Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Ah, so he’s struck a nerve. Yes, that seems like quite a believable response for our community. ;)

Indeed. What’s most telling is how half the people in this thread came to bash him. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen enthusiasts this embarrassingly embittered by one person.
Ah, so he’s struck a nerve. Yes, that seems like quite a believable response for our community. ;)

Indeed. What’s most telling is how half the people in this thread came to bash him. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen enthusiasts this embarrassingly embittered by one person.
it’s one thing to be wrong. It’s another to be wrong & be an arrogant tool while doing it.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I really don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over Jon Prosser, on a rumors site, no less.

I only care about what he leaks that pertains to Apple, not who or what he is.

I WANT to hear what he's got. And even then, I neither go to nor subscribe to his channel; I come here for the rumors/leaks.

Thus, I don't hear/see whatever it is that annoys people so much.

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Prosser's leak/rumor is right or wrong but take a deep look at Apple's new thinking. Make premium products at higher price point but also make a model for price sensitive customers( iPhone 11, 2020 SE, 2020 Macbook Air, etc). Isn't Apple said "All Inclusive"

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I broke my series 0 screen this year, went to order a replacement and saw the price... couldn’t justify it at all. If they make a se with the bigger screen for $399 (AUD) I’ll get it. For reference the current one is $699 AUD.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Who needs a watch which doesn’t sync with the phone 90% of the time and constantly overrides your music/podcast controls with some other nonsense... worst purchase I ever made. Good hardware, but as so often with Apple these days, the software is just beyond broken. Keep on selling new unreliable junk that’s never fixed, the new way!

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
This feels like there’s something to it.

Apple needs to offer something around $199 to compete with Fitbit etc and the AW3 design looks dated compared to Fitbit products around that price point.

With AW6 seemingly keeping the same design as the AW4, having a ‘premium’ plastic case will be a key way of distinguishing between the cheaper model and AW6 (I’m not down on it though - I may get the plastic one purely for workouts)

I really hope that the high end watch is not going to be called ‘Pro’ though.

Apple is run by people at the top of their game but honestly, the only products that they have that should be called pro are the more expensive MPB 13, the 16 and the Mac Pro.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple needs to offer something around $199 to compete with Fitbit etc and the AW3 design looks dated compared to Fitbit products around that price point.

Fitbit has imploded, and I doubt google has the design chops to do anything meaningful with said acquisition.

At this point, the only meaningful competition to the Apple Watch is an older Apple Watch model (ie: the latest Apple Watch model not being compelling enough to entice existing users to upgrade).

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
Fitbit has imploded, and I doubt google has the design chops to do anything meaningful with said acquisition.

At this point, the only meaningful competition to the Apple Watch is an older Apple Watch model (ie: the latest Apple Watch model not being compelling enough to entice existing users to upgrade).
Ok sure. Part of my point was that Apple is largely competing with itself.

And if the ‘Apple watch SE’ is going to have pretty much the same body as the 6 there surely needs to be be pretty clear feature and form differences.

A premium plastic casing would likely provide this.

Else a new series 4 with an aluminium body starting at $199 is still good enough for most people - Apple surely wants to push them up to the latest and greatest, if they can.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Ok sure. Part of my point was that Apple is largely competing with itself.

And if the ‘Apple watch SE’ is going to have pretty much the same body as the 6 there surely needs to be be pretty clear feature and form differences.

A premium plastic casing would likely provide this.

Else a new series 4 with an aluminium body starting at $199 is still good enough for most people - Apple surely wants to push them up to the latest and greatest, if they can.

I don’t think we are going to see “premium” and “plastic” in the same sentence.

The lesson taught by the iPhone 5c is that Apple customers want the best, or at least what was once the best. That’s why the iPhone 11 sold as well as it did, because it got most of the features of the latest generation of iPhones (A13, Face ID) and Apple marketed it the same way you would market any flagship.

Whatever features Apple does decide to strip out from this Apple Watch SE to hit a certain price point, I don’t think they are going to compromise on build quality. People don’t want a design that essentially broadcasts to the whole world that they are using a cheaper Apple Watch.

So it makes sense that Apple reuses the Apple Watch 4 form factor.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t think we are going to see “premium” and “plastic” in the same sentence.

The lesson taught by the iPhone 5c is that Apple customers want the best, or at least what was once the best. That’s why the iPhone 11 sold as well as it did, because it got most of the features of the latest generation of iPhones (A13, Face ID) and Apple marketed it the same way you would market any flagship.

Whatever features Apple does decide to strip out from this Apple Watch SE to hit a certain price point, I don’t think they are going to compromise on build quality. People don’t want a design that essentially broadcasts to the whole world that they are using a cheaper Apple Watch.

So it makes sense that Apple reuses the Apple Watch 4 form factor.

That’s a very good point & I concede & agree with you now - a relatively feature poor watch SE based on series 4 in aluminium does seem more likely.

I would contend though that there will be something about the Watch 6 that will make it stand out more from the ‘Watch SE’.

If you’re going to spend $200 more (at least) most people will want others to know that.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
That’s a very good point & I concede & agree with you now - a relatively feature poor watch SE based on series 4 in aluminium does seem more likely.

I would contend though that there will be something about the Watch 6 that will make it stand out more from the ‘Watch SE’.

If you’re going to spend $200 more (at least) most people will want others to know that.

Well, the always-on display is probably going to the most obvious way of distinguishing between the various Apple watches.

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
Feel free to explain.

(And keep in mind that the S series of chips refer to a package, not just to the SoC.)

The M9 is 5 years old, not efficient by today's standard (particularly for watches where efficiency is key). Also, M9 is not sensitive enough for precise motion tracking in a watch; it measured steps and stairs climbed quite roughly in the iPhone 6S. It's basically like re-using obsolete tech for a new watch.

Reactions: ersan191

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
Prosser's leak/rumor is right or wrong but take a deep look at Apple's new thinking. Make premium products at higher price point but also make a model for price sensitive customers( iPhone 11, 2020 SE, 2020 Macbook Air, etc). Isn't Apple said "All Inclusive"

I'm all in for Apple being all inclusive and making products accessible at all price points. But the problem is that Apple tries to keep recycling and stagnating ancient tech for years. Like they keep saying that they are so optimistic about the future of wearables and the watch, how it's the next big thing, and it's making huge jumps in innovation every year... blah blah blah.... but now they are going to basically re-use the S4, so it's a step backwards (even if you take into account the reduced price point).

If they want to take this all inclusive route, they should have:
- made the current S5 the new low-cost Apple Watch SE (like do NOT omit any previous features (ECG), while adding in relatively minor bumps (like always on display)), make a much bigger jump for the S6 than currently rumored (eg add more than just blood oxygen monitering). And definitely use the latest chips every year for longevity.

Just like how the iPad is currently going backwards. They are cutting laminated displays, making the unibody thicker, etc. Basically they should make the iPad Air 3 what has been iPad 5, brought the current iPad Pros to the Air line, and innovate much further in the Pro line.

I'm just pissed that apple tries to keep going backwards by omitting features introduced in the previous generations and simply shaving the price off. NOT ENOUGH INNOVATION COMING TO ALL PRODUCTS.

Reactions: SmugMaverick
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.