Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
It's a sad day for us as a species when we lose our ability sense when we need to drink water.

There is a claim a while back that is now repeated by many company that try to sell you bottled water. It stated the amount of water one needs for a day. Well, I recently read an article that debunked that claim. This article referred to a study that measure salinity level in people's urine around the world. It turned out that most people are not dehydrated, contrary to what the study let you to believe (that most of us are dehydrated).

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Just when you think you saw it all.

This is a complete waste of money and very overpriced. It does not offer any spill/spit calculations. How many times do you accidentally knock over a bottle of water that's opened, or spill some while sipping, or spit it out because something didn't taste right. Is there a manual entry on the cup if you forget to use it and go with a regular cup?

Are they making a compatible urine toilet? You know, to measure the input (water) and output (urine) and calculate the effectiveness and what not of your drinking.

The smarter we make technology, the dumber the human race becomes.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

mrmiagi

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2006
This works too

water-bomb.jpg

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Also: Pryme Vessyl? Maybe they could use some of that Kickstarter funding to buy some vowels.

I thought the y-overuse thing ran its course years ago, not that long after it replaced the ck overuse thing. Maybe they should go full retro and call it the Magick Vessyl?

Hey, be grateful they didn't stick a lower case "i" in front of the name

matthewsalibi

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
I am such a sucker for a gadget that I pre-ordered a Vessyl back in Aug 2014. At that time, they claimed they would be shipping in "early 2015."

After many, many delays, they came out with this interim product, and offered one for free to anyone who would give up their right to a refund on the Vessyl-- which customers had paid for over a year earlier, and which at this point still has no release date.

I asked for my refund instead-- that was on Oct 27. I got no response at all until 11/3, when I was told "Due to the high level of transactions we're handling right now, it may take up to 30 business days for the refund to process and update in your account. "

True to that timeline, two weeks later, still no sign of the refund. They've been happy to keep my money for more than a year, but they sure aren't quick to return it after delaying the release date time and again.

I would advise MacRumors readers to stay far away from this company: I don't believe they have the tech they claim.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
That's what I don't understand- they demonstrated a cup a long time ago that would sense just about any liquid, and it seemed to work well in their demonstrations, like the main functionality was already there and worked. And we just keep hearing about how the experience isn't what they want yet, that they need to test more and refine. So which is it? It appears there is some problem with the tech that they are having a difficult time overcoming.

Reactions: matthewsalibi

matthewsalibi

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2015
Agreed. Really weird! I mean, I will admit this is a silly device, but I like silly devices that provide interesting data visualizations. Vessyl was getting written about last year by tech journalists who held the thing in their hand and said it did what they claimed. What happened between then and now?

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
We seem to be moving towards Idiocracy a lot faster than I expected. I'll know for sure when I see law degree classes at Starbucks and enter a hospital and have to push the button with the picture of what ailment I have. But we're not far off- I can totally see those things happening.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa

Mark One, the company that's currently working on the Vessyl smart cup that can measure the nutritional content of any liquid, today launched an interim product that's designed to track how much water a person drinks in a day.

The Pryme Vessyl is a smart cup that measures all of the water that a person drinks during the day, using the data collected with a proprietary hydration algorithm that lets users know if their hydration needs are being met. It uses decades of research on hydration to determine an optimal or "Pryme" hydration level for every person based on factors like age, weight, sex, and activity level. The data collected by the Pryme Vessyl is compatible with the Jawbone UP and Apple's own Health app.

prymevessyl.jpg
Design wise, Pryme Vessyl is a 16-ounce cup that has a glass interior with a soft-touch white exterior and a nickel-plated bottom. It includes a spill-resistant lid that can be flipped back with a thumb, and the Pryme Vessyl team tells MacRumors that it's both highly durable and reliable.

There are sensors built into the cup to detect each time a person takes a sip. In addition to water, it can hold any hot or cold beverage, so it can be used with other liquids like tea or juice. Though it's safe to use with hot liquids, the electronics inside prevent it from being dishwasher safe.

prymevessylhydrationline.jpg

A blue line on the side of the cup, activated with a tilt, lets users keep an eye on their hydration levels throughout the day to make sure they're getting enough water. Pryme Vessyl uses inductive charging and attaches to an included base, so it's simple to charge. Its built-in battery is able to last for up to five days per charge.

Pryme Vessyl can be purchased from the Vessyl website for $99 and it's also available online at Apple.com and from select Apple retail stores in the United States and Canada.

