Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
A post that insults non-forum members may of course be considered trolling depending on its context.
So basically every post in the PRSI forum. If we went by those rules every last person who posted in there would be banned.

[MOD NOTE]
Since the PRSI discussion in the thread Forum Rules was off topic and derailed the OP's topic, I moved the side conversation to a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
That would fix the dumpster fire known as the PRSI. I've said this many times, I don't see the need for a political forum at a technology fan sight.
While I enjoy the back and forth in there quite a bit, I have to agree and have long wondered why anyone here would want to maintain such a forum when the moderation model here is so strict. Not that it's good or bad, it's just the way this site is managed. My guess is the mods/reported posts forum is flooded with reports on a regular basis and managing it would be a huge headache.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
So basically every post in the PRSI forum. If we went by those rules every last person who posted in there would be banned.
Yeah, the "of course" (as in "obviously") in @stridemat's post doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you've ever been in the PRSI forum.

Also, just for further clarification, it appears to be totally okay to insult entire groups of people (political parties, religious groups), as long as you aren't speaking about any particular one of their members by name who happens to be a member here.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That would fix the dumpster fire known as the PRSI. I've said this many times, I don't see the need for a political forum at a technology fan sight.

And I beg to differ because the tech world, just like the sports world, does not exist - and cannot pretend to exist - in isolation from the real world where political and economic decisions (on the part of tech companies, governments and individuals) have an effect on the tech world.

To my mind, Apple's tax stances and outsourced labour policies are as important a topic and well worth exploring as the latest tech advance or innovation that Apple, or some other company, develops.

Moreover, decisions and inventions of the tech world are transforming our lives in ways not yet fully understood and it would be remiss on the part of governments and supranational bodies not to take steps to deal with this, and to ignore this feature of the discussion runs the risk of missing the bigger picture.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
in isolation from the real world where political and economic decisions (on the part of tech companies, governments and individuals) have an effect on the tech world.
True, but what you describe is the exception and not the norm. We certainly can find a solution to deal with the handful of times that a news story about apple enters into the political or social issue realm without maintaining a PRSI forum.

If that's the only reason to have a PRSI forum in a tech fan site, then imo, that reason is tenuious at best, as the site owner could certainly set something up to account for news stories related to apple that are PRSI in nature.

For example, have a special news forum that is strictly for PRSI, like our normal news forum, members cannot create threads
Another option is to permit PRSI content in news threads that are policital in nature.

Both options permit discussions but without the need of the PRSI forum that serves no purpose, other then contributing to hate and yelling at each other.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
True, but what you describe is the exception and not the norm. We certainly can find a solution to deal with the handful of times that a news story about apple enters into the political or social issue realm without maintaining a PRSI forum.

If that's the only reason to have a PRSI forum in a tech fan site, then imo, that reason is tenuious at best, as the site owner could certainly set something up to account for news stories related to apple that are PRSI in nature.

For example, have a special news forum that is strictly for PRSI, like our normal news forum, members cannot create threads
Another option is to permit PRSI content in news threads that are policital in nature.

Both options permit discussions but without the need of the PRSI forum that serves no purpose, other then contributing to hate and yelling at each other.

Again, I beg to differ.

The hate is a reflection of the polarised society it describes, not a consequence of the forum allowing a space to discuss political and social matters. And the form that society has taken is the result of political, social, cultural, and economic choices - both informed and uninformed - that have led to it following a certain course of development.

But, my argument is that politics - and political matters - cannot be divorced from discussions on tech, or from discussion on anything else; politics, political choices - especially in a democracy, where voters exercise choice - and choices about power, influence and preferences all have an effect on all manner and means of what happens in a society.

Moreover, an informed citizenry is necessary in a healthy and functioning democracy - and that means allowing fora where youngsters tend to be found (e.g, tech ones) to discuss political matters and perhaps school themselves in discussions, debates, expressing themselves by way of making an argument, and learning the valuable lesson that people can hold different views from you without being considered an existential threat to your world.

In a functioning democracy, tolerance of difference and dissenting opinions is a fundamental core value, and - while I may deplore the vehemence with which opinions are sometimes expressed here - I think allowing debates on political matters in such a forum is a valuable service to and for youngsters.

Last edited:

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008

Yup hid that forum about a year ago. Like a bunch of yintas arguing over soap operas.
[doublepost=1518707311][/doublepost]
I take exception to this... I am not fat! :D

About time you came clean.

