ProSwitcher

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ckong, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ckong macrumors regular

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't think it can be called vaporware when he's posted the source online for anyone to build and preview. Not finished by any means, but not vaporware.

I hope it will be able to play nicely with Kirikae.

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

It seems like this is more of a replacement for Kirikae, they won't work together.

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Got my hands on a leaked beta of ProSwitcher! It's way better then multifl0w and it's compatible with Kirikae!! My short hands on video is here

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Looks good so far. Can't wait for the release. Poor Multifl0w author...

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, indications are that it will work with Kirikae, unlike Multifl0w.

7. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

In that video I had both of them installed. Just forgot to open Kirikae as proof but they do work together!

8. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

Don't they basically do the same thing? What's the benifit of having both?

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Options? Sometimes it's just more convenient to have a task list.

10. The General macrumors 601

let's say i have music playing in the ipod app. when viewing the ipod card (for lack of a better word) in proswitcher, can i see the progess bar moving and the time moving as the song plays? or is it just a static screenshot of the last time the ipod app was open?

11. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

static. Liveviews may be implemented at some future date.

12. The General macrumors 601

k. useless until they have live views.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No it's not. Just because you want functionality it doesn't have doesn't mean the functionality it already has isn't useful. An intuitive way to manage and close tasks is a big advancement, whatever else it does or doesn't do.

14. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

15. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

If the only way to activate this is by having the icon on your screen, then this will be a no-go for me. Needs a home button click or something similar. (I wish mQuickDo had an option to open an app by swiping).

Either way, mQuickDo more than meets my needs. I also have Kirikae installed. I use either, depending on which is more convenient at the time, and whether or not I want to background the app I'm currently in. Apps like multiflow and now ProSwitcher are nice, but they aren't that necessary.

16. sshams95 macrumors member

Go to Settings-ProSwitcher-Activate...you have several methods to choose from on how to activate.

17. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Good to know. I haven't actually used the app yet, just judging by the pics/a few seconds of Van's video.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Trying out the public beta right now. This is everything that Multifl0w should have been. So far I'm loving it, and the memory management seems far superior to Multifl0w's. Animations are fairly smooth, switching is efficient. Swipe up to close is another great feature.

The default settings are a little strange, however: double-tap to switch to an open app is silly, and it does not come with a default setting to open ProSwitcher with a button. Understandably but somewhat annoyingly the app shows blank screenshots for native apps which have not yet been opened after a respring. The effect of this is mollified by another great feature: the apps' icons and names are given right under the screenshot, which can help to tell apps with lists like Address Book and Mail apart.

And, best of all, it works with Kirikae! Right now I have hold home button set for Kirikae and hold sleep button set for ProSwitcher. But I'm not sure that this won't be reversed soon as I come to rely more and more on ProSwitcher.

The poor author of Multifl0w! Nobody's going to buy his $5 alpha-quality software when ProSwitcher in its first beta is almost flawless...and free!

19. Nine9si macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Installed, great app.

20. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

Did you look through the "Activation Methods"? There are a bunch of different ways to open the app... Home button, sleep button, swipes, pinch, status bar, etc...

21. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

Please don't take this the wrong way, but how can you judge an app without even trying it first. ProSwitcher IMO is a brilliantly designed app. Plus it's free and open-source unlike mQuickDo.

22. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

He wasn't commenting on the quality of the app, he was just saying its feature set isn't something he was interested in. Which IMO is a valid thing to say about something even if one hasn't tried it.

23. ckong thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the Repo source link. I just installed it. Even in beta, this is an amazing piece of work.

For this project, you can find a wiki here and an issues forum here.

24. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Nice app. Thanks for sharing the info about it!

Can't wait to see it evolve.

25. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Amen to everything you said. The author of Multifl0w claims to have found a 'huge' memory leak but it will be a few days before there's a new release. :eek: Even though I paid for it, I've uninstalled it.