Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metal Dice

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Denmark
I have just preordered my iPhone 4S (Denmark), and I'm thinking about somehow protecting the camera from scratches and such. I have had some bad experience with scratched camera lenses, and since the iPhone 4s camera really isn't recessed I'm worried.

I considered mounting some sort of slidable piece of plastic to the back of the iPhone, but it is really going to hurt the aesthetics of the phone, i.e. it will look fugly. I also considered creating little pieces of plastic that would stick on the back of the phone covering the camera. However both solutions are far from convenient.

I was wondering whether any of you guys/girls have ideas on how to do this.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Just about any case or sleeve will leave the lens recessed to protect it.

if you want something minimal, look at the Case Mate Barely There. It does it for me without adding any bulk to the phone's size. Protects from scratches but not drops!:eek:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
How about not doing anything to cover it up? I had a launch-day 4 I used for 16 months without a case. The camera lens had hairline scratches that you could only see under direct lighting, but they didn't affect the picture quality at all. Compared it to a brand new 4 and the pictures taken looked exactly the same.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
How about not doing anything to cover it up? I had a launch-day 4 I used for 16 months without a case. The camera lens had hairline scratches that you could only see under direct lighting, but they didn't affect the picture quality at all. Compared it to a brand new 4 and the pictures taken looked exactly the same.

It's a phone not a family heirloom. Use it and don't worry about scratches.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It's a phone not a family heirloom. Use it and don't worry about scratches.

The op is not concerned about wear and tear on the phone. The op is concerned about the camera getting destroyed in the process.

I'm in the same boat as the op. I'll probably have to use a case .. Sigh.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I would like to visualize this concern.

Scratched iPhone 4 camera lens:
attachment.php

attachment.php

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13070630/

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Take it from me, it will scratch if you leave it exposed. Ruined 2 camera lenses on my iPhone 4's before I bumpers it

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Although this isn't really an ideal solution, but I've never scratched a camera lens on my phone because I don't place it on tables. Either on my bed or on top of my iPad (which has a case). Again, this might not be the solution you're looking for, but it works for me.

buddgeez

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2012
Although this isn't really an ideal solution, but I've never scratched a camera lens on my phone because I don't place it on tables. Either on my bed or on top of my iPad (which has a case). Again, this might not be the solution you're looking for, but it works for me.

You do realize you're replying to a nine month old post right?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I've had multiple iPhones without any kind of protection that I've damaged in a variety of creative ways over the years. The camera lens has always been fine on every single one of them, all the way to the end.

I honestly have no worries about my iPhone's camera lens.

I would like to visualize this concern.

Scratched iPhone 4 camera lens:

From what I've read and seen, that only happens with factory defects where the iPhone lens sticks out further than it should, past the metal ring. I've seen photos of phones like that, it does happen.

But what this means is that you can look at your phone the moment you get it and determine if it has this flaw or not. If it does, don't accept it. If it doesn't, I really think you'll be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.