So his mom still has to make him shower on sundays whether he wants to or not.

The image of the moderators is becoming all too clear

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Again, I beg to differ.

The hate is a reflection of the polarised society it describes, not a consequence of the forum allowing a space to discuss political and social matters. And the from that society has taken is the result of political, social, cultural, and economic choices - both informed and uninformed - that have led to it following a certain course of development.

But, my argument is that politics - and political matters - cannot be divorced from discussions on tech, or from discussion on anything else; politics, political choices - especially in a democracy, where voters exercise choice - and choices about power, influence and have an effect on all manner and means of what happens in a society.

Moreover, an informed citizenry is necessary in a healthy and functioning democracy - and that means allowing fora where youngsters tend to be found (e.g, tech ones) to discuss political matters and perhaps school themselves in discussions, debates, expressing themselves by way of making an argument, and learning the valuable lesson that people can hold different views from you without being considered an existential threat to your world.

In a functioning democracy, tolerance of difference and dissenting opinions is a fundamental core value, and - while I may deplore the vehemence with which opinions are sometimes expressed here - I think allowing debates on political matters in such a forum is a valuable service to and for youngsters.
That's all well and good, but why do threads like Trump, his payment to a film star, religion, and Russia belong on a tech forum? I understand that tech is in a society influenced by political and economic factors. Your argument seems to be that it more aligns to what you wish to discuss. I'm sure there are political forums that better meet this need.

I don't see it as a valuable service to anyone, especially youngsters. It's an attack-fest and, in my opinion, simply enforces divisiveness.

I like @maflynn's idea of only putting news articles in there that may be politically associated. Dump the remaining threads into the wasteland.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The few times I've gotten involved in PRSI, I've either had my posts removed or the person I was talking to got suspended. Made me feel horrible as I'd rather not be the focus of moderators removing posts. When I first got involved in PRSI I thought it was an unmoderated place hence why it doesn't go to post count. Now I try to avoid it because I know even if the person I'm talking to and I would have a laugh and a beer together afterwards, one of us always seems to get suspended - and that makes me feel terrible.

But thanks for this thread - gives me more information on what not to do. I will continue the policy of avoiding PRSI for my own sake. I just wish there was a way to keep it from showing in the latest threads cuz I keep getting pulled there. lol.

Seems to me that to save mod time, just have an unregulated section where a disclaimer clearly says: unregulated, won't count on post count, or show in recent replies, etc... vs spending time moderating it.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It’s one of the reasons I come to this site daily. In fact this is the only forum I’m a member of. Obviously I’ve crossed the line a few times recently (I’m making a concerted effort to be better about it) but all in all I find PRSI to be a great place.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It’s one of the reasons I come to this site daily. In fact this is the only forum I’m a member of. Obviously I’ve crossed the line a few times recently (I’m making a concerted effort to be better about it) but all in all I find PRSI to be a great place.

I enjoy reading but I haven't had the luck of participating without suspensions being involved. I do enjoy reading a lot of you guys/gals posting there. Maybe third time's a charm (for me)? :p

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I still find it difficult to understand why people who's main interest is politics come to a tech site for their daily fix. :confused:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I still find it difficult to understand why people who's main interest is politics come to a tech site for their daily fix. :confused:
Because this site offers it all. I spend most of my time here hitting “new posts” and jumping into any thread that seems interesting, political or otherwise. Also, while we may yell at each other constantly in PRSI, it’s the ONE place I’ve found online that doesn’t firmly fall under groupthink, we get voices all across the spectrum. I can’t say that for any other political forum I’ve ever seen.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I came to this site for advice on an Apple computer I had purchased; I stayed for different reasons.

@NT1440's thoughtful post below, gives an excellent explanation for this.

Because this site offers it all. I spend most of my time here hitting “new posts” and jumping into any thread that seems interesting, political or otherwise. Also, while we may yell at each other constantly in PRSI, it’s the ONE place I’ve found online that doesn’t firmly fall under groupthink, we get voices all across the spectrum. I can’t say that for any other political forum I’ve ever seen.

Exactly.

One of the reasons - there are a number of reasons I drop in daily - but, one of the reasons I continue to come here is to find out what right wing Americans think and why they hold the views they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.