Proving aiport cart worked 2 days ago?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AzaraT, Sep 7, 2011.

1. AzaraT macrumors newbie

Hi,

Because I have some power issues with my laptop I bought it down to a shop (its way beyond warenty and no apple care etc), to get it checked out, which is all fine.

However when I got it back the computer no longer recognize the Airport Card. And even though they said they would take a look at it, I want to be able to prove that the airport card worked just before I took it to them. How can I do that?

I've looked in the log but those seems to only be for the current day, not sure how I show logs from previous days?

If anyone have any idea how I can give some proof that the airport card did indeed work before, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why does it even matter if it worked before? If it's not working now something is wrong. Since it's out of warranty you're likely going to have to pay to get it fixed anyways.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It was working before it went into the shop to get some work done and now it doesn't.

If the OP can prove that then the shop can't turn around and say it was like that when it came in and then the onus is on them to fix what they broke, negating the cost for the OP.

4. AzaraT thread starter macrumors newbie

These are the facts: Before I get it to the shop it worked perfectly fine, after I got it back it didn't work. This makes me conclude that while they worked on my computer, they've done something to make the airport card not work / not recognizable. I'm sure not going to pay for something they broke in my computer.

@xUKHCx exactly :)

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh right, for some reason I forgot that this was after another shop repair. Reading fail.

You could probably just look in the preferred wireless networks. Assuming you had ever remembered a wireless network before, this implies the airport card was working.

6. AzaraT thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, but those networks could have saved for over a year. Is there no network logs or anything? Maybe in some log that I can find the MAC address of the airport card (cuz then I can prove it worked by my router logs).

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The MAC address of your machine's airport card is probably somewhere in the "About This Mac" application.

8. AzaraT thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm under locations I found this:
    Airport
    IEEE80211:
    MAC Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

You think that's it? If it is, it seems the events my router have logged is not from my laptop anyway (it seems to only log errors -.- )

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Use Console to view "All Messages", then use keywords "kernel" and "airport" and you should find what you're looking for. If the log doesn't go back in time far enough, use the "prev" button at the lower right corner.

10. AzaraT, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

AzaraT thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks!

What I can find is this:
    9/5/11 12:37:40 kernel AirPort_AthrFusion21: Ethernet address 00:1e:52:70:d0:e4

9/5/11 12:37:40 kernel AirPort: Link Down on en1. Reason 1 (Unspecified).

9/5/11 12:38:05 kernel AirPort: Link Up on en1

9/5/11 12:38:07 kernel AirPort: RSN handshake complete on en1

would you say that's proof that it worked? the "Ethernet address" does seem to be the MAC address of my Airport card that I found in "about this mac" -> Loations -> Airport.

Im not sure why it says Ethernet address though.

Edit: I also found this one from today:
    9/7/11 11:01:53 Apple80211 framework[753] airportd MIG failed (PowerEnable Event) = 5 (Input/output error) (port = 31239)... Does that mean that I cannot power the airport board?

11. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's just the convention since airport is used often as a bridge between medium. So they use en0, en1, etc.

Looks like that log entry should be sufficient. And, as you say the MAC seems to match your card's. Good luck - it's probably something simple.

12. AzaraT thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your help all! :)

And yes I think it's something simple to and they already agree to look at it, but this is just for safety :)

They did have a look at the left I/O board and it seems like you need to take the airport card out to do that, at least that's what i ifixit guide says, so hopefully it just haven't been connected probably.