Pro's(Good Things) about MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MPHL, Jun 22, 2008.

1. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I am posting this for a friend who is trying to convince there parents that a MacBook pro is a great and solid computer. I am trying to come up with a list of things that they could show there parents that would convince them that Macbook Pro's actually are sweet. Im looking for some suggestions about unique things to MacBook Pro's. Some examples are: Spaces, The multi-touch trackpad, ect. Thank you very much for your help!!

2. hoangcong macrumors member

It really depend on the budget.
    Would you feel happy if your parents dished out 2000$+ for something you might not even use for work? I reckon the graphic card would be to play games which any cheaper HP and other laptop can do.
    I wouldn't.
    Tell him to get a part time job and buy it with his own money, it will make him care more about it.

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Well neither of those items are specific only to the MBP but I would bring them to an :apple: store, maybe the MB would be easier to swallow? Let them decide when they see them next to the other models... ;) :)

4. MPHL thread starter macrumors regular

MPHL

Ok...Money is not a problem at all. I'm looking for some good examples of cool features that leopard has that she could show her parents.

5. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

Just tell them it makes for a very expensive yet nice looking paper weight :D

6. hoangcong macrumors member

I think there are no better place to advertise for her parents than apple.com :)
    They will show all the good part of an apple in a nice advertising and graphical way :D
    (don't show them the apple store yet :p)

7. sbf74 macrumors member

Lack of XP/Vista related crashes, blue-screen of death
    OS-X is stable and much more reliable (but does take some getting used to)
    High quality components
    Good service
    Beautiful screen
    Back lit keyboard is amazing!
    Good connectivity, very easy to configure printers, modems etc etc
    Magsafe is great

But again, most of this is also present in the baseline Macbook.... and a lot of these features are also in Windows based systems.

Best bet is to do some research on these forums, have a look at Apple.com, and go into a store and actually play with the machines yourself.
    Good luck.

8. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

If you want a laptop with it's own sleep schedule then a MacBook Pro is perfect for you.

9. gr8bob macrumors regular

I'd second that.. just not sure if the 2nd part (read: nice looking) applies these days considering the case do deform horribly (decently) and easily on most MBP's these days..

:apple: fanboys please don't get flamed up.. I personally had nothing but frustration with Leopard glitches and graphic corruption/freeze issues with my MBP in the four months of owning it. Now that it's in with the guys at the Apple service centre, I'm one week Mac-less (if there's such a word) already and they haven't even had a look on it.. :mad:

Aside from that.. it's a pretty decent machine, with a pretty decent OS.. if you can live with the *minor* issues.. and spending quite some $$ on it.. :rolleyes:

10. hoangcong macrumors member

I beg to differ, my fiancee have a hp with vista preloaded and it never has crashed in 6 months. I myself had vista for a couple of months and it ran smoothly till i sold it on ebay.

It is just a matter of preference, vista isn't as slow as people tend to think.
    Macs look sexy and are probably performing a bit better. (PC games works best for windows if she is playing a lot of games)

But unless you are doing something really intensive it would be negligible.

11. MPHL thread starter macrumors regular

MPHL

Do you guys not read the OP. All I'm asking is good things about Macs and Leopard that she could tell and show her parents with my Macbook Pro. Please keep on topic, I dont care about how expensive it is or your bad experiences. Sorry.

12. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Well, to be fair...

You never even mentioned Leopard in your OP and you only said MacBook Pro. If money is no object then have them go buy the damn thing! What is this thread for then? :confused:

13. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Lack of viruses/spyware is probably the biggest thing. But that won't even last forever, so your friend may as well experience that before that fact becomes a thing of the past.

14. hoangcong macrumors member

You are getting carried away...

My five cent:
    You buy a macbook because you know what you are going to do with it (or because you like the design), in the first case, if you have no friggin' clue of what is best in a mac vs windows I don't even know why you should bother buy one.

