Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
I am thinking of getting a Macbook Pro sometime in June.

I was wondering what were the pros and cons of using it not only as a laptop, but as a desktop alternative (attaching a monitor to it) and using it as my desktop.

Are there going to be heat issues with it being used as a desktop and always on?

Can I use it closed with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor hooked up with no problems?

Your advice is appreciated. This would be my first mac. :)

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
No problems using it as a desktop with a monitor attached. I wouldn't use it in clam shell mode. It does not vent as well that way. Best thing to do is use dual screens. I used my MBP as my only computer for months before I got my MP, and it works very well as both a laptop and a desktop.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
I wouldn't use it in clam shell mode.

I'm guessing this means closed.

I was thinking of setting it up so my monitor sat on a stand above it so it wouldn't get in the way on my desk.

I don't want to have heating issues where it may overheat or damage my screen on the laptop though.

Can you dual screen with the macbook pro on 1 resolution and a 24" monitor. It might bother me with a small and a large screen like that.

I don't currently have the money to buy both a desktop and a laptop at one time to make the full switch, but I didn't want to put my monitor to waste. Tough situation because I am eager to switch as soon as I can.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
You can have your main desktop on the external monitor if you like. Not sure what you mean by "Can you dual screen with the macbook pro on 1 resolution and a 24" monitor." Sentence doesn't make sense to me. If you mean, "Can you dual screen with the macbook pro on one resolution and a 24" monitor on another." then yes you can.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
You can have your main desktop on the external monitor if you like. Not sure what you mean by "Can you dual screen with the macbook pro on 1 resolution and a 24" monitor." Sentence doesn't make sense to me. If you mean, "Can you dual screen with the macbook pro on one resolution and a 24" monitor on another." then yes you can.

Ok Thanks. Sorry for the unclear sentence.

erikistired

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2006
(770)
the only problem i've had with using my mbp as a desktop is gaming. otherwise, it works great as a single solution for all my computing. i find that it gets really hot while closed, but if you get a nice stand it stays up and out of the way on your desk.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I sold my PC laptop and desktop and bought a 17" HP laptop as my only machine. Served me well for three years.

I own a Gen. 1 MacBook and an Al iMac and I plan to buy a Mac Pro this fall/winter. So I am thinking of selling both my MacBook and iMac and getting a 15" MacBook Pro with a 30" display and use the MBP as my main machine until I get the Mac Pro.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
No problems here, but using anything processor intensive will drive the heat up. This means watching videos for a while, anything by adobe, etc... If you get a notebook cooler to put under your MBP then it'll be perfect.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
No problems here, but using anything processor intensive will drive the heat up. This means watching videos for a while, anything by adobe, etc... If you get a notebook cooler to put under your MBP then it'll be perfect.

Hmm. I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver quite a bit. I'm hoping that if the new macbook pro designs are released in june, they'll have dealt with heating issue with possibility a better design.

I may just wait and either get an imac and mbp or a mini and mbp.

I'd just rather best of both worlds without having to clutter my desk space or risk ruining the laptop.

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
Hmm. I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver quite a bit. I'm hoping that if the new macbook pro designs are released in june, they'll have dealt with heating issue with possibility a better design.

I may just wait and either get an imac and mbp or a mini and mbp.

I'd just rather best of both worlds without having to clutter my desk space or risk ruining the laptop.

Well PS, regardless of penryn, will heat the MBP quite a bit since it tends to be processor intensive. Of course, like I said you can just get a notebook cooling pad and that would solve the issues. then you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Although the MBP itself is designed to take the heat as it has its own built in cooling system.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
Well PS, regardless of penryn, will heat the MBP quite a bit since it tends to be processor intensive. Of course, like I said you can just get a notebook cooling pad and that would solve the issues. then you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Although the MBP itself is designed to take the heat as it has its own built in cooling system.

What do you mean a cooling pad? Are these designed specifically for Macbook Pros?

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Jessica Alba or not, I have a 2.2 'Merom' MacBook Pro (late 2007 model), that is now my only computer.

I use it extensively for Photoshop and Lightroom (I'm a photographer) and don't have any problems with heat. Sure, it can get warm, but I've not had any overheating issues, or having the MBP be too hot to use?

I do know if using Handbrake/VisualHub the processor usage is extensive, and that - of course - makes the fans kick in, but that's what they're for, I guess!

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Are you guys nuts thinking running mbp closed will somehow damage it??

Any reports of machines overheating? :rolleyes: I've never seen any...

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
I run my MBP core duo in closed lid mode all the time at home connected to my 22" Samsung, works very well, doesn't get too hot, vents fine right out the back as usual...

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
My 2.33 was dreadful in clamshell mode. Roared like a Harrier. With lid open, however, it was great. In the end, at least for me, I decided it wasn't a great desktop solution, but others love it.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I do exactly what you want to do and let me say:

There are 0 heating issues in clamshell (closed lid) mode as long as you set it on a desk, not on a cloth or something.

Whats preferred by most people is to open the lid and use extended desktop mode. I do this at work where I have the extra room and have all my stuff on one monitor and my application I am working on in another monitor, but back at my room (I work where I live so no house, just a room) I have my mac closed and just up on the monitor and have never had any type of issue heating wise, keeping it shut will not ruin the screen and it will run just fine.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
I do exactly what you want to do and let me say:

There are 0 heating issues in clamshell (closed lid) mode as long as you set it on a desk, not on a cloth or something.

Whats preferred by most people is to open the lid and use extended desktop mode. I do this at work where I have the extra room and have all my stuff on one monitor and my application I am working on in another monitor, but back at my room (I work where I live so no house, just a room) I have my mac closed and just up on the monitor and have never had any type of issue heating wise, keeping it shut will not ruin the screen and it will run just fine.

This is great to hear.

As far as using the MBP open, Can you set the larger screen to default?

Also, what type of setup do you use when it's shut?

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Just use it closed, it won't let itself heat up too much. If you want to help though get a KoolSink stand, it will keep the fan speeds down and ensure the vent is high enough above the desk to get a decent flow of air. Works a treat and I run Handbrake all the time (though on my MB, which is different, but I used to use my PB closed all the time).

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
You guys i wouldnt worry about the MBP overheating, i mean it isnt the x360 is it? The penryn keeps the heat lower than the last models and afterall, thats what the fans inside the computer are for. Whats the point of apple putting these strong processors inside the MBP if the computer overheats while using them to their potential? doesnt make sense, so you can feel safe that the MBP wont overheat.

As long as you have your computer on a desk while your running a very taxing program youll be fine.

Hatchet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Baton Rouge
You guys i wouldnt worry about the MBP overheating, i mean it isnt the x360 is it? The penryn keeps the heat lower than the last models and afterall, thats what the fans inside the computer are for. Whats the point of apple putting these strong processors inside the MBP if the computer overheats while using them to their potential? doesnt make sense, so you can feel safe that the MBP wont overheat.

As long as you have your computer on a desk while your running a very taxing program youll be fine.

The main reason why i was asking is when i go to my local apple store, the MBP units feel warm to the touch as they are on all day. But, they are open as well. So i didn't know if the heating got worse closed or not.

In any case, thanks for the feedback. This is my best bet. I can't wait!

cwalex18

Feb 19, 2008
United States
I use my 15" MBP as my primary machine. The only limitation I have found is when playing high graphic intensity video games, otherwise my MBP works great as a desktop replacement. Don't worry about overheating. If it is sitting on a desk you will not notice the overheat issue.

By the way, congratulations on getting your first mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.