Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The problem, or maybe it's not a problem, is that TOR was broken by the government a few years ago. No one is sure that it has been patched well enough. I'd also read articles saying that there is a 'back door' in a component library of TOR and that the government knows about it, along with China and Russia I'm sure, and it isn't well known enough to be fixed.

I don't have anything to hide, per say, but like under the COINTELPRO program of the Vietnam years, etc, you didn't need to be doing anything 'naughty', the government just made stuff up, and pinned it on you. THAT was why the CIA was put on a leash. It appears that they have either slipped the leash, or Trump will come up with his own spy v spy troopers...

Reactions: JackANSI

TomaxXamot

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So you'd rather have a dear leader that is corrupt, lying, deceiving, murdering by drones (including US citizens without a trial), surveillance state expanding, cold war reigniting, race baiting, clueless about economics, never had a real job nor business before politics, and whistle-blower prosecuting as long as he is smooth talking and sweet jiving? Oh the letter D after names erases all the faults, right?

"Sweet jiving"? Ok I think I get where your anti-Obama-ness is coming from.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
1) Couldn't you login into ProtonMail using Tor browser already? what am I missing here?

2) Honestly, although I use them, I don't believe Gov. can't crack or access these encrypted VPN or Tor services. Maybe it just makes MASS surveillance more difficult.

3)People who think protonmail and encryption make it easier for terrorist, a terrorist group can communicate in multiple ways encrypted or not. Don't forget snail mail still exists, and who is going to read all the letters? You can communicate through stuff like Playstation voice chat, or servers like Usenet thats not even on the web. You can be very creative. How about IRC channels? Or the good old method of a book and just send pages numbers, paragraphs, sentences and letters. 129-3-5-2= page 129, 3rd paragraph, 5th sentence, second letter. Which book that is, that you will never know and a scanning computer will think its an excel sheet entry: 129352

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
3)People who think protonmail and encryption make it easier for terrorist, a terrorist group can communicate in multiple ways encrypted or not.

Looking at the terrorist attacks that happened in France, they were organised by plain code text message.

And to be fair, anyone who really values their privacy can just message using GPG keys, no?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Save a thought for folks living under the panoptic control of authoritarian regimes that routinely shut down any channel that enables "dissent".

Coming to a country near you.

Coming to a country near you...? Are you living in Canada or Mexico? :D

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
So we've got Protonmail, Signal, and Runbox listed here as options.

I'm done with googles zero-privacy policy. Guess I'll need a new Apple ID. ...why Apple has an email service, but you can't use an apple-hosted email address they issue you as your Apple ID is a little... odd.

Reactions: MacBH928
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.