15. nayxn2nayxn macrumors member

don't you have a macbook pro? you should know then...tell her parents that its under 3k, gets a free ipod, and comes in a really nice box

i agree with the above posts...you buy a computer that fits your need, whether it be a pc or mac...it's common sense... you don't buy something just because it's the "thing" to have...that's just STUPID and a waste of money even if you have 3 billion dollars

16. billmister macrumors 6502

u do know that leopard and all that stuff u r mentioning also comes installed in a MacBook. I don't understand when people go to buy a 2000+ computer and don't know anything about it. Only that's it looks cool and silver. That annoys me. Tell her to work and after saving two thousand plus tax if she will use the powerfully graphics card or FireWire 800 etc. Let me take a wild guess, she is going to be using this for typing documents for school so she feels she needs a pro.

Look bro if ur her friend tell her to get something that will fit what she is going to use it for. If typing documents, emailing, listening to music, surfing the net us what she is going to be doing a MacBook will do that with ZERO PROBLEMS. And her parent will save $600+.

Not flaming or hating. Even if my parents had the money to she'll out 4000 I would ask them to buy me a mac pro (just and example) I would instead do research and find the best mac for my use now and future use.

Don't buy a macbook pro because u want to type your research paper on it. And don't buy a MacBook air to replace your desktop. Do research on what is best FOR YOU and for your use.

Good luck

17. MPHL thread starter macrumors regular

MPHL

Thank you for your imput. She actually wants the MacBook Pro for the 17'' screen and HD resolution as she needs it for photo/video editing (for school)

18. hoangcong macrumors member

17 inch is going to be a bit heavy + she'll have to use a bigger bag to carry it, 15inch with a external lcd for home use is going to be better on her shoulders.

Note: Photo/Video editing are 2D and doesn't require much (and i should say doesnt require nothing at all) from the graphic card so macbook should do the job perfectly.

19. milamber macrumors regular

Yeah, because correct me if I'm wrong but but CS3 doesn't yet utilise the GPU right?

20. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

$2000 is not cheap (even more if you want the 17"-.-). Maybe she could work out a deal with her parents where she pays half and they cover the rest? That might be a win-win situation.

Just keep in mind the only reasons to get a Pro over the baseline Macbook are...
    1.) screen (larger size and matte option)
    2.) dedicated graphics

A friend of mine has a black Macbook for professional graphics work and says that he loves that machine to death. Photoshop runs very well on a black Macbook, and unless you're getting very very serious about video editing and production, I wouldn't consider buying anything more than the 'Express' version of Final Cut.

For the most part, school clubs and classes (especially in colleges) have very decent hardware and equipment they let students use for media intensive purposes, so you might not even need to work entirely off of your own gear.

Just a couple things to consider.

21. billmister macrumors 6502

Wow man, well good luck with helping your friend. As said before, the BEST place to get all the info before taking the parents to the store is visit apple.com and you can compare computers and see what the benefits are. Like you said, price isn't a issue so there really isn't much convincing to do, just tell them what she wants and they will buy it.

Powerfull computer. Good Luck.

22. johngardiner macrumors regular

The Apple site is a great place to start, that's where I convinced myself to buy one haha. There are lots of movies on Leopard, the Macbook Pro, and different apps that you could have them watch. In terms of the Macbook Pro itself, the features I like most are:

Incredible screen
    Backlit keyboard
    Great battery life
    Beautiful design
    Incredibly fast and powerful
    And for some reason I love the slot loading drive (probably because all the other laptops I've had had a really flimsy drive and this one feels more solid)

If you have any more questions don't hesitate, despite a few people we are in fact here to help haha.

23. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

i look at it this way

if your parents are buying it for you, it's unlikely you're working, so therefore, ergo, you don't need a professional machine.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

After Effects and Premiere Pro can run in Open GL mode which will utilize the graphics card; better if the machine has a professional level quadro or otherwise.