iPad mini Proud new owner of an iPad!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Irock619, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Going on a road trip tomorrow with my family and decided to purchase an iPad mini retina. I haven't done the unboxing yet and i'm wondering what people recommend for iPads as for apps, settings, and multiple users. I know the iPad is not capable of multiple profile settings, unless JB of course. Are there any settings that people recommend not having on to save battery life? Any known issues with the iPad mini? I can't wait to get this set up tonight!

2. rsquirrel macrumors member

Congrats, I also just unboxed my iPad mini. It only sat unopened for 11 days.

I waited until the screen protectors arrived. Now I'm still waiting for the case to arrive.

I got a few tips on my thread, but I will be keeping an eye on yours for some more.

3. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Cool! Yeah I forgot to get a screen protector but I did purchase a case.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

My advice for you, don't let your big family fight over rMini...it will break before you start your trip. :apple:

5. rsquirrel macrumors member

I added Kobo and Kindle for reading. Facebook and Find iPhone.

I also added some of the games that I had on my android. Not sure if I use the same log in information if it will just pick up where I left off or not. Kind of hope it continues from where I am on the android.

That's all I have done so far on mine.

6. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

First thing, jailbreak. Lol

Then tapatalk for obvious reasons

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

you really waited 11 days to use your tablet? I mean, the screen is pretty hard to scratch.

8. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

9. rsquirrel macrumors member

Yes I did. I also got $20 back plus tax as it dropped in price during those 11 days!

I finally opened it today to add the screen protector that arrived.

10. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

Having used iPhones since 2010 and iPads since 2011, I can assure you the screen is highly resistant to scratches, and it is almost impossible to scratch the screen if you are a little careful with it, like in the case of iPhone not putting it in a pocket with coins, keys etc.

I can't even think of a way to scratch the glass on the iPad. Still, if you feel protector gives you peace of mine, use it and congrats on the purchase, it's a beautiful device.

11. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Yup, I agree with this. Further, I'm not really that delicate with my iDevices. No screen protectors here, no scratches either..

12. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

The only reason I might put one on is because it'll be in the hands of a 5 year old lol.

13. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Congrats! :)

1st thing in terms of battery saving is going to Settings -Privacy -Location Services, adjust which apps should and shouldn't access your location, I'd say unmarked of them really.

In terms of apps:
    Polaris Office (great office suite)
    Bloomberg/Bloomberg TV+
    CNN

Your favorite Magazines and Newspapers in AppStore for NewsStand

Google Chrome
    Google Maps
    GMail
    Facebook
    LinkedIn
    Twitter

You will also have to find a Calculator app, if you use that often.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I'm pretty clumsy, and it makes me nervous every time my nails scrape the screen, or some little particle of dirt gets on the screen or something. I know the screen is scratch resistant, but it's not scratch proof. So I put on a screen protector, and if the protector ever gets too dirty or scratched up, I can take it off and put on another one. And things do happen -- the other day, I had my iPad open on my desk, I dropped my keys, and they landed on top of my iPad screen. Incidents like that makes me glad to have screen protectors.

15. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

your nail won't scratch your screen, and neither will keys. they WILL scratch your screen protector though, so enjoy that.

16. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Do you really need to worry about battery on an iPad though? I understand the phone but i have never experienced that much of a difference on iPad with adjusting stuff. Battery is amazing on any IPad;)

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Like I said, when my screen protector gets scratched, all I have to do is take it off and put on a new one. Not so easy to replace the glass if it does get scratched. Which I know doesn't happen often, but I don't think you can say it will NEVER happen.

18. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

If it gives you peace of mind, it is worth it :)

19. Irock619 thread starter macrumors 68000

Irock619

Thanks for the suggestions. Also where is the weather app? I thought Apple provided a generic weather app like on the iPhone.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

I don't think there is a stock weather app for the iPad. It doesn't matter as it doesn't get any better than the "Yahoo Weather" app.

21. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I can't even wait for a second to open something I just bought, especially with Apple products haha.

22. rsquirrel macrumors member

So far I'm loving it compared to the HP Slate. Even though you can't save to a micro SD card like most android tablets, everything seems to back up to iCloud. Is there a limit to how much space I have on iCloud?

I only know that it's backed up there because I tried to continue on in a few games I was playing on the Slate and because I hadn't signed in using Facebook on the Slate, it didn't save my place. Removing the game on the ipad and then re-installing just gets it to re-install from iCloud so my spot on the Slate won't transfer over to the ipad mini.

23. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I also agree with no screen protector. They make the screen a bit less responsive to using a stylus for handwriting or art. I'm not gentle with mine either and have never gotten any kind of scratch.

24. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

that's crazy, haha. props to u

25. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i couldn't wait 11 seconds when i got mine.