Protective skin for the new 16 incher? Edit: now available!

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
I've got a 16 inch MacBook Pro coming soon and I'd like to keep some light protection on it in the form of a clear skin. I'm aware that DBrand has a skin available for preorder, but none of them are clear. Does anyone here know which company might be first to market with a clear skin for this laptop?

Edit: now available! https://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-pro-16-inch-2019

Last edited:
Reactions: cerberusss

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I always use slick wraps. They are great and have all colors/clear/etc in stock. I've had them on ALL of my MacBooks

Stephanietiner84

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Do you work for slickwraps?? Because I spent $80 and it took 4 weeks for me to receive a dingy dirty wrap that was way to big for my brand new MacBook Pro. For two weeks I’ve sent photos and order number with no response. I’ve filled out their online form and nothing. I called the 800 number on their website and guess what it’s been disconnected. I’m starting to think they just plant people to leave good reviews and on their fb page they deleted my review the second it was posted. What a scam!
- - Post merged: - -

I always use slick wraps. They are great and have all colors/clear/etc in stock. I've had them on ALL of my MacBooks
Do you work for slickwraps?? Because I spent $80 and it took 4 weeks for me to receive a dingy dirty wrap that was way to big for my brand new MacBook Pro. For two weeks I’ve sent photos and order number with no response. I’ve filled out their online form and nothing. I called the 800 number on their website and guess what it’s been disconnected. I’m starting to think they just plant people to leave good reviews and on their fb page they deleted my review the second it was posted. What a scam!

Reactions: Donnation

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico

Lol, I've only been on the forums for 15yrs...

I've literally used them for the past 4-5yrs with no issues at all. Maybe you ordered the wrong one?

hardax

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
New Hampshire

I have SlickWraps on all my Apple devices. Never an issue. As a matter of fact a Christmas gift got lost in the mail last year and when I told them about it they fedEx overnighted a replacement free of charge for me to make it for Christmas.

Reactions: wgr73

Tomb01

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Colleyville, TX
Planning to order a new 16" MBP in the next month and want to protect it, as I expect it to last me quite a while. Am currently using a late 2013 15", and the edge where my right wrist usually hits is getting a bit 'pitted'. My wife says it is because I sweat acid (sigh) but will investigate one of these wraps to try to prevent that... Do any of these wraps cover the 'edge' of the keyboard top? (see the pic of my strange edge pitting).

Attachments

mikedit

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2019
Canada
That looks like it might be caused by something rubbing against it, do you wear a watch or any other jewelry on right wrist?? Just a thought.

nudoru

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I've used both dbrand and Slickwraps on my 2018. They were the same for me and I'm pretty sure that it's the same 3m material. I got tired of it really quick so I'll just stick to a hard shell (iBlason) that I can over in stickers and take off when I want the "naked" computer.

Checksix2x

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
I've used both dbrand and Slickwraps on my 2018. They were the same for me and I'm pretty sure that it's the same 3m material. I got tired of it really quick so I'll just stick to a hard shell (iBlason) that I can over in stickers and take off when I want the "naked" computer.
Same here. I bought mine and received it today, a week before my laptop will arrive.

drtran83

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
Cuba, MO
I've always used Slickwraps but I hate their processing and ship times. I ordered my skins on Saturday and as of today it is still in processing.

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Are you one of the dbrand bots who went rogue because of a union strike?
A what? No. I don’t get the reference and I’ve already said I don’t equivocate this to the DBrand products because this is transparent/clear and DBrand is not.

I’m not a bot or advertisement, just a happy customer. I’ve used Best Skins Ever on all sorts of stuff for many years. I even used the material to protect a specific spot on my bass drum for one of my drum sets. The material is fantastic and the price is fair for both sides of the deal. I’ve only had good experiences with them, back to back, over and over, including full coverage for 4 (and now 5) MacBook Pros.

Reactions: jerryk

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
A what? No. I don’t get the reference and I’ve already said I don’t equivocate this to the DBrand products because this is transparent/clear and DBrand is not.

I’m not a bot or advertisement, just a happy customer. I’ve used Best Skins Ever on all sorts of stuff for many years. I even used the material to protect a specific spot on my bass drum for one of my drum sets. The material is fantastic and the price is fair for both sides of the deal. I’ve only had good experiences with them, back to back, over and over, including full coverage for 4 (and now 5) MacBook Pros.
Agree with the recommendation for BestSkinsEver. Very happy with their clear skin I have on my 2018 15" system. Ordered the one for my 16". I prefer matte over the shinny skin because it adds a bit of texture and makes the MBP less slippery.

Reactions: gplusplus

gplusplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2018
Agree with the recommendation for BestSkinsEver. Very happy with their clear skin I have on my 2018 15" system. Ordered the one for my 16". I prefer matte over the shinny skin because it adds a bit of texture and makes the MBP less slippery.
I also prefer the matte. It’s practically invisible!

But for the record, for anyone who may want the glossy version, the glossy film is not slippery. It’s actually very sticky, possibly even more sticky than the matte; it kind of depends on how much pressure you place on it. I installed it on one of my previous MacBook Pros, so I’m speaking from experience here. :)

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2014
I've used BestSkinsEver for years and they are a superior product to DBrand and SlickWraps in every way.

SlickWraps are a joke if you ask me. Terrible customer service and downright rude when I asked where my order that was placed over a month ago was. I was told it would be shipped when they got to it and that asking them isn't speeding up getting me the product. I literally asked one time and it took 6 weeks for a piece of garbage skin that wasn't even cut right. I tried to cancel the order after 5 weeks and they refursed. When I requested to return it they refused and said that it was cut right (it definitely was not) and that I was to blame for it not working right.

DBrand makes a decent product but to me it makes every device more slippery. I've put it on phones before but then taken it off because of how slick it makes the devices.

Bestskinsever are a superior product because they last, provide grip, and can be taken off and reused. With that being said they are a more difficult installation as its a wet install, and that can make people nervous especially if using it on a laptop. Their customer service is fantastic and they have always sent out an excellent product.

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
Can I ask you guys, do the clear skins provide protection from scratches? Is there any other reason to use one?

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Can I ask you guys, do the clear skins provide protection from scratches? Is there any other reason to use one?
They do provide protection from scratches. I use them because when I bought made a choice to buy a silver or SG Macbook Pro. And I want to see my MBP in that color.

Last edited:
Reactions: gplusplus