All customers who previously pre-ordered the Vessyl will receive a Pryme Vessyl for free. The Vessyl remains in development with no prospective launch date as the Mark One team works to transition from prototype to production while maintaining accuracy.

Article Link: Pryme Vessyl is a Smart Cup That Monitors Your Water Consumption
They came up with this one as they could not deliver the one they hooked every one on , and their limited qty to boot , go figure ??

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Mark One, the company that's currently working on the Vessyl smart cup that can measure the nutritional content of any liquid, today launched an interim product that's designed to track how much water a person drinks in a day.

All customers who previously pre-ordered the Vessyl will receive a Pryme Vessyl for free. The Vessyl remains in development with no prospective launch date as the Mark One team works to transition from prototype to production while maintaining accuracy.

Article Link: Pryme Vessyl is a Smart Cup That Monitors Your Water Consumption

Also of note, the Vessyl has been delayed indefinitely. It was supposed to come out early this year. When that deadline came, they moved to "Q4 2015." Now it's completely up in the air.

I have a feeling that they're going to ship the "Pryme Vessyl" to the pre-orders, then a few months later can the Vessyl itself. Since accepting the Pryme Vessyl for "free" also accepts their convoluted agreement that you can't get your money back any more, I'm sure this is their play to avoid lawsuits.

Reactions: kwikdeth

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
They came up with this one as they could not deliver the one they hooked every one on , and their limited qty to boot , go figure ??

What annoyed me was their "early preorder price! ending soon!" kept getting extended. It was $99 for about a year past the original 'deadline'. I was interested in it, but lack of detail, combined with slimy marketing turned me off.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
A $100 dollars for a bottle with batteries that you have to take everywhere, no thanks.

Every body is different, but as long as you are drinking 2-3 litters of water a day you are fine, no need for a $100 glass, just have a 1 litter pitcher at the office and other 1 litter pitcher at the house, at the end of the day make sure you drank all of it, plus any extra water you drink else where and you are fine.

There's no evidence that drinking 2-3 liters of water is necessary or even particularly healthful.

Aaannd... here's a source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
This product ranks up there as one of the most useless products ever. What's next? A mask that measures how much air you breathe? For godssakes, if you're thirsty, go drink water. If you really must measure it, drink out of a measuring cup. Why on earth would anyone need to know measurements?

zonk44

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2013
Switzerland
There's no evidence that drinking 2-3 liters of water is necessary or even particularly healthful.

Aaannd... here's a source:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

This. Everyone, even doctors, are spreading the 2-3l myth. But what does science say? There is 0/zero hint or evidence that drinking over your thirst is healthy or gives you any health benefit.

There is a reason why our thirst has been balanced out the way it is through evolution, otherwise we would have not evolved and all died from forgetting to drink water.

I hope this stupid water drinking myth finally dies soon, can't hear it anymore

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

purplehaze0

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Harrogate, England
I know there are millions of people throughout the world without access to clean water, but I think it's very important that I keep track of my own water consumption automatically. While it will be a bit inconvenient to drink water only from this expensive networked vessel, I think it's worth it to make sure I'm tracking my water consumption as accurately as possible. I could probably donate that $100 to an aid organization focused on water rights, but to me, this is much more important.

And I know what you're saying -- yes, the raw materials, manufacturing, shipping and marketing of devices like this come at an environmental cost, but I think it's well worth it, don't you?
No

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
Another indispensable gadget, world has been waiting for.

Now bring it along with a daily CO2 measurement box and I'm in.
I even have a name proposal: "Pryme Wynd Break".

Last edited:

bugout

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
is everything!
I am such a sucker for a gadget that I pre-ordered a Vessyl back in Aug 2014. At that time, they claimed they would be shipping in "early 2015."

After many, many delays, they came out with this interim product, and offered one for free to anyone who would give up their right to a refund on the Vessyl-- which customers had paid for over a year earlier, and which at this point still has no release date.

I asked for my refund instead-- that was on Oct 27. I got no response at all until 11/3, when I was told "Due to the high level of transactions we're handling right now, it may take up to 30 business days for the refund to process and update in your account. "

True to that timeline, two weeks later, still no sign of the refund. They've been happy to keep my money for more than a year, but they sure aren't quick to return it after delaying the release date time and again.

I would advise MacRumors readers to stay far away from this company: I don't believe they have the tech they claim.

I requested a refund after the second delay and got it about a month later.

Reactions: matthewsalibi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.