Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

King, the developer behind mega-hit Candy Crush Saga, was recently awarded a UK trademark on the term "candy" for use in video games and is awaiting approval on a similar trademark in the United States. With Apple in some cases assisting King in targeting apps with "candy" in their names, developers unhappy with King's IP strategy have responded with a protest that is seeking to flood the iOS App Store with candy-themed games, according to reports from Pocket-lint and Slate.

candy-crush-saga.jpg
Organized by the Candy Jam website, the group exhorts game developers to "fight trademark trolling" by making a candy-themed game between now and February 3. The game-making jam is meant to protest the trademark system and King's aggressive business tactics, and developers have already submitted more than 100 apps with different combinations of the words "candy," "saga," "scroll," "apple" and more.

King CEO and co-founder Riccardo Zacconi says the company is "not trying to control the world's use of the word candy," clarifying that King will only use the trademark "to prevent others from creating games that unfairly capitalise on our success." Zacconi also defends his company against allegations that it released a game, Pac-Avoid, that cloned an existing game from developer Stolen Goose. Zacconi explains the company "should never have published Pac-Avoid" and has apologetically pulled it from its website.

Article Link: Protestors Rally Against 'Candy Crush Saga' Developer with Deluge of Candy-Themed Games

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I guess I'll stick with the generic Sweet Solidified Glucose Crush Saga instead.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
By protesting it, don't you just give it undo attention and inadvertently cause more downloads? All press is good press?

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Well they tried to sue the makers of The Banner Saga, for use of the word 'saga', so you know they're being completely honest.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Reminds me of the fight for ownership of "Edge".

Starting a new venture must be such a minefield now, between the threat of copyright and patent infringement.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The trouble with his comments is that there are games with candy in the title that predate him. His trademark would basically make it illegal for those games to have a digital version because he controls Candy used with video games. So say 'candyland' now legally can't go digital without changing their name or some how successfully arguing that candy and candyland are not at all the same

I get his intent to keep folks from cloning his game or using similar names to confuse folks but how it was done was not correct or cool and I can't believe the UK allowed it. I hope the US doesn't or if they do someone immediately sues.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Of all games out there, Candy Crush is the one I hate the most. I even hate the people who play it. And I REALLY hate the people who play it on my train home from work with their sound at 100%.

roboclint

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
'King CEO and co-founder Riccardo Zacconi says the company is "not trying to control the world's use of the word candy," clarifying that King will only use the trademark "to prevent others from creating games that unfairly capitalise on our success."'

Like Bejeweled?

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
By protesting it, don't you just give it undo attention and inadvertently cause more downloads? All press is good press?

It's a pretty well known game as it stands; I don't think they really need much more publicity. I do think companies reach a point/size where "any publicity is good publicity" is no longer strictly true, and they need to keep a positive public facade.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Cloning and copying is inevitable. Everything has an era and King is trying to delay their destruction. Candy Crush's hype will eventually die down.
If Apple is fine with all the other clones, such as Temple Run's many variations, they shouldn't be protecting King. All CC is, is Bejeweled with candy instead of gems.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
This is like Zynga trademarking "Ville"

These can trademark all they want, they're still not gonna be able to duplicate their initial success. Nobody cares about a brand when it comes to these freemium games

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Protesters? More like whiny, self-righteous kids who have way too much time on their hands or terrible app makers trying to get fifteen minutes of fame by duping people into thinking their app is the real one.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Well the US gov worships corporations so they should have no trouble getting that trademarked in the US.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Cloning and copying is inevitable. Everything has an era and King is trying to delay their destruction. Candy Crush's hype will eventually die down.
If Apple is fine with all the other clones, such as Temple Run's many variations, they shouldn't be protecting King. All CC is, is Bejeweled with candy instead of gems.

So if Samsung stated your first paragraph and substituted 'Apple and Cook' for 'Candy Crush and King' would you feel the same way?.....just sayin'

Not saying you're right or wrong...but I see a lot hypocrisy on this board....

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I wasn't even aware this game or company existed until I read this news report.

However, if they are trolling the marketplace like Zynga does with the '...with friends' and as Liquorpuki pointed out the '...ville' trademarks - then more power to the candy jammers.

Last edited:

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Bewaunce and Zay-J copyrighted their kid's name 'Blu-Ivy' or something like that, oh boy, what's next? :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.