Pryme Vessyl is a Smart Cup That Monitors Your Water Consumption

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mark One, the company that's currently working on the Vessyl smart cup that can measure the nutritional content of any liquid, today launched an interim product that's designed to track how much water a person drinks in a day.

The Pryme Vessyl is a smart cup that measures all of the water that a person drinks during the day, using the data collected with a proprietary hydration algorithm that lets users know if their hydration needs are being met. It uses decades of research on hydration to determine an optimal or "Pryme" hydration level for every person based on factors like age, weight, sex, and activity level. The data collected by the Pryme Vessyl is compatible with the Jawbone UP and Apple's own Health app.

Many of us still follow the 8 cups per day, one-size-fits-all approach to water consumption, but everyone's hydration needs are unique--fluctuating day-by-day, and even hour-by-hour. Pryme captures a variety of factors such as height, age, weight and sex, as well as changing variables like sleep and exercise, to help you understand your personal hydration needs.
Design wise, Pryme Vessyl is a 16-ounce cup that has a glass interior with a soft-touch white exterior and a nickel-plated bottom. It includes a spill-resistant lid that can be flipped back with a thumb, and the Pryme Vessyl team tells MacRumors that it's both highly durable and reliable.

There are sensors built into the cup to detect each time a person takes a sip. In addition to water, it can hold any hot or cold beverage, so it can be used with other liquids like tea or juice. Though it's safe to use with hot liquids, the electronics inside prevent it from being dishwasher safe.

A blue line on the side of the cup, activated with a tilt, lets users keep an eye on their hydration levels throughout the day to make sure they're getting enough water. Pryme Vessyl uses inductive charging and attaches to an included base, so it's simple to charge. Its built-in battery is able to last for up to five days per charge.

Pryme Vessyl can be purchased from the Vessyl website for $99 and it's also available online at Apple.com and from select Apple retail stores in the United States and Canada.

All customers who previously pre-ordered the Vessyl will receive a Pryme Vessyl for free. The Vessyl remains in development with no prospective launch date as the Mark One team works to transition from prototype to production while maintaining accuracy.

Article Link: Pryme Vessyl is a Smart Cup That Monitors Your Water Consumption

dannys1

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I like it. I'm tempted to get one. Would be nice if the data could integrate with HomeKit and SmartThings.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I have been working on a device to measure my water intake too! It's called a Bottle. To be more specific, a two liter transparent plastic bottle. Thanks to recent software update it is easy to read my hydration level. Unfortunately it does not adapt to gender or age automatically (BottleOS 2 coming soon) so you have to google your ideal daily water intake and... gasp... remember it. Once you completed that step, Bottle will help you stay hydrated no matter what.

I am going to introduce Bottle on Kickstarter soon, you should expect the price to be approx $89.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
I have been working on a device to measure my water intake too! It's called a Bottle. To be more specific, a two liter transparent plastic bottle. Thanks to recent software update it is easy to read my hydration level. Unfortunately it does not adapt to gender or age automatically (BottleOS 2 coming soon) so you have to google your ideal daily water intake and... gasp... remember it. Once you completed that step, Bottle will help you stay hydrated no matter what.

I am going to introduce Bottle on Kickstarter soon, you should expect the price to be approx $89.
<listens as a normal person reads it>
No way man, not worth it.

<listens as Jony Ive reads it>
<looks star struck> Take everything!!!!

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
I know there are millions of people throughout the world without access to clean water, but I think it's very important that I keep track of my own water consumption automatically. While it will be a bit inconvenient to drink water only from this expensive networked vessel, I think it's worth it to make sure I'm tracking my water consumption as accurately as possible. I could probably donate that $100 to an aid organization focused on water rights, but to me, this is much more important.

And I know what you're saying -- yes, the raw materials, manufacturing, shipping and marketing of devices like this come at an environmental cost, but I think it's well worth it, don't you?

Last edited:

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Dear oh dear.

Water intake: the neurosis of our day. It's all very silly.

We absorb lots of water in food, not to mention hot drinks and alcohol. It is therefore impossible to regulate your water intake with any accuracy. Also, everyone has different rates of water retention and dehydration. There are also many factors affecting water requirements including but not limited to temperature, wind speed, humidity, body temperature, digestion, thyroid glands, activity levels, food intake and constitution.

mac1984user

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
United Kingdom
I've got a strategy, and I hope it works. I'm slightly apprehensive, because it's not something anyone has come forward and admitted to doing, so hopefully I'm not endangering myself here. Basically, the plan involves drinking when I'm thirsty and, throughout the day, identifying subsequent moments in which I desire hydration. I follow through by consuming more liquid and repeating as necessary. Goodness, I'm nervous even mentioning it outloud.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Random, technology overkill is always fun for its own sake.

But seriously, if you're buying an electrified, internet-connected water cup, something has gone seriously wrong with your life. Unless it is some kind of Christmas decorative novelty thing with flashing LEDs and a picture of a reindeer, there is no reason a cup should need batteries.

Also, I'm 99% certain that looking at the color of your pee when you go to the bathroom is a much more accurate indicator of adequate hydration than this cup could ever hope to be, since it will automatically take into account your specific body size, type, specific metabolism, absorbed water, loss due to perspiration, and all of the other factors that would be impossible to measure accurately without a substantial number of expensive medical tests.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Also: Pryme Vessyl? Maybe they could use some of that Kickstarter funding to buy some vowels.

I thought the y-overuse thing ran its course years ago, not that long after it replaced the ck overuse thing. Maybe they should go full retro and call it the Magick Vessyl?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
If it weren't so expensive, I would buy one for my wife this christmas as a gag gift. The thought of my super non-techy wife getting alerts on her phone to drink water throughout the day makes me laugh. I would give it maybe 2 days before she throws it at me and tells me to shut the blasted thing off.

:p:D:cool:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I've got a strategy, and I hope it works. I'm slightly apprehensive, because it's not something anyone has come forward and admitted to doing, so hopefully I'm not endangering myself here. Basically, the plan involves drinking when I'm thirsty and, throughout the day, identifying subsequent moments in which I desire hydration. I follow through by consuming more liquid and repeating as necessary. Goodness, I'm nervous even mentioning it outloud.
No, you can't rely on your body, are you serious? You need a technological solution and a progress bar to look at.

nikicampos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
A $100 dollars for a bottle with batteries that you have to take everywhere, no thanks.

Every body is different, but as long as you are drinking 2-3 litters of water a day you are fine, no need for a $100 glass, just have a 1 litter pitcher at the office and other 1 litter pitcher at the house, at the end of the day make sure you drank all of it, plus any extra water you drink else where and you are fine.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
its vaporware. they've been hinting at the Vessyl for a year and a half that was supposed to do a ton more features, nobody's seen the thing in ages and they have repeatedly missed their ship dates. then when their supporters were seriously close to raising hell, they announce this product instead, a kinda sorta half-attempt at their original promised product, while at the same time copping a "yeah, sorry, we're not sure when it will ship now" line of excuses. im curious to know if anyone actually has it in stock or if its just more vaporware as they missed their original ship date for this thing too. also - they (supposedly) put this in stores, completely bypassing their early supporters, unless you locked in your order to non-refundable for the original vessyl, something people are becoming increasingly uncertain is actually possible given the lack of concrete progress from this company.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.