking the responsibility upon yourself. It's no different than if you were to open it and tinker too much with the inner workings. AppleCare only covers the phone if it's used in the manner they see fit.

9. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Don't worry about it, the chance of having a true "bricked" iPhone is slim to none, more likely to win the lottery every day. There are always ways out of recovery mode, just a lot of people don't know and end up thinking their phone is "bricked"... you can see plenty of examples of that alone on this forum when people post up and told how to fix their "bricked" phone lol. But Apple won't repair or do anything with a phone if you bring it in jailbroken.

Cons - like said can't take it as-is to an store for return/replacement/warranty work, have to restore it beforehand. JB in itself causes no issues, but you may use a screwy app or hacked one where you can get glitches, just research what your downloading, I've personally really never had issues over the years. And you can't update to the most recent os till another jb for it is released, but no big deal imo since Apples updates lately seem to cause more issues then they fix lol.

Pros - customizing the phone to your liking not Apples, and some apps/programs actually make the phone better to use yet something simple like SBS... Apple refuses to implement. Here's some good ones from another post:

SBSettings - worth it just to jb for this alone, so much more efficient and better then Apples setup and it integrates perfectly with the notification center... why Apple doesn't do this is beyond me
    5/6 icon docks and scrolling dock options
    Gridlock to place app's anywhere on pages
    Barrel (gives the borring OS new life when switching pages, mine's set to curl and roll away)
    FolderEnhancer to replace the dumb Apple folder system, no more restricted # of apps per folder, and can have folders within a folder (great having a game folder that's organized like actions, puzzles, shooting etc.... or same for business folders)
    Winterboard/Dreamboard
    Quickscroll2 is awesome when browsing
    iFile - enough said
    Activator - enough said
    Zephyr (if you want to use gestures)
    Callbar who doesn't love not being interrupted while in the middle of something lol

and I know there's others I'm forgetting

10. labman, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

labman macrumors 604

labman

chance of bricking a device 1% the only way to do it right now is on newer 3gs models and installing the ipad baseband to unlock it will blow out the raido making it useless. that's it other then that restore as new via itunes removes the jailbreak. Also good if you need to take the device into Apple. ;) I've been jailbreaking for over 3 years.

11. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jail Breaking is making me have my doubts if I'm being truthfully honest. I'm about to spend over $800 CAN on an iPad 64GB Wifi. I don't want to Jail Brick, and my newly iPad ends up being bricked.

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

in this case my advice is don't your not getting you can't brick it you can have software conflicts or bugs. (nothing serious) but I think you are just going to end up OCD about everything and blame it on the jailbreak.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Jailbroken over 100 devices have yet to have one "brick"

I have experienced freezes. Simply fire up the computer, hold the home button and plug in the device. Wait about 20 seconds, done.

14. WhoAmI2, Mar 12, 2012

WhoAmI2 macrumors member

Sorry but this poster has no clue. You can't brick your phone with the new jailbreakng programs. Back with OiPhone you COULD brick your phone and JB took over an hour. Scary stuff!

Yeah I don't think you should jailbreak either. You obviously don't listen to people who actually know what they are talking about (the ones saying you won't brick your device) and are listening to the 1 or 2 that don't know what they're talking about (those that say you could brick your device) so don't do it.

Even if you could brick your device how is apple going to tell you it's because you tried to JB it? They wouldn't know (because it's bricked ;))

15. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am listening to everyone. I've never spent so much on a piece of technology before. The most expensive technology piece I own is a iPod Touch 4th Gen, 32 GB. I'm not tech savy. However, if we're talking about shopping, that's a totally different story and no such thing as limits. But to be back on topic - I hope you understand where I am coming from. I will do more research into jail breaking. The "brick" is one concern but it may also be a hassle for me to consistently jail break whenever there is a new "iOS".

16. WhoAmI2 macrumors member

It sounds like you've made your mind up already so what's the point in continueing the conversation?

I understand where you're coming from. I was in the same boat back when I was reading up on the over an hour long process of jailbreaking the first iPhone and reading the big warnings on how it could end with a bricking of your phone. That isn't possible with todays software (I guess anything is possible but it's not possible). If you have reservations then don't do it. However don't listen to the alarmists, they are simply that.

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I was also worried about something going wrong before jailbreaking my 4S but now I can't imagine using it without being jailbroken. You have to be willing to look up things and find solutions in case you have any problems. It's really not difficult to do most things and you shouldn't have any problems but if you do then you have to be willing to figure out what's wrong and fix it, either by restoring using iTunes or deleting whatever you downloaded that may have caused a problem.

18. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Personally, i have found 0 cons so far and i have been jailbreaking my iPhones for the last 2 years. I cannot live without a jailbreak. No jailbreak = no iPhone :)

The pros, well once you jailbreak you will get to know and love them. Too many to list!

19. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The odds of bricking your device are minimal. To me the worst part about kailbreaking is not being able to update the OS.

Like right now if you're on 5.0.1 you cant update to 5.1. The new version may not have that many new features but the ability to delete photos from photo stream is pretty important to me so I did update my iPad but for now I'm holding off with my iPhone.

The other big con to me is getting used to the tweaks you install. I personally love my iPhone regardless of whether it's jail broken or not. But you should have seen all the comments on different threads by folks who were seriously hating their iPhones because they couldn't jailbreak them. I think that's a bit ridiculous but hey, different strokes right?

I can see it though, there are some tweaks that are very useful and once you get used to it it can be tough to have to do without. And there's no way around this when it comes time to upgrade to a new version of your iPhone especially if there's a new processor. I'm on the fence right now. A few days ago I removed all my tweaks to see if I would be okay without them. So far so good and I think I'm going to unjlaibreak in a couple days.

20. jsquared, Mar 12, 2012

jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Sorry to hijack but I didn't want to start a new thread for an easy answer...

AFTER googling I found the only JB for iP4 is a tethered JB (redsnow), is this true?

Oh to stay on topic, infinifolders and SBSettings is the only reason I jailbreak these days. I love only having two folders on my homescreen.

21. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

What iOS version are you on?

You can use this to help you figure out what tools to use http://www.iclarified.com/jailbreak/index.php

22. jsquared, Mar 12, 2012

jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

BTW OP I think if you have to question if what is good about JBing, it might not be for you....

I'm on 4.2.1 and currently JBd but I'd like to get iOS5. I'm happy with my phone now but if I wanted iOS5 I'd have to do the tethered redposion right?

[​IMG]

23. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah as far as I know. You should have updated to 5.0.1 when you had the chance. I've never tried a tethered jailbreak but I don't think it would be that bad. I don't know about you but I don't turn my phone very often.

24. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Yea I was in the process of buyin a new mac and didn't wanna mess with it because it wasn't broken. I just want to get the built in function to take a photo from the lock screen bc the JB app snappy is too fickle.

I don't ever let my phone die either but there are time where it get's bogged down and shuts off on it's own once a month....so I'll wait for untethered. No biggie....

I apologize for taking up this space....Now back to your regularly schedule post about "To JB or not to JB"

25. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

You can use apps like Springtomize or CamerLocker.to always keep the camera button on the lock screen. I use springtomize 2 and it works fine so I'm not sure what you mean is snappy